walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Important: Photo hosting on Google Photos or your own site

Re: Important: Photo hosting on Google Photos or your own si

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:31 am

I've been doing a little digging regarding this.
It seems that a number of people experience this - any photos linked or posted with a url that contains googleusercontent.com seems to have the content "unlinked" after a while. It seems that it's just a temporary link and is perhaps working as it should by removing the link.

OP - can you explain how you are sharing the photos? I would like to try it for myself as well and see if i get the same issue.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 pm

denfinella wrote:I've only just seen this thread but your image has certainly already disappeared at the time of posting this.

Commiserations on needing to re-upload all your past photos. Your walk reports are some of the best on here, and some of the most photo-heavy, so I can see it'll be a mammoth task

It took roughly 3 hours to disappear!

I'm currently going through the slow process of reposting. I expect all my Google photos will vanish so better replace them before that happens.

DavidShepherd wrote:can you explain how you are sharing the photos? I would like to try it for myself as well and see if i get the same issue.

Thank you for finding time to do some digging. I have also noticed that I'm not the only user affected. Photos seem to vanish all over the web...
As for how I embed photos, very simple.
1. upload to Google photos
2. right-click on "copy image location"
3. paste the link into WH using the [img]**[/img] function
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

OK. Trying it now: Embedding -

I suspect, and i will check this when the link breaks, that if you were to do the same again the url you are pasting will be different.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:I suspect, and i will check this when the link breaks, that if you were to do the same again the url you are pasting will be different.

I have already checked that, using photos from 2 different accounts (mine and my husbands) and the answer is yes, the url is different the second time.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:25 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
DavidShepherd wrote:I suspect, and i will check this when the link breaks, that if you were to do the same again the url you are pasting will be different.

I have already checked that, using photos from 2 different accounts (mine and my husbands) and the answer is yes, the url is different the second time.

Yeah i thought it would, it seems that's just how it works now. There's a lot of supposition as to why but can't find any real reason. I've tried something different (bit of a roundabout route i found) and embedded it below to see if it removes itself:
Also adjusted the size because i wanted to :)

DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby DavidShepherd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 am

My photos still seem to be linked. Will wait a bit longer to see if they go.
Basically, what i am thinking is that when you right click and select image location, the URL you get is derived from whatever server you have connected to to get the preview and after a while it becomes invalid because the link is only temporary. I don't know if this is the case or not but it seems likely in case anyone can gather any account information from the link.

I posted mine by going in to my google photos, sharing the photo, pasting the url it creates in to another browser where i was not logged in and then did the same right click, get image location.
Bit of a long winded way, but a few forums I have read have stated that this is the best way round it. Unfortunately I don't think Google Photos is really meant to work this way and it's facilities are for storing and sharing, unlike Flickr for example.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:35 pm

I can only see the second photo you embedded - the first one comes up as a blank square. Checked on PC (windows) and tablet (Android).

The long-winded way does work (at least the photo below is showing) but it is far too fiddly to use for multiple photos. It would be a good solution for those who have a few broken reports or a single picture here and there, but for me, re-uploading to WH and simply replacing the link works quicker than re-instating thousands of broken links. Many thanks for working that out, regardless, I really appreciate your effort. I'm sure other WH members who have been affected, will find it useful.

Cheers
Black Panther
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I can only see the second photo you embedded - the first one comes up as a blank square. Checked on PC (windows) and tablet (Android).

FWIW I hve just cleared history etc on my relatively old android phone and yet can still see both David's photos yet on an old samsung tablet I can only see the more recent photo.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:FWIW I hve just cleared history etc on my relatively old android phone and yet can still see both David's photos yet on an old samsung tablet I can only see the more recent photo.

It is a strange puzzle indeed. My Android8 tablet can't see the first one. On PC, I can only see it in Firefox, but not in Opera. I'm giving up on it :roll: :roll:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby DavidShepherd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

Giving up on it seems the best idea!
I can still see both, i was expecting to not be able to see the first one.

The long-winded way does work (at least the photo below is showing) but it is far too fiddly to use for multiple photos. It would be a good solution for those who have a few broken reports or a single picture here and there, but for me, re-uploading to WH and simply replacing the link works quicker than re-instating thousands of broken links. Many thanks for working that out, regardless, I really appreciate your effort. I'm sure other WH members who have been affected, will find it useful

I feel the same! And no problem, when I read your issue I kinda had to have a look at it for my own interest :)
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Poor old Google! Must be feeling the pinch ... :(
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:190   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:02 am

Could this be related to Google also retiring their URL shortener?

They do not seem to want to be an infrastructure provider.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Could this be related to Google also retiring their URL shortener?

They do not seem to want to be an infrastructure provider.

I wouldn't think so. The shortener was a different tool, unrelated to how google provides an image shortcut
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 pm

I've just discovered the same thing - what a pain - and after the great struggle i had moving from Picasa to google :lol: :lol: Now I'll have to do much the same as BP
I'm afraid it's always been my view that a free internet funded by advertising was never going to work longterm, so Why don't google just make a small annual charge? Did you suggest this to them Paul
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am

past my sell by date wrote:I've just discovered the same thing - what a pain - and after the great struggle i had moving from Picasa to google :lol: :lol: Now I'll have to do much the same as BP

Sorry to hear this :( I hope you don't have as many to repost as I do. Currently about 50% done but I'm getting fed up with all the copy-paste business!

Suggesting something to Google is probably a waste of time. They have the "send feedback" button but I wonder, does anybody even read the feedback messages?

I also used Picasa (still use the program itself to organize and resize my photos on the PC) and I wondered why Google decided to kill it. It was quite popular. Now this broken link affair. I guess, they want their photo storage to be just that - a personal photo vault, available only for you.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion