walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh from Loch Mullardoch

Beinn Fhionnlaidh from Loch Mullardoch

Postby Alastair52 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Has anyone got the ferry up Loch Mullardoch and done Beinn Fhionnlaidh (and Carn Eighe, Mam Sodhail from that side?

i don't anticipate a problem getting from one munro to the others but just wondered if there was a straightforward way up BF from the loch and also which was the easiest way back down? not really obvious from the OS map.

any comments on time to arrange the ferry back also appreciated.
Alastair52
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh from Loch Mullardoch

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm

It might be worth asking the ferryman if you don't get an answer - my friends used the ferry to do the north mullardoch Munros and it sounded like he was helpful about dropping them off in a good place for a route up the hill. It sounds like he has helped people to do your route before, so may have some useful words.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Steve Fallons route may be of help- although he does the 5 on the south.

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/guide-mullardoch-munros.html#

Enjoy the boat and your day out.I did the northern 4 last week.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Yes, he'll drop you off for Fhionnlaidh no problem. He knows the area really well.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 am

Alastair52 wrote:Has anyone got the ferry up Loch Mullardoch and done Beinn Fhionnlaidh (and Carn Eighe, Mam Sodhail from that side?

Yes, he'll drop you off no problem and the route up Beinn Fhionnlaidh is fine. Pathless, but nothing untoward. We did have the luxury of two cars, one in Glen Affric and one at the Mullardoch dam.

I'm not sure if he'd pick you up again, as it's usually a one way service, but I could be wrong. The other option would be to include the Murnros: Tom a'Choinnich and Toll Creagach and descend back down to the Mullardoch dam so you only need one boat trip in.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm

If you are getting the ferry both ways, you'd be best to wild camp where Angus drops you off and get picked up again from there in the morning, rather than trying to get back to the loch-side for a particular time. Either way, you'd be best to wait until post-midge-season (or Spring), as any time spent stationary by the side of Mullardoch on a summer evening is likely to be a bit of a challenge.

The other option is to have a 2nd car waiting for you in Glen Affric (eg dropping it there the night before and spending the night in Cannich) - this approach makes it relatively 'easy' to bag all 5 of the north Glen Affric Munros, though frankly I'd still split these into two walks, as the more excuses you have to make a trip up Glen Affric the better IMO

Enjoy!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby gaffr » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:40 am

Before ferries I walked in from maol bhuidhe bothy after visiting the Lurg Mhor group of hills:-).... Can see that ferries are useful....after filling up with tops after a camp I descended to glen affric
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Fractral » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Can confirm, when we did the north mullardoch hills someone was dropped off at the foot of Fhionnlaidh and picked up that afternoon in Glen Affric. The ferryman was also able to point out the easiest way up from that side, very helpful bloke!
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion