walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Protection against out of control dogs

Re: Protection against out of control dogs

Postby crfishwick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:02 pm

Paul Webster wrote:We've issued a warning regarding the posts about trolling. Please keep to topic and only make posts that respect other users. If you can't do this then please don't respond at all.

Please remove my account from this Website. I can't be bothered to go through the rigorous things to do do to try!
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:54 pm

I'd be a shame to see you burn your bridge over a 4-post woof-woof grumbler. I find sulking for a few weeks a great way to deal with moderation. :wink:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:52 am

Unfortunately it appears yet again an issue of emotion and personal identity, and speaking out against badly trained dogs is equivalent to attacking the identities of dog lovers, in the eyes of some. Some people on cycling forums do exactly the same if anyone dares to suggest a cyclist might, even slightly, have contributed in some way to their misfortune, or could have done something better.

It is a pity that so often, emotion overrules logic, making rational discussion impossible.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby rodderss » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:02 am

al78 wrote:Unfortunately it appears yet again an issue of emotion and personal identity, and speaking out against badly trained dogs is equivalent to attacking the identities of dog lovers, in the eyes of some. Some people on cycling forums do exactly the same if anyone dares to suggest a cyclist might, even slightly, have contributed in some way to their misfortune, or could have done something better.

It is a pity that so often, emotion overrules logic, making rational discussion impossible.

Yes, exactly.couldnt agree more
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 pm

al78 wrote:Some people on cycling forums do exactly the same if anyone dares to suggest a cyclist might, even slightly, have contributed in some way to their misfortune, or could have done something better.

When I'm driving I hate cyclists but when I'm cycling I hate motorists!
Is that irrational? - it all makes sense to me. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby iangpark » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Pretty interesting discussion. I've had my own issues with dogs (mental health-related) and I now look on them and their owners in a marginally less optimistic light. Can't agree much more than to what kmai1961 said other than to mention our own dog who passed at the grand age of 15 (couple of months off 16) this year. Didn't once get angry at a person but was extremely yappy as he would want a pat off everyone; of course you can't expect other people to know that so he was on the lead most of the time if we ever thought it was a place where there would be other folk around. I think it's when one dog meets another on the hills that's the main issue. He was absolutely wonderful and I have great memories with him but I really would not want to have a dog again anytime in the next few decades. Me being a 7 year old when we got him, obviously I'd have said "I want a dog", but ask me as a 23 y/o, it's the opposite.

Don't take this the wrong way, but for some reason it does mildly disappoint me to see the younger generation obsessed with dogs nowadays (especially when they give it the "my baby" chat) - it gives me the impression we are starting to become a bit more infantile and disliking of each other as a species, relying on big furry toys as companions instead of fellow humans. I do struggle to get on with people obsessed with dogs and their dog as they can't seem to have a conversation without interjecting them too, but then again I feel the same way about people who are obsessed with superheroes and drag queens (and I don't half annoy people with my hillwalking chat!) Now't wrong with them though - just too many of them (or too many of us?)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am

Dogs are great and I love them, but I live in an apartment so can't have one, and to be honest, I travel a lot, so it wouldn't be fair on the dog anyway. I love seeing them on the hills and I have no concerns about them running over to me and jumping up on me, although their owner tend to be really apologetic and embarrassed when this happens. I just think the additional mud is worth the love and brief hug I get from the pooch.

In my lifetime I have been barked at many times by dogs, but having grown up with them, I understand that they will hardly ever bite you (unless they feel threatened by your actions), so I tend to ignore barking dogs on the basis that they will feel that they have done their bit to show their master that they are good at protecting them and will soon move off quite proud of itself.

Having said that, I completely understand people who are afraid of or don't like dogs (for whatever reason) or who like dogs but don't want them running at them or jumping up at them or barking at them (again, the reasons why don't matter).

I feel a bit uncomfortable about cows on the path, especially when they have young around, and once had an angry ram trying to ram us when crossing a field (I had to hold on to both its horns and drag it to the stile with me to stop its constant attempts at headbutting me).

So to me, dogs are less of a worry than farm animals, but I know that others feel its the opposite, but the question remains the same, what can you do about it? My view is nothing, animals are animals and you cannot ban them from the hills, even dogs, they are a natural hazard and you have to deal with it as best you can, for most of them its usually by ignoring them.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby CharlesT » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am

images.jpeg

A set of these should do the trick and the pointy toes applied to the nether regions of offending hound could be particularly effective, more so similarly to the offending owner. Just a thought. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Given some of horror stories we have in Scotland I'm not sure we should stop at greaves, cuisses and sabatons.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7464369/man-penis-testicles-ripped-off-dog-east-lothian/

Think of what you might need from a dog's-eye perspective.

Armoured-codpiece[1].jpg
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby KatTai » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Given some of horror stories we have in Scotland I'm not sure we should stop at greaves, cuisses and sabatons.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7464369/man-penis-testicles-ripped-off-dog-east-lothian/

Armoured-codpiece[1].jpg

Wasn't that the guy who smeared peanut butter over his bits?
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:23 am

KatTai wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:Given some of horror stories we have in Scotland I'm not sure we should stop at greaves, cuisses and sabatons.

Armoured-codpiece[1].jpg

Wasn't that the guy who smeared peanut butter over his bits?

I had no idea... it was only you saying that adding "peanut butter" to the search, but yes apparently he did.

My goodness. I have no idea what to say to that.

At least he'll always win the "stupid things I did in my 20s" topic of conversation.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:13 am

Marty_JG wrote:...

At least he'll always win the "stupid things I did in my 20s" topic of conversation.

:shock: Indeed - what a waste of peanut butter!

If the organs in question were permanently removed, the unfortunate bloke is likely to be eligible for a Darwin award.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby KatTai » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 am

Pastychomper wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:...

:shock: Indeed - what a waste of peanut butter!

If the organs in question were permanently removed, the unfortunate bloke is likely to be eligible for a Darwin award.

Darwin award definitely deserved, you have to wonder what he was thinking when he decided that would be a good idea :shock:

Steps to stay safe in the hills from dogs:

1. don't smear peanut butter on yourself.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby regedmunds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I always carry a whip, bought from GoCamping for about £5. A tap from that usually leaves me in control. Failing that I obviously have my hiking stick, I just take off the rubber tip and it keeps dogs at more than arm's length.
regedmunds

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I suppose cow prods are totally out of the question but having lived in Southern Africa for ages my main concern was leopards seeking out the old and feeble ie me
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion