walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie

Bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie

Postby demdyke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Hiya.
A few years ago I cycled route 7 and passed a bunkhouse on the right (going north) on the main street in Dalwhinnie. I'm thinking of doing some winter Munro bagging up there and I wondered if the bunkhouse is still open. If so does anyone have the address/telephone. If not can anyone advise me on inexpensive accommodation, open in the winter, in or near the village? Cheers.
demdyke

Re: Bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie

Postby prog99 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Fairly certain it looked shut a few weeks ago.
Newton more has two hostels or if you are an mcofs or bmc member then the smc have raeburns hut nearby.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm

This site doesn't list a hostel in Dalwhinnie, but there are more elsewhere: https://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:01 pm

I've looked into accommodation in Dalwhinnie before, there is nothing other than Balsporran cottages. There used to be a hotel back in the 90's when I used to go to Scotland with my parents, we used to stop there for a drink, but it doesn't exist now.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm

The big old hotel on the A9 side of the village is open. Was in there about this time last year for coffee and cake before the walk in to Loch Pattack and it seemed to be open just a few days ago when I last came through the village. There used to be a bunkhouse attached to the wee place on the right hand side of the road down to the station (Tollhouse I think it was called) but it has looked well shut down any time I have been there recently. Other than that, Dalwhinnie is like the Twilight Zone. Even the public lavs have been locked up for ages. :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 pm

One hostel in Newtonmore is part owned by at least one keen walker Ali Ogden who frequently does the TGO challenge

http://newtonmorehostel.co.uk/aboutus.html
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 am

The bunkhouse in Dalwhinnie has closed.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Dave Hewitt » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:50 am

Changed days. When I had a few days in very warm spring weather going round the Drumochter Munros in April 1984, on the last evening I camped - with permission - on the lawn of the Grampian Hotel in Dalwhinnie. There are some pictures of this rather fine building here:
http://exceptthekylesandwesternisles.blogspot.com/2011/07/grampian-hotel-dalwhinnie.html

Dalwhinnie also used to have what was arguably the best transport cafe in the Highlands.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:15 pm

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby demdyke » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks everybody for your twopenny worth. Dalwhinnie used to be twinned with Las Vegas. Now it's just a shit-hole.
demdyke

Postby al78 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 pm

A bit harsh, it's just a very tiny settlement in a vast landscape. It is not surprising there are minimal facilities there, there is no reason for tourists to stay there, the villages north and south along the A9 are much better to use as bases. It is a bit like when I walked the Minigaig and arrived at Kingussie around mid afternoon on a Sunday, the place looked like a ghost town, it was challenging to kill six hours before boarding the sleeper.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby demdyke » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Only a 'bit' harsh though. It is on a major international cycling route (route 7, and is shortly to get a major upgrade over that particular section).When I cycled the route in 2009 and then in 2017 did a cycling tour of the Cairngorms there were two such stops in Dalwhinnie - both of them with lots of cyclists coming and going. Now there is nothing. No shops, no working public lavatories, not even forms to sit on and have a picnic. I also remember that there was a small cafe, but am informed that this also has gone. Still, the distillery remains - surely an essential stop to aid recovery from the shock.of modern Dalwhinnie. :lol:
demdyke

Postby magicdin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 pm

demdyke wrote:Thanks everybody for your twopenny worth. Dalwhinnie used to be twinned with Las Vegas. Now it's just a shit-hole.

Cannae comment, never been to Vegas :wink:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby prog99 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 pm

demdyke wrote:I also remember that there was a small cafe, but am informed that this also has gone. Still, the distillery remains - surely an essential stop to aid recovery from the shock.of modern Dalwhinnie. :lol:

The cafe reopened quite a few years ago and seems to be doing well. There’s a shop at the filing station.
Don’t rate the distillery though, I’ve visited a lot and it’s probably my least favourite.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Don't forget the Loch Ericht in Dalwhinnie is open for food and bed,no idea what it is like for staying but the food was ok.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion