walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Furths Guidebook

Furths Guidebook

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

Hi,

I'm due to be in Northern Ireland later this year for a wedding and am contemplating extending the trip and heading south so I can get in some Irish Furths seeing as I'll be taking the car (Plan B would be the Mournes). I've accumulated some Munro and Corbett books but am not sure whether there are books dedicated to the Furths and if they're any good or whether I should go down the route of getting English/Irish/Welsh guidebooks individually. I've had a look online and there's some second-hand older books which I always like to get for history's sake and because they're dirt cheap. It looks like there'll be Cicerone books that cover what I need but I've never been a huge fan of those.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Iain
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:116
Grahams:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Furths Guidebook

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Irvine Butterfield's High Mountains of Britain & Ireland covers the Furths. It's a bit old now, but got me by in Ireland.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:8

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Irvine Butterfield's High Mountains of Britain & Ireland covers the Furths. It's a bit old now, but got me by in Ireland.

Perfect, one of the old school/cheap used ones I'd just seen!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Harvey's do a map for Ireland including the MacGillycuddy's Reeks, better than the standard ROI OS maps.

The Reeks are fantastic by the way. :D
WalkWithWallace
Backpacker

Islands:24
Walk wish-list

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:17 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Harvey's do a map for Ireland including the MacGillycuddy's Reeks, better than the standard ROI OS maps.

The Reeks are fantastic by the way. :D

Aye, they look it! Just started my Corbett round after finishing my (probably first) munro round but I thought I'd mix it up a bit by maybe doing the Furths as and when opportunities arise.

:lol:

Big fan of the YT channel, btw!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Collins Press do a good set of guidebooks for Ireland - there is a "Best of" http://www.collinspress.ie/images/Ireland's%20Best%20Walks%20PR.pdf as well as area-specific guides.
The Paddy Dillon Cicerone book is pretty disappointing - only really useful if you are bagging the Irish 2000 footers.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:43   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Aye, they look it! Just started my Corbett round after finishing my (probably first) munro round but I thought I'd mix it up a bit by maybe doing the Furths as and when opportunities arise.

:lol:

Big fan of the YT channel, btw!

I really enjoyed the Furths. I might do another round of them. :lol: Should have vlogged them!
WalkWithWallace
Backpacker

Islands:24
Walk wish-list

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion