walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar Fasciitis

Postby Khal » Thu May 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi unfortunately I’ve been suffering with plantar fasciitis for the last few months. So not been able to do much hill walking or camping. I normally wear Salomon quest 4d boots, which I replaced for a lighter pair of salomon boots. Was wondering what would be the best insoles to use to help absorb the impacts.
Thanks any advice appreciated.
Khal
Scrambler

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Postby simon-b » Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi Khal.

I used to get heel pain and have found X-line Pressure Perfect insoles work well in mountain walking boots. They are thicker than regular insoles so do reduce the volume in the boot to an extent. It's also worth exercising your feet with a therapy ball. Heelfix supply such a ball and a leaflet with suitable exercises. You could also try Heelfix insoles if the X-line ones I suggested are too thick for your boots, although the latter do provide more cushioning.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 pm

I had plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago and found that there are two approaches to treating it, but the first step is common to both, and unfortunately it is to rest your feet as much as possible until the foot or feet have healed. This could take several months and unfortunately means no hillwalking.

The mainstream approach is to consider the condition to be a weakness in the foot which should be supported by orthotics. The newer and more controversial approach is to consider the weakness as due to too much support (shoes are not natural, we didn't evolve to wear them) and so we need to built the strength in the foot by ultimately removing the support as much as possible by walking barefoot where possible and wearing less supportive footwear. You need to build up to this over time. This is the approach that worked for me.

I also found that a contributory cause is often having too tight calf muscles. There are a couple of stretching exercises for this and they helped me greatly.

I've not been bothered by PF for about 18 months now. I went from being worried that I would be able to carry on working to pain free in about 3 months, and walked over 16 miles last Saturday with no sign of PF.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Khal » Thu May 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.
Simon-b I will look into you suggestions. I bought some insoles from boots but they made no difference. But if x line worked for you I’ll give them a try. I’ve also been using a can of beans to help stretch my foot, but I’ll look into the heelfix ball as well. Thanks for your help.
Hopefully I’ll find something that works
Khal
Scrambler

Postby Khal » Thu May 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Ben Nachie
Thanks for all your advice. It’s good to hear that you managing your PF. My calf muscles are pretty tight, never really thought of doing stretching exercises for PF.
It’s just frustrating not getting out into the hills. But I’ll definitely take on board all your advice.
Once again thanks for all your insight and advice. Hopefully I’ll be back in the hills soon. It’s always good and encouraging to hear that someone else has managed to overcome PF and enjoying the hills.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Thu May 30, 2019 10:03 pm

You can massage your foot with the ball by rolling it as with the can. The advantage of the ball is that you can also do strengthening exercises, e.g. picking it up with your toes. I definitely agree with Ben it's worth doing something to strengthen your feet.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 31, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Khal, had it a few years ago for many months out of action. Physio at first suggested rolling base of foot on golf ball, similar to already suggested. This did not help mine very much, in the end it took three cortisone injections over many months and proper orthopaedic built insoles to finally rectify the problem. Bad news the length of time getting the right medical support, good news no further problems and back on the hill. Don't get too down in the meantime👍😁
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Khal » Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it.
I’m gonna use the ball that Simon recommend and see how that goes. I did some calf stretching like Ben suggested this morning and surprisingly it seems to help.
Thanks for all the great advice.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby Broselug » Fri May 31, 2019 3:20 pm

HI Khal,

I also suffered from PF which came from nowhere as i reached 40. Following a recommendation, I tried the Superfeet (green ones) orthotic insoles and the effect was virtually instantaneous. I wore the insoles and didn't have any more problems. if i wore shoes without the insoles I would often get the PF pain again. So insoles all the time to start with.

I was worried that this would limit me (mainly on holiday - flip flops and bare feet cant include insoles!) so i started stretching my leg muscles and massaging feet and legs with one of those knobbly balls (you can but a fancy one but i discovered that the pet store sells identical ones for dog toys) to loosen the calves and hamstrings and ITBs.

I also started walking barefoot around the house after reading that this may help strengthen the foot.

I can now wear shoes without orthotics and wore flipflops for a week solid on holiday (I find that the curling effect of keeping the flipflop on exacerbates the PF usually) - no problems so something is working!

I do keep the orthotics in my walking boots - makes a wonderful snug fit and the hill is not the place to test the resilience of my arches!

Good luck
Broselug
Mountaineer

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:29 pm

I had PF and wor lass (a GP) suggested I stopped walking barefoot at home and wear good soles in my trainers round the house

She also suggested doing ballet like heel to tip toes to build up strength.

Both approaches worked after a week or so though I doubt I will get a call from Sadlers Wells.......
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Khal » Fri May 31, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Broselug, I’ve ordered a ball from Amazon, hopefully I should get it next week so I hope it works.
I’ve started doing calf stretches like Ben recommended and it seems to make a huge difference, I wasn’t hobbling around as much this morning lol.
It’s really positive to hear that you’ve got your PF under control. Hope to be there soon.

“I do keep the orthotics in my walking boots - makes a wonderful snug fit and the hill is not the place to test the resilience of my arches!” I feel you :lol:
Khal
Scrambler

Postby Khal » Fri May 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi Mynthdd2,
Can’t really see myself in a tutu doing ballet. :crazy: but I get the drift of it. I’ve been doing stretching exercises as well as tiptoeing, I’ve also been bending my foot back and forth which seems to be helping.
Just missed being out in the hills. Was looking for a quick fix to get out camping but unfortunately seems ill need to take it slow for the next few months, just in time for the midges.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:55 pm

go for the tutu -surprise and amaze your family and friends by going for an arabesque which will take your mind off your PF
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 am

mynthdd2 wrote:go for the tutu -surprise and amaze your family and friends by going for an arabesque which will take your mind off your PF

I have been told on good authority that my father once performed the dying swan dressed in a tutu and army boots at his company's xmas pantomime. There lies the root of my daftness!

Back on topic, I developed PF in my left foot having stupidly dug over a large area of garden in inappropriate footwear. I can vouch that whatever remedies/allievements you adopt, it takes about a year to clear up, though never fully goes away. I found wearing climbing and walking boots more comfortable than shoes and keeping active was better than just resting, which is pretty hard to do anyway. Perhaps related, I am a road cyclist and found the rigid cycling shoes meant I had no difficulty in staying fit that way. Possibly, cycling could help others while waiting for the foot to repair itself.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby nick70 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 pm

This is something I suffered from in the past (about 2 years ago) and I do sympathise with you.

Firstly, check with your GP, it is an inflammation and sometimes a good anti-inflammatory can alleviate pain. I was first on Naproxen and then Meloxicam. I found Meloxicam to be slightly better. Also GP will tell you a number of exercises to do. These can also be obtained from NHS website also. The stretching of calf certainly helped me. With time the anti-inflammatory will help it. I was able to complete WHW whilst suffering from it.

I still don't think I am fully clear of it (but then I am a bit of a freak lol) but it is certainly at manageable levels and I always keep a supply of anti-inflammatory with me when i do any long distance walks.

I'm not really sure insoles are the answer. Check with your GP. Best of luck, I genuinely do hope it clears up for you.
nick70

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion