walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How has hillwalking changed?

Re: How has hillwalking changed?

Postby ChrisButch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pm

One incidental benefit of modern gear, specifically clothing, is that it enables you to continue hillwalking to a greater age. If at my age I was still limited to the Hebden Cord breeches, wool shirts and Blacks cotton cagoule of my youth, I simply wouldn't be able to do it. Then I could ignore or override the discomfort and the endless cycling between too hot, too cold or too wet. I no longer have the reserves to be able to do so: but with modern gear I can (within limits) control these things, and I can carry on. (Something similar also holds true of cycling gear).
ChrisButch

Postby rodderss » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm

[quote="Marty_JG"]

If' you've tech-tailed a bloke fiddling with a compass for however many KM it has taken to approach the summit but haven't overtaken the wellie-wearer, I'd say it's time to get some exercise mate. :lol: /quote]

Has been known on many occasions for me to be lying in heather blowing out my backside being passed by elderly gentleman.Too many pies I'm afraid :)

Not got the hang of this quote thing yet it seems :(
rodderss

Munros:31   Corbetts:8
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:21   
Islands:2

Postby madprof » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Border Reiver wrote:There are quite a few people that I've met while walking who just love to tell others that they have the latest gear, and will change their gear every time something supposedly better comes out.

There aren't too many of those people, or maybe they just don't talk to me?

Anyway, would you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour Paramo? :wink:
madprof
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am

madprof wrote:
Border Reiver wrote:There are quite a few people that I've met while walking who just love to tell others that they have the latest gear, and will change their gear every time something supposedly better comes out.

There aren't too many of those people, or maybe they just don't talk to me?

Anyway, would you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour Paramo? :wink:

I do keep hearing about Paramo, but haven't tried their clothing yet. I'll look at it next time I need something. My problem (if it is a problem) is that whereas I do buy quality gear, I do not upgrade until the old stuff ceases to function, hence I have fleeces, base layers, mid layers and waterproofs that are over 30 yrs old and still doing the job. Both my wife and I like to buy British, whether it's food and drink or walking kit and it's a shame that most of the quality gear that used to be made in the UK is now made in the far east. I still have some North Cape clothing in use and I used to buy Karrimor and Berghaus when it was made here, but now it's hard to find UK manufactured gear, although I do make a point of buying stuff from Keela at their factory shop.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:61
Wainwrights:68   

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion