walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Alltbeithe to Maol-Bhuidhe

Alltbeithe to Maol-Bhuidhe

Postby Sjiep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi,

looking at walking this stretch (not in winter) but want to bypass the Falls of Glomach (did them before) and looking to go north at Loch a' Bhealaich towards Loch Lon Mhurchaidh and descending to Carnach along the Allt Coire Easaich or Allt Tarsuinn. Seems I would have to ford the Allt Thuis Easaich or Abhaim Gaorsaic and Allt Coire-lochain if going this way though, and possibly traipsing through very boggy, pathless terrain.

Is this stretch recommend or even doable with a relatively big backpack? Thnx for tips and tricks and all.
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: Alltbeithe to Maol-Bhuidhe

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:36 pm

If I understand you correctly I did something along those lines during my CWT, using the bridge at the iron lodge. (Check out the walk report for details). Regular highland boggyness, not extreme. I would not want to ford the river at the iron lodge, though.

Be aware of the opening times of the hostel at Alltbeithe if you consider using it.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby whiteburn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am

I've descended the path following the Allt Coire Easaich to the bridge at Carnach previously, coming from Affric; no real issues, but the path down is a bit steep & loose in places.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby crfishwick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:02 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I

Be aware of the opening times of the hostel at Alltbeithe if you consider using it.

Surely they still leave the rear extension open in the closed season or Winter months? Or has that been kicked into touch nowadays! As I haven't been there for a considerable time.
crfishwick

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Surely they still leave the rear extension open in the closed season or Winter months? Or has that been kicked into touch nowadays! As I haven't been there for a considerable time.

I don't know. I suspect that the caretaker changed in the meantime, but I might be mistaken. On my CWT I didn't check and I was lucky that it was still open. Now I am telling people to check if I think they might just take it for granted that it is open. Some said "thank you". There is also the Camban Bothy nearby. So, even if they close the rear extension, it's not a life threatening situation, but some mental preparation might come in handy. :D
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Guinessman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:29 pm

walkingpoles wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

I don't know. I suspect that the caretaker changed in the meantime, but I might be mistaken. On my CWT I didn't check and I was lucky that it was still open. Now I am telling people to check if I think they might just take it for granted that it is open. Some said "thank you". There is also the Camban Bothy nearby. So, even if they close the rear extension, it's not a life threatening situation, but some mental preparation might come in handy. :D
crfishwick wrote:
walkingpoles wrote:I

It was left open last October when I used it overnight on the Affric Kintail way. Not seen anything on the SYHA pages to state otherwise
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Essan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Don't think Alltbeithe was ever advertised as open (even when the main building was) as they'd not want to encourage folk to use it in the closed season - more a case of leaving the rear dorm open for emergency.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby crfishwick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Essan wrote:Don't think Alltbeithe was ever advertised as open (even when the main building was) as they'd not want to encourage folk to use it in the closed season - more a case of leaving the rear dorm open for emergency.

Nobody said it was advertised. I well remember this bothy for over 50 years. That was the intention back then for emergency. But still widely known in the climbing fraternity
crfishwick

Postby Sjiep » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 am

So what are its official closing days? As mentioned by someone else, the SYHA websites says nothing about these.
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 am

Sjiep wrote:So what are its official closing days? As mentioned by someone else, the SYHA websites says nothing about these.
haven't checked but I generally find its the weekend the clocks change
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:11 am

Just remember that the rear extension is a emergency shelter and that's what it should be used for,otherwise it could end up getting shut down if it's getting abused.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am

Sjiep wrote:So what are its official closing days? As mentioned by someone else, the SYHA websites says nothing about these.

From checking availability in the booking system, it looks like the 2020 opening dates are 9th April to 19th September.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Just remember that the rear extension is a emergency shelter and that's what it should be used for,otherwise it could end up getting shut down if it's getting abused.

Not many will use it in Winter. I think abuse would be from Summer "tourists" if they did lock it up probably it would be broken into!

Originally the hostel was left open before the annex was built! Until it was vandalised by "tourists " who arrived before it officially opened. That used to be in late May to August.
crfishwick

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion