walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tourist Tax?

Tourist Tax?

Postby crfishwick » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Highlands & Islands

"Wild campers visiting the Highlands could face tourist tax."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50670896#

How are they going to implemented it? I am sure the powers that be are rather stupid to say the least. :lol:
crfishwick

Re: Tourist Tax?

Postby al78 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 am

It is not clear whether this tax is specifically targetted at wild campers who don't use official sites, or whether is covers all tourists (the title implies the former, the first bold sentence under the photo suggests the latter). I'm not sure how they could enforce it against someone like me who visits Scotland using only public transport, are they somehow going to track me via my phone?

I'm guessing their thinking is that tourist facilities require money for upkeep, tourists using paid facilities and accommmodation contribute to that indirectly, but wild campers don't as wild camping is free, but they may still use a public facility at some point.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby crfishwick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:33 am

Reading it again still does not make sense! How will they know who is a tourist or Scottish citizen.?
BTW
I nowadays only use public transport to Scotland.
So if this tourist "tax" will not be paid by me! You already get ripped off as it is. :lol: :lol:

Unenforceable IMHO.
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:25 am

crfishwick wrote:Reading it again still does not make sense! How will they know who is a tourist or Scottish citizen.?
BTW
I nowadays only use public transport to Scotland.
So if this tourist "tax" will not be paid by me! You already get ripped off as it is. :lol: :lol:

Unenforceable IMHO.

It will not matter if your Scottish or not as a tourist is anyone who visits another area outside of where they live,whither it's a day trip or a week long trip.

It will only apply to anyone who has a vehicle registration,and linking wildcamping with motorhomes is totally distorting things,motorhomes has never been wildcamping.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:26 am

Utterly preposterous 'proposal'. Totally unenforceable. Likely some local politician sounding off to raise their own profile.

Also, lazy journalism by the BBC. Pretty embarrassing all round.

File under under 'silly season' and Bin. :roll:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Sounds positively Orwellian. Is there no escape from 'Big Brother'? If they're going to track people via their mobile phones I'll make sure mine's switched off.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby crfishwick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Utterly preposterous 'proposal'. Totally unenforceable. Likely some local politician sounding off to raise their own profile.

Also, lazy journalism by the BBC. Pretty embarrassing all round.

File under under 'silly season' and Bin. :roll:

I agree with all your comments. The mind boggles. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby CharlesT » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 pm

As tourism is by far the most important industry in the Highland region it seems odd to put any part of this at risk for what may be a small return and administrative headache.

Though there does appear to be a lot of support for taxing motorhomes more. Can't disagree with that after my frustrations with same on the narrow roads of Assynt. 🤔
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby crfishwick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:51 pm

CharlesT wrote: Can't disagree with that after my frustrations with same on the narrow roads of Assynt. 🤔

I'd blame this on the NC500. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Essan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:45 pm

dav2930 wrote:Sounds positively Orwellian. Is there no escape from 'Big Brother'? If they're going to track people via their mobile phones I'll make sure mine's switched off.

When wild camping there's rarely a signal anyway!

But the headline is very misleading. The main point being: " Highland Council said wild campers could be asked to pay a levy at a point where they do use any public tourist facilities. " so they we also contribute, as well those who stay in B&Bs, camper vans and on camp sites etc.

Though unless you need to show ID and prove your address before using the toilet at Fort William station, I'm not quite sure how they determine if you are a tourist? :lol:
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:42 pm

As it probably does not involve 'face recognition' technology for backpackers I assume it applies to 'number plate recognition' for the growing nuisance of camper vans - I have heard several times said camper van people referring to their 'wild camping' and erm let me see now - where do they dump their waste grey' water??!!

grrrrr
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby crfishwick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:As it probably does not involve 'face recognition' technology for backpackers I assume it applies to 'number plate recognition' for the growing nuisance of camper vans - I have heard several times said camper van people referring to their 'wild camping' and erm let me see now - where do they dump their waste grey' water??!!

grrrrr

I wild camp plus over the years used a small camper van as well. Not all are irresponsible :lol:

Now for motorhomes! That's the bain nowadays.

Grrrr :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Landsoul » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Tax anyone that's not from Scotland and hopefully less foreigners visit, can only be a good thing for the environment, which is more important than local economies. Imho
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby crfishwick » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:38 am

Landsoul wrote:Tax anyone that's not from Scotland and hopefully less foreigners visit, can only be a good thing for the environment, which is more important than local economies. Imho

Tongue in cheek! Hopefully. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby al78 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:It will only apply to anyone who has a vehicle registration,and linking wildcamping with motorhomes is totally distorting things,motorhomes has never been wildcamping.

It may mean motorhomes that get parked in a layby in a very remote area and the occupants sleep there, rather than staying at an official site. In that sense it is similar to wild camping.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion