walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

South Glen Shiel Ridge and the Five Sisters

South Glen Shiel Ridge and the Five Sisters

Postby MountainManMark » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi folks,

I have some time off work in July and provided I get the weather I’m looking at doing the south glen shiel ridge and the five sisters over a couple of days and camping at Morvich.

I’d be doing this solo and was wondering for those who have done these 2 routes how you worked in in terms of logistics,car, bus etc?

I was thinking of driving to the start point then getting the bus back to car both days, for those who have done this which bus is it, city link or local and do you know best places to catch it?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Re: South Glen Shiel Ridge and the Five Sisters

Postby DopeyLoser » Thu May 16, 2019 4:04 pm

The Scottish Citylink web site shows the timetable and prices for e.g. Cluanie Inn to Shiel Bridge. Looks like a single ticket is £8.40.

South ridge: if you can take a bike with you then it is easy to cycle part way up the glen to Malagan then do the ridge W to E (perhaps not the most common direction). Then the bus down the glen. I'm never sure whether in these days of rampant rule-following whether drivers are going to be willing to stop at non-official stops, but when I did this exact same route I had no problem getting off at Malagan Bridge.

[Edit: it is also easy to use your car and park near Malagan Bridge]

If I was doing the Five Sisters now from Morvich I would just walk east up Gleann Lichd then go south up to the ridge at Bealach an Lapain. But the way I did it years ago was to get a bus up the glen and ask to get off, probably at the parking spot below Bealach an Lapain i.e. a mile up from the battle site. I suppose that is a bit less walking but you need to hope the driver will stop when you put your hand out, then let you off where you ask. (This works in my experience as long as you give the driver a sensible safe place to stop).
DopeyLoser

Postby Coop » Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Lucked out and caught a lift back when I did the SGS ridge.
Walked back the 5 miles to the car park when I did the brothers, no joy hitchin- no fun!!
When I did the sisters I managed to catch the bus at the jacobite and he dropped me off at "the 5 sisters car park" - £8 it was then. I'd hitch if I did it again rather than give him the rip off fare again
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 pm

I've done the south ridge munros by leaving the car at the Cluanie Inn and cycling the few miles all downhill to the big long car park at the bottom of the hill. It's wacky races if your cycling on that road. I did the cycle at the start about 6 am to avoid the heavy traffic but still got slipstreamed by a couple of juggernauts.
The WH route suggests east to west which saves a good bit of ascent. West to East is just as good though and you can take a short cut and save some mileage off the last munro back to Cluanie.
The WH route down is longer but on good stalkers paths and then the old Tomdoun road.

The bike means you have no concerns about transport back to the start.
All the best :D.
Sunset tripper

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 pm

The way I would go is take a tent or just sleeping bag(hoping for good weather) and leave car at Cluanie Inn.
Walk South Glen Shiel ridge and come off Creag nan Damph,head north to pick up the Am Fas Allt and the stalkers path to Eas nam Arm Bridge(Glen Shiel Battle) nice for camping,head about 2km back up road for access to Bealach an Lapain and the Five Sisters,thumb a lift or catch bus or taxi(bus could be quite busy in July so you might have to book a time)
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 am

Like others, I used a bike to close the loop.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 am

For the Five Sisters I would strongly recommend walking up the Affric-Kintail Way from Morvich as far as Glenlicht House before heading up to Bealach an Lapain from the north. There is a good path that goes up the west side of the burn further than indicated on the map and then there are a few obvious lines up onto the ridge. It does away with the need for dodging camper vans on the A87 and gives a great walk in too. It seems to be a seldom used approach to the Five Sisters but I think it's the most sensible if you're not able to do two cars.

For the South Glenshiel Ridge you could park at and walk down from the Cluanie Inn down the A87 and do the ridge west-east. It'd probably be about two hours of walking along the road but if you start out early doors, i.e. 06:00, the road won't be too busy and should give you time to get back along the ridge and down to your car to be back for later afternoon/early evening.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri May 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Passing through Kintail this week I noticed that the carpark at the Cluanie Inn has been taken over by the construction vehicles and caravans, it looks like it will not be available for walkers to use for many months, if indeed it does get reopened for the public!
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Lournieloon » Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Passing through Kintail this week I noticed that the carpark at the Cluanie Inn has been taken over by the construction vehicles and caravans, it looks like it will not be available for walkers to use for many months, if indeed it does get reopened for the public!

Just back from doing SGS Ridge, Three Brothers and Beinn Fhada.
I was parked on the road to the start of SGS Ridge, two parking places for about nine cars if dumped sensibly. The Clunie is having lots of work done, as said, whether walkers vehicles will be welcome on completion is questionable although there is a large area across the road where workmen accomodation and plant yard is which may be turned into a mega car park ?
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby GillSte » Sat May 18, 2019 11:16 am

Why not get the bus up to the start? That way you're not worrying about missing the bus back. It also gives the option to hitch a lift while waiting for the bus.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion