walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aonach Mor to Corrour Trek advice

Aonach Mor to Corrour Trek advice

Postby jon_mclean » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 am

Hi all, I'm planning on trekking from the Nevis ski centre to corrour next week and could do with a bit of advice from anyone who knows the area.

First day I'm aiming to get over aonach mor + beag and camp around Sgurr Choinnich. Second day to follow the ridge to Stob Choire Claurigh, down Stob Ban and camp by the allt na Lairige. Then on the final day up Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and across to corrour for the 18:25 train.

Does that seem like an intensive/ overly ambitious plan or would that be comfortable time for it?
Does anyone know of any particularly good spots to pitch up?
Also am I likely to find water sources along the ridge before the Lairige? I can see a few ponds and streams on the map but don't know if they're likely to be any good at the moment.

Final wee question, I haven't been out in a couple months, what's the midge situation at the moment? Have they mostly retreated or will I be devoured?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!!
jon_mclean
Munro compleatist

Munros:163   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Aonach Mor to Corrour Trek advice

Postby jmarkb » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:23 am

Doesn't look overly ambitious to me, and you have straightforward escape options onto lower ground after the Aonachs. The descent off Aonach Beag towards to Grey Corries is quite steep and awkward. There is a description here: https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/nevisroute.html but it could be tricky in poor visibility. Water should not be a problem: you might need to drop slightly off the ridge, but not far. Midges still likely to be around unfortunately: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/ so worth taking defenses (headnet, repellent).

Hope you have a great trip!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:06 am

Definitely doable, sounds a nice route actually. Water is a bit scarce on the Grey Corries ridge, we sourced water in between Sgurr Chonnich Mor and Stob Coure an Laoigh.
We pitched on the summit of Sgurr Chonich Beag. It's a lovely little grassy peak with fantastic views over to the Mamores.
Midges are beginning to die off, but they're still around. You'll be fine on the tops.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 am

I went over most of this section during a longer walk in the late seventies. I reached the area that you are asking about from Glen Nevis after a bivvy there. Prior to that it was Chno Dearg and Beinn na Lap and a walk out to Staoineag for the overnight....then the Mamores before getting to the second overnight.
My third overnight was at the Lairig Leanach bothy before finishing on the two tops out to the minor road and then up to the A86 for a hitch back out to the A9.
To reach the rail station at Tulloch ...not sure about this..is the railway bridge the only way to cross the river?
Never been there ..my own approach to my first hill was from the end of the minor road at Fersaid, where I got was dropped off by a relative, and where there is a bridge.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jon_mclean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks everyone, that's a good help! Think I'm set with that and just crossing my fingers for good weather now
jon_mclean
Munro compleatist

Munros:163   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion