walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tourist Tax?

Re: Tourist Tax?

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:37 am

My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just keen to keep threads like this on topic, especially at election time!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 pm

...is there an election taking place? I should really go out less :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby madprof » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:13 pm

crfishwick wrote:Highlands & Islands

"Wild campers visiting the Highlands could face tourist tax."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50670896#

How are they going to implemented it? I am sure the powers that be are rather stupid to say the least. :lol:

Number plate recognition won't help for those arriving by train or by air. "Sensor technology" is meaningless garbage. I'll say it now - there is no way they will be able to work out it was you in the Highlands through your phone reporting on your position.

The surcharge put on facilities seems more practical but I imagine this will raise very little. They'll be looking to add a surcharge onto places to stay, I bet. Cue much anguish in the hospitality industry!

Blue sky thinking: install ANPR cameras along the road up the Bealach Na Ba and charge according to the BHP of each car (as per spec sheet) going up it. 50p per every BHP over 300. The ones in Ferraris and Porsche GTs can afford it.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby RocksRock » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Do I get a rebate for sitting in my sensible smaller car waiting at the top for a long stream of tourist motorbikers to ride up the middle of the road, dismount part way up and take many photties while oblivious to us all waiting...................happened last time I was over that way :crazy: !
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:53 pm

It would be an easy tax to collect in Skye. Just put a £20 toll on the bridge. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby crfishwick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:It would be an easy tax to collect in Skye. Just put a £20 toll on the bridge. :wink:

Would not bother me! Never used it. Although been there over 30 times since built. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Paul Webster wrote:My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just keen to keep threads like this on topic, especially at election time!

Thankfully over tomorrow although this tourist tax idea will not be! No matter what your political persuasion.
crfishwick

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:59 am

Moriarty wrote:
Given the dog's breakfast described I'd be more inclined to speculate that, in order to make the proposal more popular (or less criticised in consultation) someone tried to come up with some proposals that would look like the levy would also cover campervans and roadside campers.

Targeting those locally unpopular groups would increase the popularity of the proposal. The lack of coherent detail suggests it would probably be discarded in application.

I agree but would like to add that alongside discarding the pursuit of "wild campers" they will probably discard the bit where they say highland residents will be exempt from the tax.

Highland council got a good bit of support from residents for the tax known as the TVL (transient visitor levy), probably because the proposal suggests highland residents will be exempt from the tax. The council says it hopes to apply the tax to camper vans that are wild camping and to visitors getting off cruise ships also.
As a highland resident myself I would say to others that they should be careful what they wish for. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:54 pm

The only way it can be administered will be similar to overseas, as essentially a bed night tax per head on paid accommodation, whether that be hostels, B&B, formal campsites, or hotels, and possibly on rental of a campervan from a Scottish based firm. There won't be an exemption if your a Highland resident, as it would be too complicated to administer; how would a B&B owner actually check your a highland resident, are the council going to give us all 'resident' ID (at great expense, negating a huge chunk of the revenue generated...or are Highland residents going to have to apply and be charged for our ID, generating further revenue), or do we all show our Library cards???

Using a Vehicle Number plate system won't happened, as that would mean every hotel and B&B would have to input your licence plate to a central database every night, the database would then have to find the cars that had entered the highlands but not exited everyday (needing every authority boundary cross-point to have a camera), filter out all the registrations belonging to locals via the DVLA, and link with the DVLA to get the addresses of the 'missing' cars/campers......assuming the DVLA would be authorised to share the info. Charge letters would have to be issued, but visitors could just say...'I was staying with friends'...result enforcement collapses. Foreign plates would cause even greater problems as they are currently let-off many speeding offences as they are too hard to chase in a overseas jurisdictions.......system collapses, and would be prohibitively too expense to run.

A phone tracking system....in the highlands, your having a 'laugh' before we get to the privacy implications...

Roadside stop-over campervans and motorhomes will be increasingly considered venue sources, but that would require changes in the road traffic law (with safety implications) regarding layby stop-overs to allow overnight charging, then some form of quick-link code at the layby linking to a honesty payment system would have to introduced (as some crofters do for campers on common grazings), assumes a mobile signal, and also requires 'policing'.....alternatively the council will have to install pay and display everywhere. Again Highland residents are unlikely to escape...

Wildcampers...away from their cars, or without a car...forget it.

The ultimate result, assuming overnight parking charging isn't introduced, will be further animosity as Highlanders are likely end up paying taxes to stay in their own area, but will see campervan tourists many causing congestion, driving badly, parking up inconsiderately, littering, emptying grey waste (or worse) irresponsibly, and contributing very little to the local economy and not paying the bed night tax, but getting bed night revenue spent on them to try and mitigate the problems they create.

We will see continued exasperation from landowners and locals alike at the Ned like behaviour of some groups camping near or by the road....and who can blame them. Leading calls to modify the land reform act, and this will be just the what the SLE and right wing landowners want, as they can help support the local campaigns hoping with crocodile tears to get true wild camping banned as well.
Scraggygoat

Postby KeithS » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Hmm. I am in a difficult position with this one as I have a foot in both camps.

I spend nearly half my time in Scotland and actually pay higher rates here than in England. My house is on the NC500 so I am well aware of both the advantages, and disadvantages, of the influx of tourists, whether they be responsible or not.

I do own a van conversion and usually when I am in Scotland this is the only vehicle I have available to use. As my house is in the remote highlands the nearest decent sized supermarket available to me is in Ullapool so I have to take the van to get there to do my weekly shop, or for any other local trips.

Does this mean that I will have to pay some sort of motorhome tax to go shopping, or other things such as going out for meals or other things which do support the local area?

I don’t deny that I do also use the van for its purpose as a camper and that I do wild camp when doing so, although when using the van to travel from England to Scotland or back, I have my favourite pubs to stop at, with permission of course. Having often been stuck behind irresponsible motorhome drivers I am very careful to always allow faster motorists to pass as soon as is safely possible.

I would consider myself as a responsible ‘campervanner’. I try to follow the mantra; ‘take only pictures, leave only footprints’, although even that has erosion implications! My trips are usually only of a few days duration so all my grey waste, litter and, more importantly, toilet waste, ends up back at my home and is disposed of using facilities I pay for under my rates.

The point I am making is: how could this be practically or fairly implemented?
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:The only way it can be administered will be similar to overseas, as essentially a bed night tax per head on paid accommodation, whether that be hostels, B&B, formal campsites, or hotels, and possibly on rental of a campervan from a Scottish based firm. There won't be an exemption if your a Highland resident, as it would be too complicated to administer; how would a B&B owner actually check your a highland resident, are the council going to give us all 'resident' ID (at great expense, negating a huge chunk of the revenue generated...or are Highland residents going to have to apply and be charged for our ID, generating further revenue), or do we all show our Library cards???

Yes I think it will be run similar to the way it is overseas and it's very likely the highland council will try their best to renege on the promise that highland residents will be exempt. I dont think it should be too complicated in the main to ID highland residents. It's easy to match a debit / credit card to an address these days and that is the most common way of payment for hotels. Maybe the deal will be if you are a highland resident and pay for your hotel/campsite by card you are exempt. If you pay by cash, you pay the tourist tax, but then again if you pay by cash it may not even go through the books. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion