walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Opinions please on 3 pairs of Munros.

Opinions please on 3 pairs of Munros.

Postby johnscot55 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 am

Being relatively new to hillwalking, I have to admit there are three pairs of Munros within my capture area that I've chickened out of committing myself to take on, worried about how strenuous I would find them (I'm getting on a bit). Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh, Ben More and Stob Binnein, and Bidean nam Bian with Stob Coire Sgreamhach. However last weekend, me, my grandson and a friend did BNB and SCS in Glen Coe, and while I know that opinions would be subjective, could anyone who has done the three pairs rate them in order of difficulty/strenuousness , so I could maybe guage if I'm up to the other two pairs :lol: . Thanks.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Opinions please on 3 pairs of Munros.

Postby prog99 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am

Depends on how you approach Ben More as its longer but more aesthetically pleasing from the NE that sees nowhere near as much traffic as the approach from the farm.
I'd say Cruachan is probably the biggest day out(adding the corbett on at the end is worth doing as it doesn't take you too much out the way)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:23 pm

If you don't go adding on the (worthwhile) extra tops to the Cruachan round, then the height gain on all 3 pairs is very similar. Cruachan is a little bit longer in distance than the other two. The standard route up Ben More is a bit of a relentless grind - the NE ridge (as prog99 suggests) is more interesting, as is starting from Inverlochlairig (doing Stob Binnein first).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:09 am

jmarkb wrote:the Ben More NE ridge (as prog99 suggests) is more interesting, as is starting from Inverlochlairig (doing Stob Binnein first).

People advised me to do this route and I'm glad I did, I have a walk report for it. Great day out and great views.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby DavidShepherd » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:57 am

I'd say BNB was the most strenuois. If you've done that the others shouldn't be too bad.
But as someone else said already, if you start Ben More from Inverlochlairig it makes it a lot easier, you can also miss out the ascent back up Stob Binnein by following Inverlochlairig Glen back down to a land rover track, past the farm and back to the car park. (though don't fracture your ankle on the way down and walk back on it like I did!)
Cruachan is tough heading up the scree from the reservoir but not really any worse than BNB.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Sgurr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Find it hard to work out from your photo what "getting on a bit" means. But having done Bidean, I would guess it means as old as you feel and probably a lot younger than your chronological age. We were well over 60 before people started asking "Do you mind telling us how old you are?" i.e. "You look a bit old to be up on the Ring of Steall." Now, I don't let it worry me. Just go for them. If you can't manage them, you can always turn back. (Unless you have already done the "bad step" which isn't, and don't fancy repeating it.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 am

Sgurr wrote:Find it hard to work out from your photo what "getting on a bit" means. But having done Bidean, I would guess it means as old as you feel and probably a lot younger than your chronological age.

"Getting on a bit" for me means I'm 64 and only started hill-walking a couple of years ago. And guess what, me and my grandson Matthew and friend Andy did Stob Binnein and Ben More on Saturday (28th Sept) from Inverlochlarig. That's two of my scary three done in the last fortnight.😁. Only Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh to do. Did the slightly less impressive Cairnwell 3 in the weekend between
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:21 am

johnscot55 wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Find it hard to work out from your photo what "getting on a bit" means. But having done Bidean, I would guess it means as old as you feel and probably a lot younger than your chronological age.

"Getting on a bit" for me means I'm 64 and only started hill-walking a couple of years ago. And guess what, me and my grandson Matthew and friend Andy did Stob Binnein and Ben More on Saturday (28th Sept) from Inverlochlarig. That's two of my scary three done in the last fortnight.😁. Only Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh to do. Did the slightly less impressive Cairnwell 3 in the weekend between

Very well done. I've met several people on the hills who only started a Munro round when they retired, and I assume a good few completed like the guy who was on his penultimate one at the age of 67 when we met.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:59 am

Sgurr wrote:
johnscot55 wrote:

Very well done. I've met several people on the hills who only started a Munro round when they retired, and I assume a good few completed like the guy who was on his penultimate one at the age of 67 when we met.

I am under no illusion that i will ever compleat/complete. Family commitments means I cannot really get the time to tackle the hills that require overnight stays, or staying a few days in a certain region. However, I'm happy to be picking off the the hills which I can practically do and there are still quite a few on my radar to have a go at. I have a number in mind and if I get to that, it will be my personal "compleation" :D.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby Tony C » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 pm

All of the advice given was I believe spot on and... be careful with 'getting on' stuff, I'm 64 as well, 2nd Munro round just completed and shedloads still to come sir, so keep at it and ENJOY!
No interest in going all the way yourself is good, you can stick to the cracking munros and really enjoy yourself!
Tony C
Walker

Postby johnscot55 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:29 am

Tony C wrote:No interest in going all the way yourself is good, you can stick to the cracking munros and really enjoy yourself!

Not so much "no interest", that would be fantastic, I'm just realistic. However, congratulations on your own double round. Very impressive. Can't begin to imagine how many epic days you had to reach this goal. Well done!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion