walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Isle of Rum Sandy Corrie

Isle of Rum Sandy Corrie

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 pm

I've just arrived back from two glorious days on the Isle of Rum and chilly overnight stay at Dibidil bothy, which was magic. This time of year the island was deserted with only 4 overnight visitors on the island and one being the lovely school teacher.

So I tried to climb Ainshval from the bothy and turned back around 520m when things got too steep for me on the south ridge. Yes I could climb from the Atlantic Corrie and up the north ridge but I dont fancy that standard steep route so the Sandy Corrie?

Has anyone gone up from Harris or down as it looks more inviting to me and could tie in with an overnight camp on the lovely beach..

Thanks
Attachments
Harris beach.jpg
Sandy corrie.jpg
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Re: Isle of Rum Sandy Corrie

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:12 pm

lochlaggan wrote:Has anyone gone up from Harris or down as it looks more inviting to me and could tie in with an overnight camp on the lovely beach..

Last year I met a group of walkers on Trollabhal. They were led by a guide who was with Steven Fallon’s group. They were then going over Ainshval then over Sgurr nan Gilean to get back to their tents at Harris. They had an online blog (note the "young chap" wasn't me).
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Isle of Rum Sandy Corrie

Postby lochlaggan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks Rockhopper but it wasn't Sandy Corrie the way they came down.

Still and interesting link though.

Cheers

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion