walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Can you bike up Glen Feshie east side from Achlean ?

Can you bike up Glen Feshie east side from Achlean ?

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I see that the old bridge on the west side is still down, am looking to bike up to the track that heads up to Mullach Clach a Blair, dump the bike(s) and head up. Weather permitting head over to Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain and back same way. Have MTB and we've done a few bike and hikes (none this year yet though due to son studying and exams).
Thanks and targetting this thursday or friday for any takers !
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Can you bike up Glen Feshie east side from Achlean ?

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon May 27, 2019 7:15 pm

You can take the bike to the summit of Mullach Clach a Bhlair and beyond all the way to the end of the track just before the river crossing on the approach to Tom Dubh. Some river crossings early on and a bit of pushing but well worth it due to the easy return. I've also cycled in from Linn of Dee and turned right after White Bridge to near the bottom of Beinn Bhrotain which is a good approach also and a far easier cycle. A boggy walk out along Glen Geusachan though. If I did it again (which is unlikely :D )I think I would go over Bhrotain twice. :D
The WH route is a good route if you choose to go without the bikes. All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gaffr » Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 am

Personally I avoid the new path and the crossing of the Garbhlach burn using the recent path and crossing.
With a bike look for the old wee path through the heather, shown on my 1:25,000 and on the 1:50,000 maps, quicker and easier to get you over the burn. Continue back on yourself for a short distance and then into the plantation, on a path, to continue on the old land rover type track and after a we uphill bit passing the new path on your right.
Can't give you a map ref. since both my maps don't show the new path so a precise ref. I cannot give for the junction of the two.
Further on where the track comes close to the Feshie a section has been washed away. Haven't been up that way since Easter and there was some sort of bypass? being scraped out....maybe in use now?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby luckyd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:41 pm

This is 18 months late but I've cycled up Glen Feshie recently so have info that may be useful. The old path leaves the new one at NN 8510 9579 and crosses the Allt Garbhlach at 8513 9539. The path is easy to follow but starting to get overgrown with heather and young trees however crossing the Allt Garbhlach here with a bike is far better than where the new path takes you to. Further on at 8499 9436, the path going down hill to the right has been completely washed away by the river. The new track to its left is now complete and makes for easy cycling.
luckyd
Rambler

Munros:127   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:167   

Postby Pappi » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 am

luckyd thanks for the update very helpful. do you know if the Feshie Bothy is unlocked for emergency use?
Pappi
Wanderer

Postby gaffr » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Have never found the Bothy Ruigh Aiteachain to be locked up.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby luckyd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:56 pm

The bothy was open when I was last up there a few weeks ago. I didn't go in but there was vehicle outside that I think belongs the the chap who goes up there most days to look after it and smoke was coming from the chimney. We had tea and biscuits with him last January while he told us about all the regeneration work being done by the estate.
luckyd
Rambler

Munros:127   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:167   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion