walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kintail Brothers & Sisters + Beinn Fhada and A'Ghlas Bheinn

Kintail Brothers & Sisters + Beinn Fhada and A'Ghlas Bheinn

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:40 am

Hi All,

Planning on doing this over 2 days on w/e of 26th October. Route based on a modified version of this:

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/kintailroute.html

Changes as follows:

1) Start the walk from the NTS Office Car Park, which I understand is opposite the Morvich campsite

2) Visit Falls of Glomach before summiting A'Ghlas Bheinn from the North

3) Continue along the sisters ridge and drop directly back down towards Morvich from Sgurr na Moraich at the end instead of dropping down to Torrlaoighseach as per Steve's plotted route

Depending on the weather, may stay at the Camban bothy on the Saturday night or wild camp a bit further on.

The relevant Harvey map is being delivered today, so can have a proper look later, but I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping WHers can help out with:

1) We fly into Inverness at 10 pm on Friday and will drive to Morvich. Are camping gas canisters available in or near Morvich (can't fly with them and too late to buy on the Friday, I assume)?

2) Any good pitching spots worth considering close to Ciste Dhubh (if I'm making good time and it's too early to stop at Camban)

3) Any other things to be aware of on the route? (I understand stalking ends on 20th October in the area...)

Many Thanks

Rod
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Re: Kintail Brothers & Sisters + Beinn Fhada and A'Ghlas Bhe

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Did something similar a few years back starting and finishing at the NTS car park (free as I'm a member) but excluding your visit to the waterfall. I camped on the Bealach a’Choinnich between Ciste Dhub and Sgurr an Fhuarail where I managed to find a water source.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks rockhopper, that's good to know. Sounds like it's a bit of a slog up CD, so camping close to where you did might be good to avoid having to do it first thing Sunday.

My main concerns right now are where to pitch the tent (pay to pitch at campsite if can get late access or just try and sleep in the car?) when we arrive in Morvich very late Friday/very early Saturday and where to buy gas for the stove. Nearby petrol station maybe?
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Sheil bridge campsite stays open all year, with no barrier to late arrival. Payment is at the petrol station shop. They have stocked gas in the past, given the lateness in the season you'd be advised to phone them and check/reserve the gas. If no success there the nearest would be Home and hardware in Kyle.
Scraggygoat

Postby malrc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Excellent, thanks. I'm possibly now leaning towards staying at the Travelodge near the the airport on the Friday night and driving down to Morvich early Saturday, getting gas en route.

Seems that this would de-stress proceedings a little and I don't think there is a particular need to start the hike at first light on Saturday...
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:27 pm

malrc wrote:where to buy gas for the stove. Nearby petrol station maybe?

Shiel Shop at Shiel Bridge is maybe your best bet - it serves the next-door campsite. You could call ahead to make sure they have what you need (tel. 01599 511221). There is another petrol station at Inverinate.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malrc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I've contacted the Shiel Shop and they are putting one aside, so thank you for the suggestion!
malrc
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion