walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glenfinnan parking

Glenfinnan parking

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Just to inform anyone who is planning to head to Glenfinnan to tackle the odd hill or two, the small car park that was kind of set aside for walkers is now closed. There is a new gate across the tarmac road and large stones preventing parking even if you get through the gate.
There is parking nearby at the Scottish National Trust car park, however you will either need to be a member or have £3 handy. The parking machines weren't working yesterday but am sure they will be fixed soon.

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Glenfinnan parking

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

It also says no overnight parking at the nts car park but if you pop in to the visitor centre and let them know, it's not a problem. We did this when we camped up Glenfinnan last month
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Image

My understanding is as a private landholder they can charge (PCN, Parking Charge Notice) but it was illegal for them to clamp or tow (only statutory bodies, e.g. police or council, can do either).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Struggled to get parked there last time myself before the gate was there. I blame the Harry Potter books - the work of the devil! :shock:

They will close Corryhully next! :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Struggled to get parked there last time myself before the gate was there. I blame the Harry Potter books - the work of the devil! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please,please,please not another 10 pages on Bothy closure
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Ronnie Hillbagger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Struggled to get parked there last time myself before the gate was there. I blame the Harry Potter books - the work of the devil! :shock:

Alright Sunset,

You never know Corryhully is listed in the Bothy Bible but not in any of JK Rowling's efforts :D
Ronnie Hillbagger
Mountain Walker

Postby Essan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 pm

I was quite pleased to see the closure of the old parking place: deters party goers from using Corryhully. May be one of the reasons that the Estate are now working on improving the bothy, for CWTers and others on long walks for whom parking isnt an issue.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Ronnie Hillbagger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Essan wrote:I was quite pleased to see the closure of the old parking place: deters party goers from using Corryhully. May be one of the reasons that the Estate are now working on improving the bothy, for CWTers and others on long walks for whom parking isnt an issue.

Hi Essan,

One bothy and one parking place closed - not a bad outcome for you this last couple of weeks then?

Although it has to said that it's also not a bad spot for parking if your bagging Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan. I'd wager a combo of Harry Potter and Bonnie Prince Charlie is responsible for the closure but don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudices :D
Ronnie Hillbagger
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Ronnie Hillbagger wrote:Although it has to said that it's also not a bad spot for parking if your bagging Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan. :D

I'd venture to say that the closure of this small parking area is not a big problem for walkers to sgurr thuilm and sgurr nan coireachain. The NTS car park is a mere 50m away, free if you are a member, and £3 if you aren't is a small price. I was there only last month. Was there last summer too with my mother arriving about 11am just 10 mins before the Jacobite Express went through. The train was a sight but even more amazing were the crowds. We were directed to park in a field on the south side of the road. Most of the people only stayed for the train. So as long as you arrive well before 11 there should be no problem getting parked.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 pm

This was a very useful carpark, but in recent years mobbed by Instagram Harry Potter tourists (to at times to grid-lock), there is another carpark under construction to cope with tourist numbers, but what this new carparks position and that of the NTS will be, on long term parking....NTS might change thier position when they get more requests to leave vehicles for long periods, as they are commonly packed as well.

From an outdoor users perspective backpackers used to leave cars for multiple days walking through to Knoydart, and getting the boat / train back from Inverie/Mallaig, or walking through to Mallaig. From a paddlers point of view Open boaters (Canadian canoeists) and sea kayakers used to leave cars there for multiple days (upto a week for some open boaters) while paddling down Loch Sheil and out into the sea, before following the coast round to Loch Ailort or Arisaig and getting the train back to recover thier cars. These are both absolute Scottish classics. Obviously the car park was also well used my Munro baggers.

So it's affect could be far from 'limited', fingers crossed the replacement will be ammeanable to these groups desires.
Scraggygoat

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:19 pm

They may just put the prices up, as in the Lake District. Th car park by the Stickles is over £10 now....and that is for a day.My NTS sub which I got for just one person has more than paid for itself since I started bagging Wainwrights.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby crfishwick » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Just to inform anyone who is planning to head to Glenfinnan to tackle the odd hill or two, the small car park that was kind of set aside for walkers is now closed. There is a new gate across the tarmac road and large stones preventing parking even if you get through the gate.
There is parking nearby at the Scottish National Trust car park, however you will either need to be a member or have £3 handy. The parking machines weren't working yesterday but am sure they will be fixed soon.

LOL! Haven't they built the "Harry Potter"experience CPark then? :(

Thankfully I know another nearby parking spot. " shush" :D
crfishwick

Postby Glengavel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:08 am

When I visited Glenfinnan I parked up by the church. After viewing the rammy at the visitor centre café, we opted instead to go up to the railway station for a cup of tea.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:45 pm

darn it - the secret of my planned "Carpark Bible' guide is out.....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion