walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Picos de Europa

Picos de Europa

Postby Lmitch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 am

Hi

My friend and I have 5 days walking in the Picos. Has anyone got a suggestion for a good place to be based - we don't want to hire a car. We are both up for quite challenging walks.

thanks
Laura
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Re: Picos de Europa

Postby raykilhams » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi Lmitch,
Lonely planet or even booking.com may have a few ideas. I believe Cicerone have a guide to walking in the Cantabrian Mountains ( Cordillera Cantabrica ) of which the Picos are a part of, they also highlight places to stay. But besides that have never walked there myself. Canaries,Belearics and Dolomites yes but no northern Spain.
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby petelynn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Spent a 6 days in the Picos last June. It was a fantastically scenic area. Just one of the walks - the Ruta de Cares - was busy otherwise generally quite quiet. We stayed at Cordinanes in the Valdeon valley on the southern part of the Picos. This was my favourite area - very empty - but I don't really think you can get there without a car. We also stayed near Potes in the east - more accessible but not properly in the Picos. Fuente De, with it's Parador is in a great position and has a cable car to 2000M with access to lots of walking routes. In the north Poncebos and Sotres would also make good bases though I'm not sure of access without a car. When were were there in Mid June there was still a lot of snow above 2000M but the wild flowers were amazing.

A few Pics to whet your appetite

Valdeon.jpg

Valdeon valley from Cordinanes

Cares.jpg

Ruta de Cares

Fuent De.jpg

Above Fuente De
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Garfield » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Potes would be a good base
Real nice small old town with plenty restaurants etc
Having a car makes getting about a lot easier though
Garfield
Hill Bagger

Postby Borderhugh » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi Laura,

Basically everyone i know who have been to the Picos is recommending car hire.

I am going early september. If you are hiring a car in Spain be careful about what they charge you when you get to the desk.

Enjoy your trip.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby smithers » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Went two years ago, stunning place. Hoped to avoid hiring a car but wanted to spend as much time as possible walking so did. Stayed three days in Potes, nice town, drove up to Fuente De, used cable car and walked/scrambled up to Pena Vieja, one day watching the Vuelta nearby. Moved to Poncebos for three days, Ruta de Cares and used funicular up to Bulnes and then intended to walk up to Urrielu but ran out of time, with hindsight should have booked a night at the refuge. Have a great time, I intend returning next year when walking buddy has had his knees fixed.
smithers

Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:166   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion