walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Looking for non-vertiginous hills for hubby with vertigo!

Re: Looking for non-vertiginous hills for hubby with vertigo

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 am

MusicalHiker wrote:
simon-b wrote:
MusicalHiker wrote:
Does vertigo get better with time?? I hope so!

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona.
Has your husband seen a doctor to diagnose what type of vertigo he has?

Errrrr...... no! I don't think either of us thought it might be something that could be helped at all by a doctor... it only happens at the top of high steep hills and places like the Scott Monument in Edinburgh... I'll mention it to him!

Hi, Fiona.

I mentioned this because I did once have an attack of vertigo, diagnosed as BPPV....

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vertigo/

I was at home when it happened, nowhere near a mountain or a high place. There are some cases of reaction to heights triggering vertigo in some people, but that's not happened to me, even during exposed scrambles. Maybe your husband suffers from fear of heights or acrophobia rather than genuine vertigo?

People with acrophobia or an irrational fear of heights have a reaction to high places that outweighs their chance of actually falling. In which case, suggestions made by other posters on this forum to gradually increase confidence through experience might help. On the other hand, I know from personal experience that true vertigo causes severe loss of balance and coordination, therefore the chance of falling in an exposed place is actually increased. So I stayed away from exosed situations until my vertigo had been treated. Since then, I've had no recurrences and I'm ok with heights again.

So, will fear of heights get better with time? It depends on the individual. I have numerous hillwalking friends who have fear of heights. Some of them have improved with time and experience, others haven't or even get worse. So time will tell! The good news is that all these hillwalking friends have many routes into spectacular scenery, on high mountains, available to them that are not too scary.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rodderss » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi Fiona.
Has your husband seen a doctor to diagnose what type of vertigo he has?[/quote]

Errrrr...... no! I don't think either of us thought it might be something that could be helped at all by a doctor... it only happens at the top of high steep hills and places like the Scott Monument in Edinburgh... I'll mention it to him![/quote]

Hi, Fiona.

I mentioned this because I did once have an attack of vertigo, diagnosed as BPPV....

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vertigo/

I was at home when it happened, nowhere near a mountain or a high place. There are some cases of reaction to heights triggering vertigo in some people, but that's not happened to me, even during exposed scrambles. Maybe your husband suffers from fear of heights or acrophobia rather than genuine vertigo?

People with acrophobia or an irrational fear of heights have a reaction to high places that outweighs their chance of actually falling. In which case, suggestions made by other posters on this forum to gradually increase confidence through experience might help. On the other hand, I know from personal experience that true vertigo causes severe loss of balance and coordination, therefore the chance of falling in an exposed place is actually increased. So I stayed away from exosed situations until my vertigo had been treated. Since then, I've had no recurrences and I'm ok with heights again.

So, will fear of heights get better with time? It depends on the individual. I have numerous hillwalking friends who have fear of heights. Some of them have improved with time and experience, others haven't or even get worse. So time will tell! The good news is that all these hillwalking friends have many routes into spectacular scenery, on high mountains, available to them that are not too scary.[/quote]

Simon.thats a great post.My mother in law has vertigo(treated but still flares up) ..absolutely horrible.would rather have a fear of heights any day.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:48 pm

I suspect your husband suffers from visual height intolerance rather than true vertigo. You might find this that I posted a while ago useful:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76702&p=362310#p362310
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby katyhills » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:23 pm

I'd echo Chrulaiste - great viewpoint. On a clear day, you can see all the Glencoe hills, right down Glen Etive, and across to Nevis and The Mamores.
Meall Chuaich at Drumochter is straighforward, as are all the Munros there, and is actually quite a pleasant walk. Like a football pitch at the top :wink:
Carn a Chlamain in Glen Tilt is also straightforward, albeit a long walk, unless you have a bike to make it quicker, but that glen alone is stunning. :)
In addition to Gaoith, neighbouring Mullach Clach a Bhlair is also good, without any scary areas unless you seek them out.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Sgor Gaoith from Achlean, Glenfeshie. A nice path and a fantastic viewpoint. Big drops at the top but no need to go near them.
I think everyone is scared of heights but to different levels. It's only natural and a good thing. Gradual exposure is a good tactic, a good way to get used to it, I have found.

We ended up here sort of by accident last weekend - did a couple of hours up the track but too late in the day to make it all the way up. Definitely on the list though!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:32 pm

jmarkb wrote:I suspect your husband suffers from visual height intolerance rather than true vertigo. You might find this that I posted a while ago useful:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76702&p=362310#p362310

That sounds EXACTLY like it. Very interesting - thank you!!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:36 pm

katyhills wrote:I'd echo Chrulaiste - great viewpoint. On a clear day, you can see all the Glencoe hills, right down Glen Etive, and across to Nevis and The Mamores.
Meall Chuaich at Drumochter is straighforward, as are all the Munros there, and is actually quite a pleasant walk. Like a football pitch at the top :wink:
Carn a Chlamain in Glen Tilt is also straightforward, albeit a long walk, unless you have a bike to make it quicker, but that glen alone is stunning. :)
In addition to Gaoith, neighbouring Mullach Clach a Bhlair is also good, without any scary areas unless you seek them out.

Thanks for these recommendations! I'll definitely check them all out for future walks!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 pm

Very grateful to you all for suggestions, and pointing out that a fear of heights isn't the same as true vertigo - I think that's what he has, as it only happens when the ground gets high up and pointy!
Cheers everyone :)
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion