walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Second Munro Round - Cheating or not cheating??

Second Munro Round - Cheating or not cheating??

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 am

Hi,

I am on the brink of compleating my first round of Munro's, but I wanted to get a general idea from all my fellow walkers about my second round (only 2 to go with them pencilled in for 10/11/19).

However, over the years whilst on my way to my first compleation I have climbed quite a few Munro's more than once.

My question to you all is.
Is it ok to count Munro's I have climbed more than once during my first round and put them towards my second round before I have finished my first round?

Or is this cheating?

I am keen to gain your thoughts on this please..
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:145   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Second Munro Round - Cheating or not cheating??

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am

This topic has appeared on and off over the years with varying responses. :roll: You could ask ten hillwalkers and get eleven different responses. :? :wink: No hard and fast rules - it's really up to you and how you wish to count them. I suspect many would include in a round two if they'd climbed separately twice in round one.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 am

Depends if you're a banker or a golfer.

Bankers obviously bank Munros they've done twice or more during a round, whereas golfers start from scratch.

There's no rules, so it's entirely up to yourself. I'm in the banker camp myself, if you've been up a Munro twice, then the 2nd accent goes towards round 2.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 am

See the latter part of page 1 of this recent thread:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92365

As rockhopper and WWW say, there aren't (thank goodness) any rules on this: both basic approaches - start again or stockpile - are valid, and it can be fun to keep tabs on both if so minded. Occasionally you hear someone taking a hard line, but that's pretty much invariably from the "start again" side - I'm not sure I've ever come across a cumulative stockpiler telling people that they *mustn't* wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. 

It tends to be heavily governed in practical terms by how many repeats someone has on completion - if it's fewer than 20 then they're quite likely to start again, if it's hundreds or even thousands then they're unlikely to, as it would seem daft.

Good luck with the last two anyway - hope you get good weather for them. A Stirling friend completed his (first and almost certainly only) round in mid-November a couple of years ago and was really lucky with conditions - nice and bright with some thin snow.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:59 am

I think it's up to you.
My personal view is that as long as you climbed them on separate occasions, then it's fine to count those already climbed twice towards your second round (i.e. don't count the first munro if you did a round of 2 or more as an out and back so you had to go back over the first munro on your way down).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Yes, almost certainly.

Although i've touched the top of Lochnagar, enough times to put in the bank for my next 50 rounds

its time this site had a wee "cheater" script for underneath the profile pictures imo
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:31 pm

I've noticed this topic before and it seems that most of the answers are pretty much around "there's no right or wrong".

I've got no opinion myself whether counting previous summits toward the next round is right or not.

However, it would seem to me that the one used by Steven Fallon, that is recognised as the most completed rounds, surely must be the right one.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Backpacker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:08 pm

If I ever do a 2nd round I’ll be counting my repeats towards it
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Coop » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Backpacker wrote:If I ever do a 2nd round I’ll be counting my repeats towards it

Ditto
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby crfishwick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Dunblane Bagger wrote:Hi,

I am on the brink of compleating my first round of Munro's, but I wanted to get a general idea from all my fellow walkers about my second round (only 2 to go with them pencilled in for 10/11/19).

However, over the years whilst on my way to my first compleation I have climbed quite a few Munro's more than once.

My question to you all is.
Is it ok to count Munro's I have climbed more than once during my first round and put them towards my second round before I have finished my first round?

Or is this cheating?

I am keen to gain your thoughts on this please..

Why bother? It's not as though it is something unique nowadays! I personally could claim about 2 rounds but never would. Once is enough.
Similar to breaking a World marathon record with pace setters. Unfortunately a marathon is a misnomer as all marathons are not done on a fair playing field :clap:
crfishwick

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:41 am

crfishwick wrote:Why bother? It's not as though it is something unique nowadays! I personally could claim about 2 rounds but never would. Once is enough.

What is unique these days? 1 round is enough for me too, but it's up to each individual.

Plus a second round would be good to revisit the Munros you never got a view or perhaps rushed because it was all about the tick or even attempt them from a different route.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:59 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:Plus a second round would be good to revisit the Munros you never got a view or perhaps rushed because it was all about the tick or even attempt them from a different route.

:thumbup: Yup. Revisit where no view first time, try a different route, revisit as it's been a long time since first visit etc - also the reasons why I plan to get on to a partial second round but just picking hills which suit me and will never finish a second round.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gaffr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am

If you have the energy and resources to travel to the many out of the way parts of the country in search of HiIls then continue but you don't have to record or even tell anyone about this odd habit of early starts, usually at weekends, before anyone else in your neighborhood is up and about. :)
As was said earlier ascending by a completely different route or walking in a different season, alone or with different companions perhaps, from that of the first visit should give added satisfaction.
Who would you be trying to gain an advantage over? :lol:
I must have been struggling with the keyboard when the prior post was made. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 am

I compleated in June and am now doing the Corbetts. I had done four Corbetts during my munro round but started my Corbett round from zero. Not sure why - the idea of a clean sweep of the Corbetts just seemed more logical to me.

I've also since done four munros which I'll include towards my second munro round. I had done five or six munros twice during my first round but they won't be counted towards my second round.

Makes sense to me but probably to nobody else!

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:12 pm

It just doesn't seem very *round* if bits of it are joined onto something else. The word suggests to me a thing complete in itself.

But if that's what people generally do, then fine. You still have to do it all in the end.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion