walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tryfan route question

Tryfan route question

Postby al78 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Last time I looked at Tryfan, I couldn't find the way up from the north, and I think that was because I had tried to start too far east along the main road. I've been having a look at it using Google Earth and have drawn a route which looks like a feasible way up for someone who is capable of grade 1 scrambling. Can you please tell me if this route I have marked is feasible.

tryfanroute.png
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Tryfan route question

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:59 pm

I've had a couple of goes at Tryfan, both times had to change my plans because of the weather.

Have a look at this route,

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1crJW5pFV3bHjvMdpm410F8WBZ-48BXsg&ll=53.11317395202475%2C-4.006707949999964&z=15

anyway, this is a good guide

https://www.ukscrambles.com/wales-scrambles/tryfan-north-ridge-scramble/
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:56 pm

The "normal" route starts as for you diagram but goes more or less to the end of the initial ramp before heading up. Your line goes up a grass gully - there are possible lines around there, but they are not that well travelled and it is easy to get yourself onto terrain that is harder than Grade 1.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby davekeiller » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 pm

The other option is to approach from the campsite.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby al78 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

jmarkb wrote:The "normal" route starts as for you diagram but goes more or less to the end of the initial ramp before heading up. Your line goes up a grass gully - there are possible lines around there, but they are not that well travelled and it is easy to get yourself onto terrain that is harder than Grade 1.

Thanks for that, so I can carry on up a bit further before turning right to climb steeply and gain the ridge proper. I wasn't sure how easy the scrambling was on the rocky bit to the left of the red line, but if it is not technically difficult I'll have a go. I'm more interested in checking I have got the start of the route correct, which it seems I have. If I have the start of the route correct I can always look for a suitable continuation when I am there.

This is on my list of hill outings to do, Tryfan followed by Bristly ridge, then knocking off all summits along that ridge round to Elidir Fawr.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

al78 wrote:Thanks for that, so I can carry on up a bit further before turning right to climb steeply and gain the ridge proper.

Yes, that’s right. It’s a popular scramble so if you find yourself on ground that’s not well worn, you are probably off route. Hope you have a good trip, it’s a great day out!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm

This is a picture of my track up in October, and I'm also pretty much a Grade 1 scrambler. A bit of up-and-down-faffing that better scramblers would shake their head at in despair. :crazy: But I thoroughly enjoyed it and with concentration certainly didn't find it beyond my abilities. (Like you, I'm also in W Sussex, so don't exactly get to practise. :( )

Hope you have a great day!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion