walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lake District Congestion Charging

Re: Lake District Congestion Charging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Re parking charges-Universities in Scotland charge employees for parking spaces and this goes to the universities,with the government proposals the universities will lose this money and the money goes to councils and once again education is hit with a shortfall of money.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:00 pm

MODERATION NOTE: This topic is starting to drift away from the outdoors into wider political issues. Especially given there is an election on, can we keep further posts strictly to topics directly relevant to the Scottish outdoors (which includes parking and access for walks)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby goth_angel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:58 pm

I go to the Lake District a lot since for various reasons I had to pretty much give up Munro bagging. I find the public transport generally to be pretty good and use it a lot - but there are certain areas particularly the Western lake district which are very difficult to access without a car.

I agree the car parking can be expensive - though generally less so than the current charges at Arrochar - and there is free parking if you know where to look. I would be against the idea of a congestion charge - I don't think it would work, and would stop people going there at busy times of the year (though I guess that might be the intention).

Personally, I think that if there were some additional bus services even just at weekends that cover the more isolated areas they would get used and would ease congestion. For instance a minibus service to Wasdale Head - I'd definitely use that, and if they can run a minibus over Honister Pass and through Buttermere it would be logistically possible.

Seathwaite needs a car park of some sort as the parking situation there is ridiculous.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby crfishwick » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:44 pm

The lakes. Parrking charges have been a RIP off since the 1980's
As for congestion charges. Hopefully it will be in place. Then I may return. :D
crfishwick

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion