walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking route to Stac a'Phris Arch, Lewis

Walking route to Stac a'Phris Arch, Lewis

Postby JoDiver » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 am

Hi,

I will be visiting Lewis in a few weeks and I'm interested in photographing the Stac a'Phris Arch. Can anyone please advise the closest place to park and the best walking route.

Thank you!
JoDiver
Mountaineer

Re: Walking route to Stac a'Phris Arch, Lewis

Postby Tringa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:34 pm

I haven't walked to the arch so can't advise much on the best route but the car park (for the Norse Mill and Kiln) on the A858 at the east end of Loch Raionebhat(about 1/2km west of South Shawbost) is less than 2km from the arch.

Alternatively, there is a minor road that heads north just past the western end of Loch Raionebhat, towards Dalbeg. There is a car park at the end of the road. A path leads to the beach but you could climb up to the north of beach and follow the cliffs to the arch. This is a longer walk but probably a bit more scenic.

Dave
Tringa

Postby JoDiver » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:49 am

Thank you, Dave. I appreciate your help.
JoDiver
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:51 am

This might be useful (the description, not the map!): https://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/way-finder/west-side-coastal-path-wf161
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby helenw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:04 am

OS Map attached to the Walkhighlands route description should help - the arch is not far from the marked route and as far as I remember there would be no issue with just working your way closer to the cliff edge - the line in the route description was taken in order to stick to the easier ground, avoid fences and so on as it's part of a long walk but can't think there would be any problem taking a careful detour at that point.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion