walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

White Mounth Munros - Drinking water

White Mounth Munros - Drinking water

Postby Matthew3100 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:44 pm

white-mounth.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I am looking to do the White Mounth munros next month, I will be splitting the hike into two days. I was wondering how plentiful water sources are around the route as I would rather just refill bottles as I go. I am planning on bringing my dog with me, she will be on the lead as she is prone to wandering, is there a lot of wildlife around the area?
Matthew3100
Scrambler

Sub 2000:2   

Re: White Mounth Munros - Drinking water

Postby Avocetboy » Thu May 23, 2019 10:58 am

Did the same round in summer a couple of years ago and cannot recall seeing any water sources once up high. Also, saw loads of hares, deer, plovers etc.
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu May 23, 2019 12:01 pm

There's reliable water at the Fox Cairn Well (grid ref 263 857), good for filing up with drinking water for the final pull up the steep section to follow, assuming you are going anticlockwise. If travelling clockwise, the last reliable water is at the head of Loch Muick. Other than that, it will be a case of dropping down to the head of the nearest stream to where you intend to camp. How far you have to descend will depend on how dry the conditions are at the time of your trip. There's quite a nice little sheltered area by the stream just to the east of Cairn Bannoch (grid ref 228 825 approx). Not sure if there's any tent-sized flat spots there though.

There will be quite a lot of wildlife up there at that time of year. Grouse on the slopes, ptarmigan, plover and mountain hare on the plateau.

I'm also thinking that rather than taking the path that skirts to the south of Carn an t-Sagairt Beag, you'd be better to keep your height and traverse over that top if you're intent on bagging the Munros on either side.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Hike Man » Thu May 23, 2019 8:24 pm

It’s a nice round that and can easily be done in one day, weather and legs permitting. There are what I’d call ditches that you cross on your route but I wouldn’t like to say what quality the water was.

I did it many years ago on a sunny September Sunday and carried all the water I required so didn’t have to source when up there. Make sure the camera is fully charged, you might need it. Huge herd of red deer came stampeding across not far from us that day and I could feel the ground vibrate due to their presence. Fantastic day it was although the walk out along the loch seemed to drag a bit.

Good luck and enjoy the camping.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun May 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Study the route you posted in 1:25k scale for burns and lochans. I imagine you want have to travel too far to find water.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Runci21 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:11 pm

we did this last weekend over 2 days but we included tolmount and tom buidhe as well. not a lot of water sources on top but we did pass over a small burn on route to tom buidhe which we got water from. we went as far as cut off point for tolmount near cairn bannock on day one and nipped out and most of gear in tents to do tolmount and tom buildhe before finishing circuit.
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 pm

most of the time if a stream is marked on the 1:25 000 map it is fairly reliable. However in a very dry spell it might not be.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Cinimod63 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Just walked this and had read the thread before I went. We’re all different so I guess that there is no right answer to this.

I am over 6 foot, 102 kg drink a fair amount of water. 3 litres was enough, but the weather was mixed, cloudy with half the time in mist. My partner Rach is 5’6, size 10 and 1 and a half litres was ample.
Great walk, would recommend.
Cinimod63
Walker

Munros:54   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:10   Islands:48

Postby Scottk » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:34 pm

If going anti clockwise, there is a burn you cross after the 2nd Munro as you drop down with carn an t-sagairt beag on your right. After that there’s not much near the path until you drop down to the loch. Going clockwise might be better- fill up at that burn and camp up near carn an t-saigart beag. I must add that I have never camped it but always done it in a day.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion