walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Is it worth taking walking poles?

Is it worth taking walking poles?

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 am

I'm (almost) all set for my backpacking trip tomorrow and am in the process of doing a kit check and making sure I don't leave anything useful behind. I have got my walking poles together with the other kit but am wondering if it is worth saving a bit of weight and leave them behind, or whether the utility will be worth more than the small weight penalty. Up in Kinlochewe/Fisherfield, it has been very wet this week and it looks like I am going to get wet on Monday as well. What do you think?

Is it worth packing gaiters as well?

On a somewhat related note, how easy is it to cross the Abhainn Srath na Sealga (Fisherfield) to access Shenaval/An Teallach, and are there any crossing points upstream if the weather continues with the 24 hour rainathon days and the river is in spate? I won't be attempting to cross this river until next weekend.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Is it worth taking walking poles?

Postby walkingpoles » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:08 am

I find the poles worthwile when carrying a heavy pack and the trek goes over several days. I never bring them along for the usual daytrip munro bagging.

As soon as a joint start aching I am very glad to have them. Also a good asset when crossing rivers.

And I love gaiters.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:05 pm

1. Poles - worth taking one: I usually always carry at least one, and don't use it as often as not, but if you are on your own and injure an ankle having even one can make all the the difference between staying mobile and being stranded. Likewise with burn/ river crossings.
2. Gaiters - another yes: bogs, wet grass, ticks, stones/twigs getting into your boots are the reason why. They don't actually weigh much if you're not wearing them.
3. The dreaded Abhainn Srath na Sealga - in dry weather, piece of cake; in spate, impossible unless you'd like to end your days with a drowning (no I'm not exaggerating). Wouldn't be the first time I've stood on the bank shouting "don't even think about it!" to someone somewhat dismayed that all their nice dry gear was in the nice warm bothy on the other side. Not worth the risk. If very wet it's impossible to cross unless you're upstream of Loch an Nid, nearly 10k from Shenavall, and even then you'll have to negotiate the burn that comes down from the Eas Ban.
PS ...
4. Make sure you have some decent anti-midge protection.
5. Fingers crossed for a good forecast for you - in good conditions there is no better place to be!
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:19 pm

If the river is in spate it can be dangerous/impossible. It may be easier to cross upstream towards Achnegie, certainly less deep but possibly faster flowing. I would take the poles to assist with the crossings.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks for the advice/warnings. Regarding the river crossing, it looks like I will have to pay close attention to the amount of rain I've experienced and, if necessary, divert east after finishing the Fisherfield six and walk arouind Loch an Nid. It looks like after summiting Beinn a Chlaidheimh, if the weather is clear, I should be able to see the river below and make a judgement.

I'm otherwise well kitted out with waterproofs, map, compass, camping gear, tick tweezer, food, midge net and repellant. I've been to Scotland enough times to have a good idea what I could be up against, this is the first proper multi-day treck I am doing.
al78
Walker

Postby fhaggis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:12 pm

I hated walking poles, but now I use them caus of an injury and they where a huge help with a heavy bag in my recent trip, easy to store away aswell!
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby regedmunds » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:17 pm

I walked and camped for three days along the Sussex Border Path two weekends ago. The terrain was undulating so I just took one pole (I normally take two) and I'm glad I did. I tried to cross a field with two horses in it, one of which took a fancy to me. I opened the gate and it came over a grabbed my hat, so I grabbed it back. It then did it again, so I grabbed it back again and retreated behind the gate again. As I turned to the gate the horse tried to take my rucksack off my back! Once behind the gate, I extended my hiking stick (I kept the rubber cap on) and tried again. I used it to prod a distance between me and the horse, it worked! Never go without a stick, these items can be so very useful!
regedmunds

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm

regedmunds wrote:I walked and camped for three days along the Sussex Border Path two weekends ago. The terrain was undulating so I just took one pole (I normally take two) and I'm glad I did. I tried to cross a field with two horses in it, one of which took a fancy to me. I opened the gate and it came over a grabbed my hat, so I grabbed it back. It then did it again, so I grabbed it back again and retreated behind the gate again. As I turned to the gate the horse tried to take my rucksack off my back! Once behind the gate, I extended my hiking stick (I kept the rubber cap on) and tried again. I used it to prod a distance between me and the horse, it worked! Never go without a stick, these items can be so very useful!

Handy for frisky cattle too: cattlemen invariably employ a stick (though not usually a walking pole) and so the stirks generally view a human with a stick as a figure of some authority. Can come in handy for keeping unfriendly dogs at a safe distance too, and even -on one memorable occasion a few years ago - an overly territorial capercaillie.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Absolutely take the poles, though if you've not used them much, they can take a bit of getting used to. On rough ground, or up and down hills, its all fairly obvious, but on the flat stuff, I see lots of folk not really taking advantage of that little bit of forward "shove" you can get with each stride using them. This really does reduce the energy needed in your legs over a long day with a heavy load.

They are a fantastic asset on stream crossings. Beware getting over confident though, they won't stop you getting swept away in really strong flow, as they'll get swept out of the way first! In general crossing use, though, they really help you either stay on your feet on a rough stream bed, or help hugely hopping from rock to rock if that's an option.

Beware that river to Shenavall, it can be a bugger. If you think the rivers will be high, better to divert early perhaps and come down via Loch an Nid. I'm not sure you'll be able to tell from the top of Chlaidheimh.

Oh, and yes to the gaiters too!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Absolutely take the poles, though if you've not used them much, they can take a bit of getting used to. On rough ground, or up and down hills, its all fairly obvious, but on the flat stuff, I see lots of folk not really taking advantage of that little bit of forward "shove" you can get with each stride using them. This really does reduce the energy needed in your legs over a long day with a heavy load.

They are a fantastic asset on stream crossings. Beware getting over confident though, they won't stop you getting swept away in really strong flow, as they'll get swept out of the way first! In general crossing use, though, they really help you either stay on your feet on a rough stream bed, or help hugely hopping from rock to rock if that's an option.

Beware that river to Shenavall, it can be a bugger. If you think the rivers will be high, better to divert early perhaps and come down via Loch an Nid. I'm not sure you'll be able to tell from the top of Chlaidheimh.

Oh, and yes to the gaiters too!

I have used the poles on a hike up Bowfell from Langdale (didn't make the summit due to a boot failure), and I know what you mean on the flat, I was putting them in front of me and using them to allow my upper body to assist forward movement. It felt a bit like what I imagine cross country skiing would be like. They are handy on uneven terrain and I know what you mean about crossing streams, I get nervous if I have to boulder hop, and worry about losing my balance and falling in, ending up soaking wet at best, or injuring myself at worst.
al78
Walker

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Having packed (rammed) everything in, it all comes to around 13kg, not including water, so about 15kg when I first set off tomorrow evening. Oddly enough, when I did an overnighter last year with a different backpack, it weighed a bit more than that, despite carrying more stuff this time.
al78
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Definitely take poles and gaiters, a must after all the rain ☔, enjoy
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Poles are only extra weight if they are in the pack.

If your pack is going to be heavy enough to be considering losing weight then take poles to help distribute the weight. I'll always use poles for big weekend trips.

6 hours up and down, less so.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby John Doh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Use them for (i) steep descents, (ii) bog depth testin, (iii) keeping bonxies at bay. Almost as multifunctional as a swiss army knife :lol:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 am

Poles & gaiters pretty much the first thing on my list these days. Used to think they were for old folk & flatly refused to use them. And then i got old. :lol:
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion