walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Mountain coward's post about the haunted bothy in 'Mountain Days and Bothy Nights' got me googling, and it seems quite a few walkers have had spooky encounters on walks and bothy stays e.g. Ryovan Bothy :shock: .

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8732

I'm just wondering if anyone has any spooky stories of their own they wish to share, giant footsteps behind you on Ben Macdui and such-like? 8)

Would love to hear them :D :D :D

I haven't got any of my own...yet :shifty: . Had a few ghostly encounters when I was younger but not walking or in a bothy.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Re: Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Postby sloosh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Scared the c*** out of myself sharing ghost stories with some other walkers in Corrour bothy, not helped I might add, by the herd of deer lurking outside the front door when I finally plucked up the courage to go outside to answer the call (this was before they built the toilet that's there now). They were possessed I tell you! :shock: :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 pm

:lol:

That's the stuff, sloosh, ghost stories by the camp fire (or torch light in a bothy) :D :thumbup: . MC has scared me with a couple of her spooky tales before :shock: .

Go on, tell me one, I've got all the lights in my flat on and I've just checked...all clear, no deer outside my door :lol:
walk aboot

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:59 pm

There are a couple of stories on the web generally about Ryvoan Bothy being haunted, and dogs being freaked out in it. Last time I was there I didn't go in because someone had their dog inside and it was barking like mad (sounded like a big dog). The other bothy I've heard about is the Ben Alder one...the only time I nearly stayed there the walking trip was called off due to the weather, phew :) .
walk aboot

Postby Stretch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't know about 'bump' in the night, but that mouse at the Callater Bothy on my first ever bothy night was aggrevating to say the least :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tango » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 pm

I saw a ghost of a postman on Otterburn training area witnessed by 4 grown sober man!!!!weird :D its a very long story so i wont bore you death!! with the details but that's my ghost story & I'm sticking with it!! always good at a BBQ late at night when its dark & everybody is oiled up :evil:
tango

Postby fedupofuserids » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:16 pm

My dad once heard a baby crying when staying in a remote cottage, both his border terriers jumped up growling at the same time.
fedupofuserids

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:23 pm

:thumbup:

A wee sleekit not so cow'rin tim'rous beastie :lol: , a postman, and a crying baby so far...

I used to see druids when I was younger...well, I assume they were druids, brown hooded cloaks, lanterns, walking round rowan trees, etc. Other folk saw them at different times from me, but if I saw them when I was with others, they wouldn't see them :shock: .

I grew up in Westend (next to the State Hospital, Carstairs) and I think the land was forested (Forests of Carnwath) at one time. Can anyone shed any light on an association with druids or such-like around there?
walk aboot

Postby Glenrothes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:35 pm

I stayed a night last year in the bothy at Corryhully with several walkers and there was lots of strange noises :?

Most of which were odious in nature and very 'anal'............ :lol: :wink:
Glenrothes

Postby mountainstar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 pm

I think I told you about this one in Glencoe Walk-aboot, but here goes again....
Whilst stopping at "the tarf hotel" Feith uaine bothy on my own in august 05, I also had a scary night. At around 5am I was awoken by what sounded like a loud human sneeze, which came from inside the bothy. I thought someone had arrived during the night & was in the next room, but I wasn't brave enough to go & have a look :shock: I lay still for 10 mins but heard no further noise. I managed to doze off again, but was awoken again by the front door opening & banging in the wind, again I stayed put! Soon after that, a 3rd "noise" which was the most scary....what sounded like 2 heavy stones thrown very loudly against the wooden panelled walls above me, :o I stayed put again! Somehow managed to get another hour or two,s sleep & was glad to see the light of day, but was still freaked out & was glad to leave. Don,t think I will be going there on my own again! Still get a chill down my back thinking about it now. :twisted:

I have also stopped at Ryvoan twice and knew about the stories, but luckily had no ghostly encounter,
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 pm

Yup, I remember you telling this tale mountainstar :shock: . Fortunately it was AFTER I had stayed in the Tarf Hotel bothy myself, where I had a good night's sleep thanks to drinking too much whiskey :oops: :P :D .

As I said, I was googling bothy ghost stories, and other walkers have had similar experiences to your own. That's why I started the thread. Surely with so many bothy-ers and wild campers on WH, there will be a few more with spooky encounters to share...
walk aboot

Postby mountainstar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I've got a picture of a ghost (yes really) but I did not take it, so I'm not sure I should show it here (It is a photo I took of an original photo...if you know what I mean?) Taken in a well known place in the Highlands.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby walk aboot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:50 pm

:shock: If you do post it I'm sleeping with the lights ON tonight :lol:
walk aboot

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:22 am

Fantastic post WA! :D I just love reading about stuff like this and have had, like you mention above, quite a few strange experiences, one of which was also seen by the guy I was walking home with at the time - and I at least was sober! I think half the reason I want to stay in bothies is to try to see something spooky... but not on my own! I think Mountainstar's experience in Feith Uaine would definitely freak me out if I was there on my own! :o
mountain coward

Postby mountainstar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 am

Whilst in Bendronaig Bothy in September this year, I had the company of a fellow bothier Andrew, we chatted by the fire until 11.30 swapping storeys of past adventures, including my scary experience of “noises” heard in The Tarf Hotel Bothy, he told me whilst at Pean Bothy with 3 of his friends, he went outside for a leak in the darkness, as soon as he stepped outside he felt an “evil presence” even though he did not see anything he felt he could touch it, as soon as he stepped back inside the evil left, he said nothing to his 3 mates thinking he would be ridiculed and ribbed for being so stupid. Later he went outside again and as soon as he stepped outside the evil presence was there again, as he went back in it left, he passed one of his mates in the 2nd room who was cutting wood and asked him if he had noticed anything outside.....he had felt it as well, but had not said anything, he then repeated his story to the other two, who also revealed that they had had the same experience! The next morning when stepping out the "evil" was gone.
This story really put the shivers up me, more so as I was planning of stopping in there in October.
October came and this had been on my mind ever since, undecided on whether to stop or not, my trip then was visiting Inverie and several Bothys from Strathan :- Sourlies Bothy / A’chuil Bothy / Kinbreak Bothy and .....Pean. The trip had gone to plan for the first 4 nights, but the visit to Pean was still in much doubt and weighing on my mind, luckily for me, the weather was to make up my mind as the rain that started on the fourth day was going to continue...It did not take much to get the hell from there...in fact I think I would have bottled it even if the sun was blazing down....it still went dark at 6pm! :twisted:
mountainstar
Walker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion