walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Protection against out of control dogs

Re: Protection against out of control dogs

Postby Scottk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 pm

I love dogs and had 2 springers but after they passed away we never got another. Apart from the wrench of losing them, my wife’s asthma has got worse and we were very busy with our kids activities so it wouldn’t have been fair. I would love to get another but would need to be hyper allergenic!!
I was walking this weekend when an older couple came towards me with 3 dogs, none on leads, she shouted out ‘dog with stick, watch out because he doesn’t care who he walks into’. Stupid cow, if she knows the dog is like that, she should have it under control. Had to bite my tongue! The dog was a big friendly lab type dog but would be quite scary for someone who didn’t like dogs.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 am

Absolutely typical unfortunately.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:I think the solution is to get a dog.

Why do I say that? Well, then you'll find out how hard it is to train a dog, and once it is trained, how hard it is to get it to remember that training and act consistently. Dogs are intelligent, living, breathing creatures just like us, and they have minds of their own, just like us. Some of them have stronger wills than others, just like us...

But I already know how hard it is to train a dog, how hard it is to keep its actions consistent. I know it's an intelligent, living, breathing and independent creature.

I also know that regardless of how hard it is or how strong willed the dog is, it is still my responsibility to ensure the dog's behaviour.

That's why I don't have a dog.

(For the record though, my stance is more along the lines of 'dogs should be allowed to roam freely as long as the owner takes swift action when he/she sees it causing undue distress to someone or something.' It's just this particular argument of "it's hard" I'm not keen on, we know its hard, but its the responsibility you took on when you decided to get a dog!)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:03 pm

I haven't had any negative dog-related incidents on the hills, well once when a chocolate lab growled at me as I walked past, but I was monumentally hungover and it had probably smelled the previous night's vodka :lol:

I used to get a lot of bother with ankle-bitey types when I used to run round Forfar Loch at lunchtimes. I had a brief "strongly worded disagreement" with some utter cretin who's terrier-type effort had gone for my feet as I was running past them. I gave it a quick squirt in the face from my water bottle and it ran off, going mental. The owner too went mental, and threatened to call the Police, amongst various other threats. I don't suppose my diplomatic retort of "Get it on a f***ing lead then" helped matters much tbf.

Militant dog owners are a pain in the arse though, somewhere between Nigel Farage supporters and aggressive Audi drivers in the all-time terrible people list.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 pm

jupe1407 wrote:I haven't had any negative dog-related incidents on the hills, well once when a chocolate lab growled at me as I walked past, but I was monumentally hungover and it had probably smelled the previous night's vodka :lol:

I used to get a lot of bother with ankle-bitey types when I used to run round Forfar Loch at lunchtimes. I had a brief "strongly worded disagreement" with some utter cretin who's terrier-type effort had gone for my feet as I was running past them. I gave it a quick squirt in the face from my water bottle and it ran off, going mental. The owner too went mental, and threatened to call the Police, amongst various other threats. I don't suppose my diplomatic retort of "Get it on a f***ing lead then" helped matters much tbf.

Militant dog owners are a pain in the arse though, somewhere between Nigel Farage supporters and aggressive Audi drivers in the all-time terrible people list.

Interesting that you mention Forfar Loch. Mrs Gordie12 had some time to spare the other month and went for a wander round the loch. Halfway round a dog bounded up to her and caught her in the face. The owners appeared seconds later apologising for their boisterous dog (Mrs G thought they probably saw what happened but were too far away from the dog to get it under control) and everyone parted on friendly terms.

A quick trip to the dentist followed, £600 bill paid - ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:I haven't had any negative dog-related incidents on the hills, well once when a chocolate lab growled at me as I walked past, but I was monumentally hungover and it had probably smelled the previous night's vodka :lol:

Interesting that you mention Forfar Loch. Mrs Gordie12 had some time to spare the other month and went for a wander round the loch. Halfway round a dog bounded up to her and caught her in the face. The owners appeared seconds later apologising for their boisterous dog (Mrs G thought they probably saw what happened but were too far away from the dog to get it under control) and everyone parted on friendly terms.

£600! ... Mrs Gordie is evidently a candidate for sainthood. Most of us aren't.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 am

rabthecairnterrier wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:

£600! ... Mrs Gordie is evidently a candidate for sainthood. Most of us aren't.

Things may well have been different had she realised at the time that she would need a trip to the dentist and what the cost would be................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby crfishwick » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 pm

JeanJean wrote:Does anyone have advice on effective measures/gadgets to repel out of control dogs while out walking?

I have been walking in the hills and countryside of Scotland and England for over 40 years and have had little concern about out of control dogs.....until now. This year my husband has been knocked over twice by dogs running up to him and jumping up. On many occasions we have been approached by out of control dogs, running around with no owner in sight. When remonstrating with the owner, when they eventually show up, they are either abusive or just apologise and carry on.

I know it's only a small minority of dog owners and that most dog owners are responsible and keep their dogs under control. However some dog owners don't seem to realise that a dog is considered dangerously out of control if it "injures someone" or "makes someone worried that it might injure them". I don't dislike dogs but it is pretty scary when a large dog comes bounding up, barking, with no owner in sight. And the law isn't much good if you're in the middle of the Scottish Highlands, miles away from the nearest police station. For my own safety I feel it's time to invest in something to deter out of control dogs.

Get a life! Humans are the ones who you need to be afraid of! If you have a phobia deal with it.☺️
crfishwick

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm

crfishwick wrote:
JeanJean wrote:Does anyone have advice on effective measures/gadgets to repel out of control dogs while out walking?

I have been walking in the hills and countryside of Scotland and England for over 40 years and have had little concern about out of control dogs.....until now. This year my husband has been knocked over twice by dogs running up to him and jumping up. On many occasions we have been approached by out of control dogs, running around with no owner in sight. When remonstrating with the owner, when they eventually show up, they are either abusive or just apologise and carry on.

I know it's only a small minority of dog owners and that most dog owners are responsible and keep their dogs under control. However some dog owners don't seem to realise that a dog is considered dangerously out of control if it "injures someone" or "makes someone worried that it might injure them". I don't dislike dogs but it is pretty scary when a large dog comes bounding up, barking, with no owner in sight. And the law isn't much good if you're in the middle of the Scottish Highlands, miles away from the nearest police station. For my own safety I feel it's time to invest in something to deter out of control dogs.

Get a life! Humans are the ones who you need to be afraid of! If you have a phobia deal with it.☺️

No they are not. You can communicate with a human, you can't communicate with someone's over excited/aggressive dog. If someone can't keep their canine uinder control so that it doesn't bother other people, the problem is with them, not the victim. Stop victim blaming and drop the militant extremist attitude FFS. :roll:
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Bridge » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:46 pm

al78 wrote:No they are not. You can communicate with a human, you can't communicate with someone's over excited/aggressive dog. If someone can't keep their canine uinder control so that it doesn't bother other people, the problem is with them, not the victim. Stop victim blaming and drop the militant extremist attitude.

Exactly!

I am very wary of dogs. Very many years ago, when I was a toddler, I was deeply traumatised when a very boisterous large dog who was ‘just being friendly’ (or so its owner said), ran up to me, pounced and knocked me over!! I do not remember the incident (too young), but my mother told me that my fear of dogs stemmed from this. My parents then decided to get a family dog.They thought that if grew up with it from a puppy, I might be less scared of other dogs. This didn’t work, although I was very fond of our dog.
Kmai1961 expressed very well how many people including me feel about dogs.
In answer to the original poster,I have tried ultrasonic devices, but gave up as you can’t carry a device around all the time, just in case you meet an aggressive dog. So I never got to find out if it worked. I usually find just raising my walking pole towards a dog makes the owner call it back, failing this it is my husband’s boot.
Bridge
Walker

Munros:84   

Postby Moriarty » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:58 pm

crfishwick wrote:Get a life! Humans are the ones who you need to be afraid of! If you have a phobia deal with it.☺️

crfishwick wrote:Why does it matter? I have problems about all this garbage. Just enjoy yourself seeing all about you if you are Munro Bashing.

Always lovely to see someone displaying hypocrisy loud and proud. :?

So folks that have fears of dogs should shut up and "deal with it".....but people who express opinions you have a problem with should shut up and concur with you because you don't like it?

Marvellous. :clap:
Moriarty

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:33 pm

One way for walkers to avoid the fear of dogs is to apply to your local council for a Ursidae-genus licence under the The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) (No.2) Order 2007.

It is a very rare dog indeed who'll bother a walker accompanied by his or her North American Brown Bear. Another upside is you can use them to hunt for wild salmon and trout because, again, it's a very rare local official who'll bother someone for paperwork if they're standing next to a hungry, three-meter tall, six-hundred-kilo grizzly.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby CharlesT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:04 pm

..... a barbarous noise environs me
Of owls and cuckoos, asses, apes and dogs.

John Milton
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:31 pm

CharlesT wrote:..... a barbarous noise environs me
Of owls and cuckoos, asses, apes and dogs.

John Milton

Sure it's not the cacophony of dog-whistles?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:42 am

once whilst walking in Snowdonia I found a device which looked a bit like a SPOT so pressed one or two buttons (it was not a 911 button) - each time I did I heard dogs howl in the distance - I couldn't see them but still pressing away I cleared a ridge and came across a chap with three fierce looking huskies or something - I said is this yours and he angrily snatched it from me - apparently the dogs had radio receivers on their collars and I had been transmitting what turned out to be high frequency signals which was driving the dogs nuts...... the irate owner screamed at me that it was how he controlled his dogs....

I shrugged a couple of shoulders, bade him good morning and tooled off without patting the three traumatised monsters but thinking that, indeed, some humans should be fitted with similar devices
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion