walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Google Photos problem - please, help

Re: Google Photos problem - please, help

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:47 pm

John Doh wrote:BP you have my full compassion. In my case only one walk report was affected and it was frustrating enough to do this one report all over so I can only imagine how frustrating it must be if many reports are affected.

Thank you. Close to 200 reports in my blog were affected. It means weeks of reposting.

Sadly, most of my TRs have more than 25 photos. Walkhighlands restricts the number of attachments to only 25. Basically, I'm now condemned to Flickr.

At least have everything backed up in PDFs, I also have the originally prepared (resized) photos sorted by TR, set in the right order. So it's only a matter of reuploading to new server, then a boring procedure of copy-paste, copy-paste... :roll:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I never saw any posts suggesting you check the sharing permissions on the albums. Were they still marked as public, especially if they were older ones. From personal experience i have seen albums/pictures on my google photos become unshared after a while.

PS, it's unlikely one of the largest tech companies is going to be able to respond to this type of issues with any speed unless it became a huge issue affecting thousands. Important to you, but small fry to them unfortunately.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby John Doh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:11 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
Sadly, most of my TRs have more than 25 photos. Walkhighlands restricts the number of attachments to only 25. Basically, I'm now condemned to Flickr.

May be worth flagging this to Paul, perhaps he can drop this limitation as well now his server is more performing.
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:51 am

The limit is now 40, though I think Google search doesn't like pages with very many photos. The images are served by Amazon Cloudfront and not our server, which is more expensive but means our server isn't impacted by reports with lots of images; they also only load as you scroll them into view which prevents the report being a mess on slower connections.

You can also now upload images without resizing - the Walkhighlands server will do it for you (though note we do not save the original images)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 am

Paul Webster wrote:The limit is now 40

MERCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I was just going to write you about it :D Paul, you saved my life! (I was in danger of eating my own shoes from frustration).

It solves most of my problems. There are still several big TRs with over 40 photos, but I'll use Flickr for the excess load.

DavidShepherd wrote:it's unlikely one of the largest tech companies is going to be able to respond to this type of issues with any speed unless it became a huge issue affecting thousands. Important to you, but small fry to them unfortunately.

Sad but true. I wonder how widespread this problem is - it affected both my and Kevin's account. All albums after January 2017 are infected. Also affects anything new I upload. It's hard to believe that it's an issue only with me and Kevin, must be a problem for many other accounts, but as photos still work when you're logged in to Google, possibly most users didn't even notice the issue, as long as they don't share photos stored in Google on other public forums.
I contacted Google twice but sadly the only way of flagging a problem is the "send feedback" button. I wonder if anybody actually bothers to read the feedback messages. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I've given up hoping they will fix it soon.

At least I can now have my lunch in peace (no shoes :lol: :lol: ) Thanks again, mr Webster. :-D

PS. Here is one TR I revived yesterday - photos straight to WH. Photos can no longer be viewed in separate windows, but I don't care about that. And the quality looks very good:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91666
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion