walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cycling version of Cape Wrath trail

Cycling version of Cape Wrath trail

Postby al78 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 am

And more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49541621

This looks similar to what I had in my mind of combining the Pennine Way with the Scottish National Trail (or Cape Wrath Trail). If I can see a map of the route, I may have a go at some of that.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Cycling version of Cape Wrath trail

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am

That went onto my 'to do' list yesterday!

If you Google Great North Trail there is a full map of the route.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby crfishwick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Seen this cycle "path" Good Luck cycling to Cape Wrath without cheating.😂😂
crfishwick

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 am

Similar idea to this I think, but linear instead of circuit. I met a couple guys at Camban last year doing it. They said it was hardcore :lol:
https://bikepacking.com/routes/highland-trail-550/
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Ramblin' Man » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 am

Jaxter wrote:Similar idea to this I think, but linear instead of circuit. I met a couple guys at Camban last year doing it. They said it was hardcore :lol:
https://bikepacking.com/routes/highland-trail-550/

A few years ago, after walking the Fisherfield Munros, I stayed at the bothy at Carnmore (not the most luxurious but it was a very stormy night so it seemed preferable to my little tent). At about 2.30am a guy arrived on a single speed bike and explained he was doing the HT550. It was a terrible night and so he decided to give himself the luxury of a “long” lie in - he left at 7am! The next morning he was berating himself slightly for doing so, despite the weather. To my astonishment, he said he’d been overtaken in the night and dropped from 2nd to 3rd in the race. It was mad!
Ramblin' Man
Walker

Munros:68   Corbetts:92
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:213   Islands:15

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:47 pm

... I was intrigued to meet an old lad carrying his ancient bike along Striding Edge....the world is richer for such characters
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby ChrisButch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 am

Long before mountain bikes were 'invented' in California in the 1980s, 'rough-stuff cyclists', as they used to call themselves, had been exploring he glens and passes of the Highlands - indeed cyclists were prominent in the development of the MBA. I still have a box full of the magazine of the Rough Stuff Fellowship dating back to the 1950s, which largely consists of personal accounts of treks deep into the hills. When mountain biking took off, there were lots of complaints from hillwalkers about the intrusion of machinery into 'their' territory - but in fact people had been taking bikes into wild places since the 1880s, more or less for as long as hillwalking for pleasure.
As for Cape Wrath - 'Cycling' magazine used to run something called the Cape Wrath Fellowship - you got a badge if you'd ridden there.
ChrisButch

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion