walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Six days, Six hours and two minutes.....

Six days, Six hours and two minutes.....

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 pm

.... to complete the Wainwright fells. :shock:

Phenomenal achievement by Mr Paul Tierney :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/06/20/runner-paul-tierney-breaks-record-for-summiting-all-214-wainwright-fells#
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Six days, Six hours and two minutes.....

Postby jamiecopeland » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Seems rather pointless to me. I enjoy hillwalking and the view is a large part of why I enjoy it as much. To race around them, just for the sake of a record, absolutely baffles me.

Impressive feat of fitness/stamina? Yes.
jamiecopeland

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Thought we had met a fair few legends on our earlier visit to The Lakes

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87935

but this one outstrips them all. Having said which, I rather like savouring the hills rather than treating them as a race track, but I could be kidding myself, could just be sour grapes.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am

jamiecopeland wrote:Seems rather pointless to me. I enjoy hillwalking and the view is a large part of why I enjoy it as much. To race around them, just for the sake of a record, absolutely baffles me.

You could say something like that about any record attempt. Could be any number of motivations from a personal challenge, sense of achievement, ego.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby CharlesT » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm

jamiecopeland wrote:Seems rather pointless to me.

Au Contraire There were 214 of them I believe. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm sure the charity he earned over £16,000 for don't think it's pointless. Like others I do like to take my time walking in the hills but if I'm honest I don't have a choice, I end up out of breath running for a bus let alone up a hill. :?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 pm

jamiecopeland wrote:Seems rather pointless to me. I enjoy hillwalking and the view is a large part of why I enjoy it as much. To race around them, just for the sake of a record, absolutely baffles me.

Have you never done anything for the hell of it,or in this case a very good cause.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jamiecopeland » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Yup, I still think it’s an absolute load of nonsense.

Life’s fast enough. Slow down and enjoy yourself. Racing around the Fells just to say you’ve done them is ridiculous.

Good on him for being fit enough and for raising money for charity.
jamiecopeland

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Whenever this kind of complaint is raised - it's quite common when someone has done something long/hard/fast with a degree of publicity, as here - I always feel it's based on a false assumption, namely that one takes in less in terms of the view etc while going fast, whereas arguably one takes in more as senses and concentration levels are heightened.

I've never had enough speed or strength to really be able to comment on this from direct experience, but every year or two I have a go at walking up Ben Cleuch in the Ochils by the shortest route (Tillicoultry-Mill Glen-Law) as fast as I possibly can. No running allowed, but eyeballs-out brisk walking the whole way. I find this hard, as you might imagine (the more so as I age), but also very rewarding - and more to the point there's a vividness to the experience that I don't get when I go up by the same route at a normal pace with occasional pauses to look at the view etc. I very much like those slower ascents too, but the ones that stay with me most, and are sort of burnt into my consciousness such that I can recall both the overall conditions and the small details even years on, are the hard/fast ones.

There's also what feels like the obvious point that people such as Paul Tierney who do amazing things are usually on very familiar ground and will not only have been on all the relevant summits etc numerous times before but will have done a lot of the prep at a much more leisurely pace. I don't know Paul at all, but I do know a few accomplished fellrunners and to a man and woman they are all fond of ambling about, lounging around, taking in the views etc. In fact the day this year when I've done the most leisurely looking at views was with a very accomplished fellrunner and hard hill man who has done heaps of long/fast stuff in his time, but who also needs no persuasion to take things slowly on other days. It's just that every now and then such people also have the urge - and the ability - to do things at a different pace.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 am

One of the worst things about social media is 1. the policing of other people's fun 2. the egoistical idea that whatever other people do should meet with people's approval/be comprehensible to other people.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:17 am

NickyRannoch wrote:

One of the worst things about social media is 1. the policing of other people's fun 2. the egoistical idea that whatever other people do should meet with people's approval/be comprehensible to other people.

People are allowed to express their opinion. The fact that you don’t share that opinion and feel aggrieved by it is exactly what’ve you’ve tried to describe in your second point 😂😂😂
jamiecopeland

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:37 am

Well it's a good thing you did express your opinion.

Now we all know.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am

NickyRannoch wrote:Well it's a good thing you did express your opinion.

Now we all know.

Ditto...
jamiecopeland

Postby Pastychomper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 am

I enjoy a certain amount of running even if it's in a concrete jungle, but given the choice I'd rather do it somewhere more civilised. If I ever decided to push myself by running for most of the waking hours of a week I'd almost certainly head for the hills.

I don't know if Mr Tierney thinks of himself as a hill-visitor who decided to run, or a runner who decided to visit the hills, but I salute his determination, stamina and choice of area.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Billbobaggins » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 am

Paul Tierney fell runner and ultra runner breaks Wainwright record. Good on him, what a fantastic achievement. I guess the clue is in the sport he chooses to participate in :D
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion