walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Paul Tattersall

Paul Tattersall

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm

I realize there are so many guides people use for the Skye Cuillin,the last twice I've used Paul Tattersall who is based in Gairloch,and what an amazing guide and person he is.Last May in the most horrible weather he very safely guide myself and three very good friends over Dub Mor & Nan Eg, however last Saturday Paul in my eyes went above and beyond what we expected of anyone,let me explain.

Due to unforseen circumstances only 2 of us managed to met him at 7:00am at the Slig on Saturday morning,my other 2 friends had been delayed driving up from Stirling due to a crash at Crianlarach and then road closures further up meaning they did not arrive at the Slig until 10:00am Saturday morning,Paul was sorry to hear what had happened but understood we had no way of cancelling at such short notice, anyway fast forward an hour into the walk and Paul stops and says If you can call your 2 friends and find out when they think they might arrive in Skye we can alter our plans so I can guide you pair over Sgurr nan Gillean & Am Bastier,then if you are ok you guys can carry on to Bruach nan Frithe and I will wait at the Bealach Bastier for the other 2 to arrive I will then go back over Gillean & Bastier with them,a quick call and this was arranged.

As far as me and the other 3 were concerned he did not have to do anything like this,we all understood my 2 friends who missed the arranged start time by over 3 hours would forfiet the days guiding.Paul would have none of it,so after guiding me and my friend up Gillean & Bastier he waited at the bealach between the two until my other 2 friends arrived and took them over Gillean & Bastier.what an awesome guy.

So if anyone is looking for a Skye guide look no further than this amazing human being,we all thank you from the bottom of our heart's,you turned a bad situation into the most amazing day we have ever had.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Paul Tattersall

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 pm

Excellent! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby prog99 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 pm

That doesn't surprise me, I know Paul and he is absolutely a top guy. He did a 2 day learn to trad climb course for us and was a joy to be with.
I'd also not hesitate in recommending him for all sorts of fun days in the hills. (He can also be found in the gairloch climbing wall if the weather is poor)

You should ask him about biking the munros and being a male model.

" />
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:40 pm

This is the madman who first took a mountain bike to the top of the Inn Pinn, not to mention doing the Cuillin Ridge both ways in (if I remember correctly) about 12.5 hours, including a 30 minute kip half-way through!

I've never met him, but I think he is definitely a member of that select club, the Living Legends!!

Great to hear also what a fine human being he is to boot.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Spot on my friend. He is a gem. In this commercially driven world nice to find someone who genuinely looks for solutions and is selfless in his acts. :clap: :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Alan S » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Brilliant, again can't thank him enough for what he done for me and james will never forget this weekend. A perfect guide and gentleman and would recommend him to anyone :clap:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 am

I have used Paul a couple of times,a really nice easy guy to get on with.
Nothing is too much of a problem,the thing I liked about him was he pushed me outside my comfort zone but still made me feel safe.
A little thing about Paul is he took a bike to all the Munro summits about 25 years ago,he didn't have a clue about Munros and thought it was just like the Lake District.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am

Excellent stuff! Great story about Paul, and well done on those Skye Munros, GLW.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Nice one gammy - given everything that's going on around us at the moment, it's good to hear this - thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion