walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Linn of Dee car park

Linn of Dee car park

Postby Elenorwalsh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Hey,

I'm heading up for my first wild camping trip in scotland next weekend, we are aiming to drive up to the linn of dee car park on friday 26th and hike out from there for 3 days, towards loch avon, and maybe do a few munros too. I've heard that sometimes the linn of dee car park can be full - do you reckon on a friday morning we would be ok to get a space? how much is it to park there?

also any tips for routes around this area would be great, our plans quite flexible and we've got GPS but if anyone has anything they'd like to share would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!

Elenor Walsh
Elenorwalsh
Mountaineer

Re: Linn of Dee car park

Postby Scraggygoat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Almost certain you will find a space on a Friday early am.

I can't remember what the parking charge is, I stopped paying once the SNT failed to maintain thier toilets. The car park used to be free(for decades), then they put facilities in and started charging, which was all fair, and an improvement. But while the facilities have now been broken for several years, the trust have spence thousands and thousands on unnecessary fancy branded signs around the car park in the interim, and replaced the pay machines. Management priorities are obviously wrong..... Rant over.

Have a good time.
Scraggygoat

Postby Hike Man » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:41 pm

You have many options from Linn of Dee and all route descriptions on the site for the Munros in the area are worth a look. There are also three handy Bothies which can serve as a back up if you don’t fancy the tent. I’ve never seen the car park full, enjoy your time in the hills and valleys.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 pm

The charge is £3 or £4 per day but I don’t like putting a ticket in my car as it lets people know when you left. Glen Feshie, Lairig Ghru, Braeriach, Devils Point, Ben Macdui and Lairig an Laoigh are all very accessible. Walk through towards Aviemore and camp in Rothiemurchus or the Bothy in Glen Feshie. Keep an eye on the weather as it maybe getting windy and the tops could be hard going if you are carrying all your gear.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Elenorwalsh » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to setting off later this week. How do you go about not putting a ticket in your car? Can you pay via an app? Or are the parking wardens a little less vigilant in Scotland? :lol:
Elenorwalsh
Mountaineer

Postby Scottk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:59 pm

The car park fee is more like a contribution-you can’t get fined. I pay on leaving. The toilets are now the port a loo type.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Holly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:40 pm

I have never seen the car park full. I too, pay on leaving,. There are portaloo toilets. The NTS built an eco friendly compost toilet facility a while back however due to visitors not following instructions for use, it was forever being rendered unusable and thus eventually after several attempts to maintain it, was eventually closed. Like others have said, have a look on the this site for fab walk descriptions , routes etc and I am sure you will have a brill time.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:03 am

I've seen the car park full, but only during the day on a sunny Saturday or Sunday.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Davecramb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Scottk wrote:The car park fee is more like a contribution-you can’t get fined. I pay on leaving. The toilets are now the port a loo type.

Port a disgusting. Been twice recently and they were horrid.
Davecramb

Munros:49   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion