walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

White month circuit.

White month circuit.

Postby Outnabout » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Looking to do the white mounth circuit Saturday, will be driving up Friday night and sleeping in the car, any suggestions on where to park up? Also perhaps somewhere to get a bite to eat Friday night as its a 4 hour drive up, some good warm food would go along way for Saturdays hike. Taking the dog with me too how's the ground conditions regarding his feet as the big bookil was sore on him, if needed will get him boots.

Cheers
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: White month circuit.

Postby KatTai » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm

If your dog may need boots they need time to get used to wearing them and to make sure they aren't rubbing or causing sores, they aren't something that can be just put on especially for a long distance. If you suspect your dog may have problems I would rethink taking them as once on the round there are no shortcuts and it would be a long, painful walk back for your dog.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby CraigReid » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Plenty of places in Ballater for food, the Glenaden Hotel is dog friendly so it would be your best bet if you wanted to sit in somewhere. Lots of takeaways around if you dont.

I seen someone park basically 1 minute drive from the main car park https://goo.gl/maps/wvUpphTq3N1AQaVFA which avoids the parking charges, otherwise you could just park at Ballater and drive the last strech in the morning.

Seems like the snow has cleared right now but it looks like a cold week coming so I would expect snow and ice by the end of the week.
CraigReid
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:3

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Met office is showing snow in the afternoon.
I'd park at the white mounth car park and stick my money in the machine in the morning.
If I was doing this circuit again I'd go back on a clear day with more daylight hours.
Dont know enough about dogs, their feet and their boots to comment.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Outnabout » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:41 pm

KatTai wrote:If your dog may need boots they need time to get used to wearing them and to make sure they aren't rubbing or causing sores, they aren't something that can be just put on especially for a long distance. If you suspect your dog may have problems I would rethink taking them as once on the round there are no shortcuts and it would be a long, painful walk back for your dog.

The bookil was only sore on him as he was tethered as he is brainless near water having been swept over a 20ft waterfall on a previous hike, boots I could get next day from amazon and let him wear them for the rest of the week.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Coop wrote:Met office is showing snow in the afternoon.
I'd park at the white mounth car park and stick my money in the machine in the morning.
If I was doing this circuit again I'd go back on a clear day with more daylight hours.
Dont know enough about dogs, their feet and their boots to comment.

Strange on the met it says very good visibility up until 3pm at lochnagar on Saturday.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Outnabout » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Coop wrote:https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfjsn0txh#2019-11-09

All the best.

Your correct I was looking at Ballater.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby KatTai » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Outnabout wrote:The bookil was only sore on him as he was tethered as he is brainless near water having been swept over a 20ft waterfall on a previous hike, boots I could get next day from amazon and let him wear them for the rest of the week.

It takes more than a few days for a dog to get used to wearing boots and to ensure they aren't causing problems or changing the dogs gait. It needs building up slowly so just wearing them for short periods building up to longer distances and more difficult terrain over several weeks. If the reason for the previous problem was a one-off and he is usually comfortable with icy terrain and long distances then he shouldn't have a problem but if any doubt it is safer to leave him home.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Long walk

Short days

I'd maybe re think.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Outnabout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 am

He is quite a Hardy dog the boots would only have been used on really rough ground.

You don't think being on the hill for 6am at the latest gives enough time for the route
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am

6am would be more than enough time for the round providing decent visibility etc. I went round in 6 hours a few weeks ago at a fairly brisk (but not running) pace.
Not convinced the current forecast would convince me to actually go out and do the circuit though.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Outnabout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 am

prog99 wrote:6am would be more than enough time for the round providing decent visibility etc. I went round in 6 hours a few weeks ago at a fairly brisk (but not running) pace.
Not convinced the current forecast would convince me to actually go out and do the circuit though.

If the weather is not great I will look at other routes, really do fancy a route in the cairngorms tho
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Met Office says snow around 3 but if you get started early enough you'd hope to be finished or at least well on your way back by then. The route up to Lochnagar is really good, so you should be able to start this in the dark without too much bother (head torch though obviously) If you're off Broad Cairn a couple of hours before this you'll be ok as the path back is pretty good - i was last on it 2 years ago and they were improving it so it should be much better now.
Would say though, and I apply this to any route - if you're unsure, don't go. There's other walks round there that are easier and shorter and you can tick off a number of munro's.
The routes on either side of the Glenshee ski centre (Cairnwell etc are pretty good and a good bit shorter)

Can't suggest anything for your doggo though!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Outnabout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:02 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:Met Office says snow around 3 but if you get started early enough you'd hope to be finished or at least well on your way back by then. The route up to Lochnagar is really good, so you should be able to start this in the dark without too much bother (head torch though obviously) If you're off Broad Cairn a couple of hours before this you'll be ok as the path back is pretty good - i was last on it 2 years ago and they were improving it so it should be much better now.
Would say though, and I apply this to any route - if you're unsure, don't go. There's other walks round there that are easier and shorter and you can tick off a number of munro's.
The routes on either side of the Glenshee ski centre (Cairnwell etc are pretty good and a good bit shorter)

Can't suggest anything for your doggo though!

Considering both routes at cairnwell if the weather ain't in our favour will do one of those and leave lochnagar ones for a better day.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion