walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Looking for non-vertiginous hills for hubby with vertigo!

Looking for non-vertiginous hills for hubby with vertigo!

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello

My husband has severe vertigo - we did the North Berwick Law recently and he just about coped, but was shaky - and several times has had to stop just metres from the summit of something because he couldn't go any further.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can recommend some shorter hills I can do with him that don't have steep drops near the path! Unless it's ones I've already done I can't be certain we won't encounter something he can't do, so personal experience is handy. We are in Inverness....

Does vertigo get better with time?? I hope so!

Cheers

Fiona
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Looking for non-vertiginous hills for hubby with vertigo

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:17 pm

What about Ben Macdui. Near Inverness and though it is the 2nd highest munro you can park at the ski centre which gives you a start at over 600 metres. A nice walk on a good clear day.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:33 pm

In England, although you can gaze at the rock climbs near it Ilkley Moor (as its name implies) is nearly flat. Some of the Donalds are pretty good for that. Take your pick from these https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80361. Mount Hill near Cupar (Fife) is good, but with trees most of the way round it, you don't get the views.
You would not believe that I was once horribly vertiginous. Husband looked back when we were just married and found me CRAWLING up Caer Caradoc in Wales, and as I child I had to cross the road to avoid the slight hill that joined the main road, as I thought I would fall if I went across it. Have since abseiled the Inn Pin (but unlike husband, turned down the opportunity to do it a second time with friends. Enough is enough)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby simon-b » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 pm

MusicalHiker wrote:

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona.
Has your husband seen a doctor to diagnose what type of vertigo he has?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Could you not try some of the long distance walking trails that tend to wind in and out of exposed places?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby lexyz22 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:What about Ben Macdui. Near Inverness and though it is the 2nd highest munro you can park at the ski centre which gives you a start at over 600 metres. A nice walk on a good clear day.

I can second this! :wink: :wink:
lexyz22
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:What about Ben Macdui. Near Inverness and though it is the 2nd highest munro you can park at the ski centre which gives you a start at over 600 metres. A nice walk on a good clear day.

Ah yes - I did Ben Macdui and it was fine! Might take him up there..... also Bynack More would be ok and even Cairngorm... although I'd rather find a few I've not already done!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:04 pm

simon-b wrote:
MusicalHiker wrote:

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona.
Has your husband seen a doctor to diagnose what type of vertigo he has?

Errrrr...... no! I don't think either of us thought it might be something that could be helped at all by a doctor... it only happens at the top of high steep hills and places like the Scott Monument in Edinburgh... I'll mention it to him!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:Could you not try some of the long distance walking trails that tend to wind in and out of exposed places?

Absolutely! We live on the Great Glen Way and also love the Water of Leith walkway in Edinburgh, I personally like getting to the top of something but a mixture is fine!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby Jorja the Dug » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 pm

I'm rubbish with heights too, so he has my sympathy.

There's a fair bit of scope at the hills around Drumochter. You can make it as short or as long a day as you fancy, and personally I think the hills are better than their reputation suggests.

Also, A'Mharconaich isn't a bad one to build up the "steep drop confidence". You can get close to what looks like a cliff-ish edge, but you don't need to.

:)
Jorja the Dug
Mountaineer

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Sgor Gaoith from Achlean, Glenfeshie. A nice path and a fantastic viewpoint. Big drops at the top but no need to go near them.
I think everyone is scared of heights but to different levels. It's only natural and a good thing. Gradual exposure is a good tactic, a good way to get used to it, I have found.
Sunset tripper

Postby xtina89 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:06 am

My boyfriend has the same issue!

We have managed to build up his confidence over the years - when we first started walking together he had a pretty serious wobble on the 3 Beinns on Arran, but gradually over the years has gotten much better - in August we did Bidean with no problems at all! However, every now and then it can still come back suddenly - for the most part his vertigo is much improved.

I second what others have said - the plateau of the cairngorms are a really good shout. He also had no issue at the Beinn Dearg 4 near Ullapool - I seem to remember there were no "dodgy bits" that day.
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Postby OpenC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 am

Beinn a' Chrulaiste at the entrance to Glen Coe is a spectacular way to experience the drama of the area from a completely safe and easy (although the path is sometimes not that easy to follow) environment. The view of the big Buachaille is second to none.

I can't even remember the name of the munro above Achnasheen (Fionn Beinn?) but I recall that being easy enough and although I didn't get a view I imagined that it must be pretty good.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 pm

OpenC wrote:I can't even remember the name of the munro above Achnasheen (Fionn Beinn?) but I recall that being easy enough and although I didn't get a view I imagined that it must be pretty good.

From what I remember the path up Fionn Bheinn, tame enough for the most part, gets pretty close to the edge of the ravine of the Allt Achadh na Sine, which is quite vertiginous in places. Pretty sure its possible to avoid this path by ascending tussocky ground to the right (east), though. The view from the top is reportedly very fine, but I didn't see it either. :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Just remembered Beinn nan Ramh in Torridon, which is very gentle (amazing for Torridon) and Beinn Feusage (ditto) In terms of views they both give an awful lot of bang for bucks....but are Grahams, so no use if you want Munros. The former had some very intrusive works putting in some hydro earlier, but I believe that it is looking better now.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion