walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Narnain van The Cobbler?

Re: Ben Narnain van The Cobbler?

Postby davekeiller » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Are the daylight hours still long enough to get up and down before it gets dark?
Weather forecast looks good, but I'm a bit concerned that you don't seem to own the relevant OS map, or if you do that you can't recognise the path on it.
Most people use OS landranger maps in Scotland because the Explorer maps take up 4 times as much paper and sometimes the detail obscures the picture. Harveys maps are also popular, and for good reason.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 am

Yes, darkness comes in quick so a quality head torch, with spare Energizer Ultimate batteries (cold-weather resistant), should be mandatory.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby DavidShepherd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 pm

sc00ba87 wrote:
I think I’ll likely be the same as yourself and just need to gain experience as I go. Going to climb Ben Narnain via The Cobbler (a friend seen some photos of the climb 2 weeks ago and wants to join climb it, so may as well go for two) on Saturday morning, then my last climb for the year will be Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan Ridge in a fortnights time.

Maybe see you on top of one at some point or another..... If I can successfully navigate these comment sections until then.

I just had a look on the os maps site and i think it shows the path you're thinking of: https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/56.21323,-4.79946,16
If you check the path that comes up from the car park and then cuts up the steps from Coire a'Bhalachain you can see it cut off to the north before it hits the Cobbler. Takes you down and then round on to the path up Beinn Ime before cutting off for Ben Narnain. Good path all the way up, bit loose and steep on a couple of occasions and some big boulders to climb over. Good walk regardless.

Fair chance I'll be up Ben Lomond at some point in the winter, it's my go to peak during the christmas/new year period when i just want to get out but can't be bothered driving for hours or staying overnight somewhere.

One bit of advice for the Ptarmigan Ridge that I've learned through experiencing it : if it's been icy or snowing at all in the lead up to your climb, take crampons. It's exceptionally difficult and dangerous without them given its steepness, especially if you're going back down that way.
Enjoy!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Raynor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 am

Well hopefully it all went well.......

The area between the cobbler, Ime and narnain is notorious for people getting lost in winter. I know people that went up the cobbler in a group led by highly experienced mountaineers and they all came close to needing mountain rescue as they got totally lost in a freak whiteout. I also know of someone who died a few years ago across the road on beinn an lochain during winter conditions. His body was only found by chance by the helicopter that was already out searching for other lost walkers. The risks are very real, even for experienced walkers with proper gear.

You have appeared on here and stated you have no experience and implied you don't even have a map or the knowledge or where to look online to see if there is a path. You've got some cheek to have a go at people that were worried about your safety. I have got lost myself on these hills in bad weather despite having been up all of them multiple times and knowing all the paths. Just something to think about perhaps.....
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion