walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Highland Way Weather Concerns

West Highland Way Weather Concerns

Postby Dweezil03 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm

First time long distance walker here. Me and my partner have been considering walking the WHW on a 6 day routine starting tomorrow or Thursday.

I am a bit concerned with the reports of thunderstorms coming in. Unfortunately if we can't do it this week then we'll have to postpone it till late summer. What would you guys advise? Would it be better to postpone or just do it?
Dweezil03
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Islands:2

Re: West Highland Way Weather Concerns

Postby fhaggis » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:14 am

Just do it. Plenty of places to stop for shelter and a coffee along the way. Also, always pretty close to a road if you want to to bail out and and get a bus or taxi!

Enjoy!
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

Regardless of thunderstorms, its going to rain, so take your rain gear. Not sure which forecast your reading, but the one's I can see are very variable, with only the potential for thunderstorms tomorrow, but it looks intermittent rather than full on. Keep checking the forecast, and if its a real issue for you, you can wait out a storm in one of the pubs on the early leg of the route.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby al78 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:01 am

I got hit by thunderstorms when I walked the Minigaig last June. You can normally see them developing, and hear the thunder before you get under them. I would advise keeping an eye on the sky when you are walking and look out for towering, deep cumulus clouds building during the late morning/early afternoon. In the Scottish highlands, the mountains will heavily influence low level winds which dictates where the storms will preferentially form. When I did the Minigaig they were developing over the pass itself, likely due to convergence of winds being funneled up the glens. If you see and hear storms and you are approaching a section where you will gain significant altitude, stop low and wait it out, they will typically only last about half an hour before dissipating or moving on, and it is better to be safe than sorry. I foolishly carried on regardless and ended up scurrying to a local low spot, hunkering down in my tent, and praying I wouldn't get hit by lightning.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion