walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

ow my feet hurt!

ow my feet hurt!

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Greetings

Last sunday i did Meall Glas, 17k lovely day, i had new superfit insoles. Had them fitted walk around with boots on before hand etc

On said day had a couple of niggles & by the end of the day 2 slight blisters. Loafed around the house on Monday feet ok, went to work tuesday bit sore but ok, got up wednesday bam could hardly walk.

Had to cancel my next trip 16th & am now misserable.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: ow my feet hurt!

Postby sloosh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Do you mean Superfeet insoles? :?

I take it you think the insoles are what's caused your sore feet? Is it an arch thing or...?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes superfeet & its an arch thing. Never had any trouble before.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Ahem...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby iainwatson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 pm

i found my scarpa's to not be as comfy as i liked and once i fitted superfeet insoles they are now like slippers-yay! the boots also had a break in period of 4-5 walks and they are a joy to wear now

hope you get your problem sorted,nothing worse than un-comfy boots hurting your feet
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm

iainwatson wrote:i found my scarpa's to not be as comfy as i liked and once i fitted superfeet insoles they are now like slippers-yay! the boots also had a break in period of 4-5 walks and they are a joy to wear now

hope you get your problem sorted,nothing worse than un-comfy boots hurting your feet

Cheers Iain

My boots are scarpas as well, found them fine for the last two years, but stupidly lost the insoles while cleaning them.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Slogger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Sounds like you are suffering from acute Plantar fasciitis. I have had this problem in the past. It could be due to your wearing insoles with a slightly more supportive arch plate than you have been used to. Many foot/gait problems are corrected with the help of supportive orthotics, however they can really hurt the feet at first. This is because the bio-mechanics of the foot, knee and hip are being better aligned and so have to slightly change.
I had a pair of orthotics specially made some years ago after suffering Achilles Tendon/Calf problems. At first it felt like I had a golf ball under the arch of my feet, and I had to keep removing them. Eventually I got used to them as my feet corrected and after a few months they became comfortable.
Sounds to me like your arches had been slightly stretched by the Superfeet and are inflamed as a result. Bear with them and your feet will accept the shape, but it may take several walks before this happens.
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/footankle/a/fasciitis.htm
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby MacCookie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 pm

One of the problems I've had recently with my Scarpa SLs and Supafeet insoles is that the top of my foot arch would be aching by the end of the walk. I think this is because there's also too much pressure from the top of the boot. What I've done is put several twists in the laces at the top of the foot / bottom of the ankle so that the lace tension across the foot can be kept relatively relaxed, but nice and tight round my ankles. Seems to have helped, although some tweaking required as my heel is lifting a wee bit.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Slogger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah I have the same problem and have had so for many years, and adopt a similar lacing system. If I wear boots or shoes without an Arch support and have my laces anything like tight, my arch is flattened slightly and I get that acute Plantar pain, which goes when I loosen the laces. When I am running I literally have to wear slightly loose shoes.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby yorkie bagger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:32 am

After really long walks (usually on rocky ground) I've had the feeling of a pebble under my arch for a few days after - is that that 'plantar fascism' or whatever? It's like a bone's dropped in your foot or something...
yorkie bagger

Postby Slogger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:24 pm

PF can result in an aggravating ache that feels like you your feet are supporting a huge weight and you can't get them comfortable while standing. It can also result (as I usually get it) in short sharp acute pains shooting along the arch or in one spot, so a feeling of like a stone shoe is a possibility.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby yorkie bagger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 pm

:( that doesn't sound good then... when I get it, which isn't right often, it seems to go away on it's own after a couple of weeks or so. So is the solution, if it is PF, to get some arch-supporting insoles?
yorkie bagger

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 pm

I have had PF in the past & it used to go away after a couple of days also. That was not the reason for buying the superfeet, just a careless **** who lost his insoles & the nice man in tiso sold me them. I think i will give them another go, but take ordinary ones with me just in case. Once my feet have recovered.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby ezrida » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:55 am

Hi
I have plantar fasciitis and my symptoms are different!
I think you should wait a few days and if the pain doesn't come back - do not worry about it. If it does come back you should get a professional diagnosis. You can find out about plantar fasciitis symptoms in the following website:
http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/What_are_the_Symptoms.html
The more symptoms you have the chance is you might have plantar fasciitis - go to the doc!
Take care & Good luck
ezrida

Postby Onefootinthe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Wait for a few days to see if the pain goes away. Superfeet are not a good fit for everyone, the thing to remember is that
they are a semi orthotic product designed to try and bring the foot alignment into a neutral position hence all the different
styles (colours). All the different types have different arch support height/position you may just be unlucky and have picked a pair that just don't work for you.If the pain does'nt go away seek good medical advice.
Due to previous problems over the last ten or so years I have bought just about every kind of insole available, my personal favorite was svartz from altberg (superfeet never worked for me and gave me terrible shin pain )
I now have to wear insoles made after casts of my feet were taken by the hospital after operations to release tendons and bring my foot back to a neutral by cutting my heel in two and screwing it back together to reallign it.
Going away this afternoon to see the surgeon yet again to see what else he is going to try, although if he is going to start mucking about with me again, a phone call to Caberfeidh to polish up the tools and get the soup boiler going might be a good option.
Onefootinthe
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion