walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis by the CMD Arete + Wild Camp

Ben Nevis by the CMD Arete + Wild Camp

Postby picnoir » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 am

I've climbed Nevis via the main (tourist) track three times many years ago (all three were 3 peaks challenges). But this time I am intending to do it with family - me, wife, children 14 & 12. We've done plenty of hiking as a family (Scafell, Snowdon via Watkins) including a scramble up Tryffan, Also a bit of wild camping.

Anyroad, I quite like the look of the Nevis hike via CMD but was also thinking it may be more fun or relaxed doing so over two days. And was thinking of wild camping down near Lochan Meall an t'Suidhe, Is that a good spot?

Pondering which direction to do the loop? And whether to camp on the way up or the way down?

Or is doing it over two days overkill?

Any thoughts/experiences?
picnoir
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Nevis by the CMD Arete + Wild Camp

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 am

Whilst it's certainly doable in a day, it's not overkill if you want to include a wild camp too as it's great being out for the night on the hills.

Lochan Meall an t'Suidhe is a fairly nice spot to camp, if you want to camp there it might be easier to do it from the usual tourist track rather than Torlundy then head around to the CIC hut and up onto CMD. I'd probably head up in the evening pitch up and do the walk in the morning.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am

Second going up by the tourist route - easier, and you won't double back on yourself in the morning.

Another thought, and only a thought as I haven't done it - camp along either side of Carn Beag Dearg (the first ascent out of Torlundy) either by the Allt Daim or the Allt Whatever-it-is that comes down from the CIC hut. That'd feel a lot more remote without the tourist traffic.

That said - neither of these options cut much off your second day, and you might find you have an almost just as long second day, but now with dodgy tent sleep and camping gear to carry.

Any thoughts on a camp nearer to the route across from Aonach Mor / Aonach Beag? I know that route up to the CMD is doable because I've seen it in walk reports, but don't know about with kids and camping gear. But if you could camp high up the Allt Daim you might get more of the walking done Day 1.

The more I think about it, though, the more I think this isn't a route that well suited to the wild camp. There aren't really halfway options without camping on rocks, so you end up with either a long second day tired and with packs, or a long first day where you wild camp when actually, the pub and a shower two more hours away sounds quite attractive.
rgf101

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 am

This is a great, if to me terrifying, night out via the CMD Arête.

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby picnoir » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Cheers for the thoughts people.

Now thinking best just to do it in a day because as you there isn't a sensible halfway camp and probably better to do a long day without excess gear rather than force an illogical two dayer.

Good video of some of the walking on the ridge - looks good fun and the kids will enjoy it.

We don't have that much flexibility but will try to find a decent day weather wise.
picnoir
Mountaineer

Postby picnoir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:10 pm

We picked the best weather day (Thursday) but it was still a little cloudy and breezy up top so we bailed on the arrêté and just went up the standard mountain track.

Whilst I'd been up before my wife and children hadn't. And has it happens the 12yo was a little slow. Took 4 hours up and around 2.45 coming down. And as we started a bit later than planned to let the early morning rain subside it was the right call I think.

Incidentally there were a couple of tents next to Lochan Meall but I agree it doesn't make sense with the walk as it is and certainly given it rained the night before and after it wouldn't have been good for this hike.

Maybe will do the arrete at some point in the future.
picnoir
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion