walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Quick thank you

Quick thank you

Postby maremalin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:30 pm

This is just a quick thank you to walkhighlands for providing and maintaining this page and to community for making it what it is.
With routes from walkhighlands and support from forum myself and my wife just came back from another trip to Scotland.
One of best trips to date. We did Ring of Steall. Two day backpacking in Cairngorms involving high part of Braeriach traverse and Carn a'Mhaim with Ben Macdui on second day.
We have finally done mighty Ben Nevis via CMD Arete... twice. Weather on first attempt was good but by the time we were on the ridge clouds rolled over and visibility was "limited". Regardless of that we have completed whole route (with dreadful descent via zig-zags) and were ready to do it all again next day in glorious sunshine. This time without climbing up to the top of Ben Nevis - but returning via CMA arete.
Finally we had a go at Nevis ledge route - but turned around shortly after entering gully 5 due to "technical" issues...

Like for my previous trips donation to walkhighlands will follow. I'm not sure we would explore and enjoy Scotland as much as we do without this page!

Few highlights
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B1VMvVAGdMcDio5W9
maremalin

Munros:41   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Quick thank you

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 am

What technical issues did you have on ledge route? One of the more common issues is the route finding and there are a few variations.

Good to hear you had a fine trip. Crackin' photos :D
Sunset tripper

Postby maremalin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:25 am

You have nailed it. We were not 100% prepared for it and attempted it with rather limited research. It was very much last minute call to try and do it. We have made to the bottom of gully 5 and got stuck at the slab where decision was made to turn around. Look into route in more detail and don't forget helmets before attempting again...

Later that day I've made a a lot of pictures from Carn Dearg Meadhonach and looked at possible routes.
It seems you can either start at bottom of gully 5 or go around and cross it bit higher up to join ridge leading up.
maremalin

Munros:41   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm

maremalin wrote:Later that day I've made a a lot of pictures from Carn Dearg Meadhonach and looked at possible routes.
It seems you can either start at bottom of gully 5 or go around and cross it bit higher up to join ridge leading up.

I would really recommend the route that crosses no5gully higher up, you can find details of it in Highlands Scrambles South and scrambles in Lochaber. We went that way, no nasty slippery slabs and an amazing path that traverses part of the north face before crosses the gully and leads right up to the ridge.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby arjh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:
maremalin wrote:Later that day I've made a a lot of pictures from Carn Dearg Meadhonach and looked at possible routes.

I would really recommend the route that crosses no5gully higher up, you can find details of it in Highlands Scrambles South and scrambles in Lochaber. We went that way, no nasty slippery slabs and an amazing path that traverses part of the north face before crosses the gully and leads right up to the ridge.

Seconded, the grade 2 crux of the route low down is fairly unpleasant and the exposed path higher up which avoids it reduces the overall grade to 1 (IMO) but increases the enjoyment of the route. After all if you want something harder its not difficult to find alternatives on the north face!
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion