walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Harvey Map for Drumochter East Munros

Harvey Map for Drumochter East Munros

Postby Knuckledragger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Ronseal - looking for a Harvey’s map for Carn na Caim & A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag. A’BB is just on the bottom edge of the Ben Adler superwalker map, but unless I’m completely losing it, I can’t find a map that covers both.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers....
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   
Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:80   

Re: Harvey Map for Drumochter East Munros

Postby prog99 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:23 pm

They don't have full uk coverage is why you've not found one. OS 1:50k is sufficient for the hills.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 pm

prog99 wrote:They don't have full uk coverage is why you've not found one. OS 1:50k is sufficient for the hills.

although I prefer 1:25 000 as I like the detail
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm

mrssanta wrote:
prog99 wrote:They don't have full uk coverage is why you've not found one. OS 1:50k is sufficient for the hills.

although I prefer 1:25 000 as I like the detail

What Mrs Santa said.

Half the coverage, but twice the detail. :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby DopeyLoser » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Half the coverage, but twice the detail. :D

And four times as much white space.

Yes 25k can be good in complicated areas. But this is Carn na Caim & A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag. The latter especially is a mound of nothingness. If Hugh Munro hadn't put it on a list no one would go there.

There is no detail. Maybe a line of old fence posts along the 'ridge'. A spot of track that's on the 50k map. Not much else but blasted heath if I recall correctly.
DopeyLoser

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:10 pm

DopeyLoser wrote:

Yes 25k can be good in complicated areas. But this is Carn na Caim & A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag. The latter especially is a mound of nothingness. If Hugh Munro hadn't put it on a list no one would go there.

There is no detail. Maybe a line of old fence posts along the 'ridge'. A spot of track that's on the 50k map. Not much else but blasted heath if I recall correctly.

Oh I disagree! A'Bhuidheanach Bheag has two summits. Also there is a nice bit of left turn you need to do on the summit of A'Bhuidheanach. and in poor visibility, knowing where on the map the line of old fence posts is supposed to be might be quite handy, given they are not marked on the 1:50 000. I can use both, but I prefer the 25 000 which is probably more down to my personality than anything because I like to identify little wiggles in the contours and so on.
I liked A'Bhuidheanach Bheag actually. Such an expanse of emptiness, and a great place for a wild camp.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Again, what Mrs S said.

Yes, these aren't the most spectacular of hills. But they have a stark beauty and emptiness that a lot of us seek when we're out walking. A huge sense of space and openness with a vast sky above. These are my favourite types of hills. No crags, sgurrs, or stobs to block the view. But no less appealing for that.

Oh, and best experienced at a scale of 1:25,000 :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 am

mrssanta wrote:
DopeyLoser wrote:

Oh I disagree! A'Bhuidheanach Bheag has two summits. Also there is a nice bit of left turn you need to do on the summit of A'Bhuidheanach. and in poor visibility, knowing where on the map the line of old fence posts is supposed to be might be quite handy, given they are not marked on the 1:50 000. I can use both, but I prefer the 25 000 which is probably more down to my personality than anything because I like to identify little wiggles in the contours and so on.
I liked A'Bhuidheanach Bheag actually. Such an expanse of emptiness, and a great place for a wild camp.

I agree. Two things I very much like

(1) "boring" hills like the Grampians, Monadh Liath etc. The sense of space, the shifting light over the slopes, the wildlife

(2) the detail in the 1:25000 map - all those little bumps, hollows, craglets and ponds.

But then, I am the sort of person who reads maps at bedtime, the way other people read novels. The latest OS edition or Harveys publication is like the latest Margaret Atwood to me. So I'm probably a bit odd.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
But then, I am the sort of person who reads maps at bedtime, the way other people read novels. The latest OS edition or Harveys publication is like the latest Margaret Atwood to me. So I'm probably a bit odd.

Tim

not at all odd, I am the same (well, maybe a bit odd, but in good company)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Knuckledragger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks all - I ended up printing off the WH map and using Viewranger.
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   
Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:80   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion