walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lyme Disease/Ticks

Lyme Disease/Ticks

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 am

Just caught a clip on Radio Scotland. There is a programme about the above on BBC1 at 8.30 tonight concerning Lyme Disease and Ticks. Sounds like a good opportunity to educate ourselves. Unfortunately did not catch the name of the programme.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Re: Lyme Disease/Ticks

Postby SuperMillie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am

I'm pretty sure it's on BBC1 tonight at 20:30 and called "Under The Skin"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000640l
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am

Arthurs Eat wrote:Unfortunately did not catch the name of the programme.

It's an episode of Disclosure.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:59 pm

I used to have achey joints, which got worse as the day went on, until after tea time I was lying on the sofa, groaning. I thought maybe I had worn myself out with years of hiking and rough dosses. After I was bitten by a tick - not uncommon for me - I came up in a red bullseye ring around the bite so I went to my G.P. who it turned out had ever heard of it. Blood was taken but only to test for rheumatoid arthritis. I was started on horse-doses of antibiotics in case it was Lyme Disease (named after the town of Lyme, in the United States, where it was first discovered after a bunch of people came down with similar symptoms and it was eventually recognised as an individual bacterial infection in it's own right). My symptoms have improved but not disappeared altogether, and the results for rheumatoid arthritis were negative, so that's good news. The tradition of burning the moors did away with squillions of ticks, midgies and cleggs. That was stopped a few years ago as it was thought bad for the environment. Bring back moor burning, that's what I say! Burn some sense into them!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Too many deer and a lack of sheep dipping?
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kaiserstein » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Saw this advertised. I think I'm paranoid enough about them without watching this. So far ive been ok this season on camping trips to knoydart, cairngorms and ardgour. Been using craghoppers nosilife trousers and also repellant (ankles, waist, wrist, neckline). Also brush down regularly
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:52 pm

A vaccine was developed by SmithKline Beecham (now GlaxoSmithKline) called LYMErix, it needed three injections per year at about $50 a shot, and it prevented 90% of Lyme Disease infections. It was taken by hundreds of thousands. It's even out of patent now - anyone could make a generic of it. So why is it unavailable?

It came out during the MMR controversy and anti-Vaxxer lunatics went after it, "it causes arthritis". Nope. In total 1.5 million shots were given. There were 59 cases of arthritis. That's the same rate as those who were unvaccinated. But that background rate launched a class-action lawsuit and the PR damage was done. It was withdrawn and nobody can face relaunching it. The irony is my dog takes tick medication, and I'd like this one... but the flat-earth lunatics who have overseen a rise in Measles (thanks, guys) have denied the rest of us this medication.

I try to be tolerant of different views but these people push me beyond my capabilities for it.

PS, apparently a French company are experimenting with a new vaccine... but it has yet to be proven effective and even if it is it won't be on the market for many years to come.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Jolldan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 pm

This really freaked me out, I think I’ll be making sure I buy some repellent for next time after hearing about this.
Jolldan
Ambler

Postby Hike Man » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:40 am

I have to say that the programme offered very little advice on treatment etc and certainly would or could scare folk. Best thing to do is research the subject yourself and take whatever precautions you feel you require. I don’t think repellants work well as they are persistent pests who will find an untreated part of skin.

There are some who think that if removed within 24 hours there is very little chance of getting Lyme. I regularly check myself while out walking particularly if walking in vegetation of any kind. Just remember to find a quiet spot when going over the intimate areas. Other than that if you have the bullseye marks or feel unwell after a tick bite be persistent with your GP and don’t let them fob you off.

I’ve picked up quite a few ticks over the years, luckily with no adverse affects. At least it has brought the issue to the minds of more of the population.

Happy hiking and remember with proper clothing and body checks etc you can reduce the odds. Also camp in areas less frequented by wildlife, avoid bracken, long heather and sheep grazing pastures for your tent.
Hike Man

Munros:40   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:53 am

jmarkb wrote:
Arthurs Eat wrote:Unfortunately did not catch the name of the programme.

It's an episode of Disclosure.

Sorry, when I read that, I couldn't help but think of this... :-P

220px-Disclosure_ver2.jpg
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby onsen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Interesting info on our Aussie ticks, mammalian meat allergy & the best way to kill them...freeze them, don't squeeze them. :wink:

Take what you want from it....

https://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/tick-allergy/11015590
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby denfinella » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Does anyone know roughly how likely it is to catch Lyme Disease if you get a tick embedded? Some people seem to panic about even a single tick, yet I've had to pull out about a dozen over the years and I've been unaffected.

I do take some of the usual precautions like checking myself after a walk where ticks seem likely, but I don't go as far as (for example) wearing trousers instead of shorts to reduce exposed skin, if it's a warm day. I feel that it's a risk worth taking in order to stay more comfortable - but I don't actually know the severity of the risk!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm

The chance of any tick having the bacteria is low, and the chances of a chronic version of Lyme from any of those infections are low. More than that, it can take a long time for the bacteria to transmit, up to 3 days.

So don't freak out too much if you find a tick on you.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/growth-curve/five-reasons-not-totally-panic-about-ticks-and-lyme-disease
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:50 pm

I never freak out about getting one it's usually when I have 35 I tend to freak out a bit.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion