walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Maole Lunndaidh - Alternative approaches

Maole Lunndaidh - Alternative approaches

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am

Hi guys

Has anyone approached Maole Lunndaidh from Strathconon area? I'm on holiday near Beauly over the next few days and the forecast looks glorious. I don't fancy the long drive to Craig, which as far as i can tell leave approaches from the Monar Dam and potentially the parking area near Scardroy lodge.

Satellite photos suggest a decent, and mountain-bikeable landy track for at least 2.5 miles, I'm just wondering if the stalkers path thereafter is bikable to any extent, and indeed what folk's opinions are of the approach.

Monar dam approach looks nice, but I'd rather not be "on the clock" in terms of Strathfarrar's access arrangements, plus it doesn't appear to be at all MTB-able beyond Monar lodge.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Maole Lunndaidh - Alternative approaches

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 am

Not sure, but should be interesting! You could also cycle up Strathfarrar, meaning no gate restrictions.

One thing to note is that the Strathconon road is really slow and twisty, and you would be able to drive round to Craig in pretty much the same time. Every time I decide to go up Strathconon for a short, close-to-home day out, it takes me as long to get to the foot of the hills as it would to get to the likes of Kinlochewe.

Worth a visit regardless, as it is a really nice glen.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am

I have been in from Scardroy in winter with an overnight stay in a shack near Glenuaig Lodge before getting to Maole Lunndaidh on the following day. Around 12 kls. from Scardroy perhaps?
The other tops I reached from the road down to Loch Carron and with an stay at the Bearneas Bothy.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby magicdin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am

Yes approached Maole Lunndaidh from Scardroy to also take in An Sithean a few years ago mind you - fine walk on good tracks :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 am

If you do go in from Scardroy, don't forget that an Alan Dawson survey showed Creag Toll a' Choin to be 30cm higher than Maoile Lunndaidh (though the SMC Munros list has not caught up with this yet!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby St Pedro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Maole Lunndaidh approach from Monar Dam is an excellent route, we did this years ago and would recommend as approach to all.
Track is cyclable on MTB all way to Toll breac odhar and bridge, then get excellent corrie circuit.
Fantastic walk in alongside Loch as views get more rugged as progress.

My 2006 comments from munromagic
- Recommend Loch Monar approach = 7.25 hrs for our party of 5, leave car at dam takes 1.5 hrs alongside loch to main bridge , superb route around corrie rim and huge cairn on plateau, good stalking path into corrie, with bridges over main water courses.
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:08 pm

We also climbed An Sidhean from Scardroy. It's a reasonable track at least as far as we walked. Don't know how far you could cycle to ML from this side, but with so much dry weather recently, even on foot it should be easy going.

My report on An Sidhean, if it can help:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71936

You may bump into me or Kevin if you visit Beauly :wink:
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:05 pm

It's less than an hour to drive from Beauly to Craig. The approach from Strathconon looks a good alternative though.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 pm

gaffr wrote:I have been in from Scardroy in winter with an overnight stay in a shack near Glenuaig Lodge before getting to Maole Lunndaidh on the following day. Around 12 kls. from Scardroy perhaps?
The other tops I reached from the road down to Loch Carron and with an stay at the Bearneas Bothy.

Thanks Gaffr. I believe that shed is still there!

magicdin wrote:Yes approached Maole Lunndaidh from Scardroy to also take in An Sithean a few years ago mind you - fine walk on good tracks :D

Thanks magicdin

jmarkb wrote:If you do go in from Scardroy, don't forget that an Alan Dawson survey showed Creag Toll a' Choin to be 30cm higher than Maoile Lunndaidh (though the SMC Munros list has not caught up with this yet!).

I'll definitely be visiting both tops. It's a long way to go to miss that actual summit :lol:

St Pedro wrote:Maole Lunndaidh approach from Monar Dam is an excellent route, we did this years ago and would recommend as approach to all.
Track is cyclable on MTB all way to Toll breac odhar and bridge, then get excellent corrie circuit.
Fantastic walk in alongside Loch as views get more rugged as progress.

My 2006 comments from munromagic
- Recommend Loch Monar approach = 7.25 hrs for our party of 5, leave car at dam takes 1.5 hrs alongside loch to main bridge , superb route around corrie rim and huge cairn on plateau, good stalking path into corrie, with bridges over main water courses.

Hmmm. Food for thought. Thanks :D

BlackPanther wrote:We also climbed An Sidhean from Scardroy. It's a reasonable track at least as far as we walked. Don't know how far you could cycle to ML from this side, but with so much dry weather recently, even on foot it should be easy going.

My report on An Sidhean, if it can help:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71936

You may bump into me or Kevin if you visit Beauly :wink:
Cheers
BP

Yeah the dry weather was one reason I was considering this alternative. We're staying in Torgormack. It's a lovely wee place, stayed there 2 years ago. I'm up for the Etape Loch Ness but looking to take advantage of the forecast for hills as well. Is the Fish & Chip shop in Beauly still good? :lol:

Sunset tripper wrote:It's less than an hour to drive from Beauly to Craig. The approach from Strathconon looks a good alternative though.
All the best. :D

Thanks Sunset tripper

malky_c wrote:Not sure, but should be interesting! You could also cycle up Strathfarrar, meaning no gate restrictions.

One thing to note is that the Strathconon road is really slow and twisty, and you would be able to drive round to Craig in pretty much the same time. Every time I decide to go up Strathconon for a short, close-to-home day out, it takes me as long to get to the foot of the hills as it would to get to the likes of Kinlochewe.

Worth a visit regardless, as it is a really nice glen.

Aye it looks good in the Geograph photos I can find. Should be pretty quiet as well. My mates did ML by bike last year and were almost in tears cycling up the track from Craig :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I went in (May 2007) from the Monar dam on a friend's boat (which broke down for 45 minutes mid-loch but it was a pleasant interlude rather than a proper annoyance). Climbed the Munro and came back over the Corbett, nice way to do it. But you do need a friend who can put a boat on Loch Monar.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:11 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Is the Fish & Chip shop in Beauly still good? :lol:

People say it is. Personally, I don't eat fish and chips so can't say for sure :wink:

As for the Scardroy approach to ML, I was thinking of something like that:

lunnadaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Length: 9.46 miles 15.2 km
Ascent: +964m -119m
Naismith: 4h 39m

That's just one way so if you retrace your steps it would be roughly 30km, ascent is not drastically big so should be doable in a day.

The final part would be past this lochan up to the col between the two tops. Doesn't seem too steep and there are no visible obstacles:

Anyway, enjoy your day, whichever route you take :D
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby prog99 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:44 pm

jupe1407 wrote:My mates did ML by bike last year and were almost in tears cycling up the track from Craig :lol:

No pain, no gain :) Think of the cycle out.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion