walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kingshouse bunkhouse.. open? But what like?

Kingshouse bunkhouse.. open? But what like?

Postby rgf101 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Last discussion I could see was lamenting the fact the Kinghouse bunkhouse was closed. It's now showing as open, with beds bookable at a punchy £35, sans brekkie. But I like to do some combination of Bridge of Orchy to FW along the WHW at this time of year, so contemplating a stay.

Anyone stayed there and have any comment? Some of their own website copy isn't inspiring (concrete floors! Bring warm socks!) I can stop here and do a big 25-miler to FW the following day, or carry on to Kinlochleven, although that'd probably mean doing more of that stretch in the dark than I'd like.

And I looked at the hotel prices - minimum stay two nights? What on earth is that about...
rgf101

Re: Kingshouse bunkhouse.. open? But what like?

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:53 pm

It's... fine. Although I was there on a summer night so warm that cold floors would have been a relief!

The beds are offset so you don't have someone right above your head, there's individual lights, and plenty of space for putting luggage at the end of the lower bed. Decent showers. The reception folk were really nice - I thought they might be a bit snooty with bunkhouse people. My toothbrush vanished while I was there - I think I must have left it in the bathroom and the cleaner threw it out - and they gave me a complimentary hotel guest one.

My main complaint was that breakfast was £10 take it or leave it, although their website still says they do bacon rolls etc, which is a lie. The second day I wandered up to the ski centre. I also got locked out in the middle of the night, but that was more a chapter of accidents than anything they'd done!

£35 is fairly standard for the YHA hostels, which are not necessarily any better...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby prog99 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm

£35 for a bed , that’s way more than a syha hostel. You can sometimes get a twin for not much more.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Glengavel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Regarding the minimum two night stay, Lady G and her three pals had booked one night in the bunkhouse mid-week early in October. On the day, they arrived soaked through and by mutual agreement promptly upgraded to a pair of twin rooms in the hotel without any bother. Of course, the hotel probably wasn't fully booked and were happy to oblige.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:58 pm

The bunkhouse you can book a bed for one night it's the hotel that is a minimum 2 nights.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:01 pm

I've stayed in the bunkhouse twice and been more than happy twice. Got breakfast in the hotel once and sorted my own on the second time. Stayed there last a few weeks ago for getting in to Glen Etive
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby rgf101 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks, folks. Sounds like it's worth a try, at least, and I can get an early start for a long day up to FW. And will be leaving before breakfast hours, so that's not an issue.

£35 for a bed , that’s way more than a syha hostel. You can sometimes get a twin for not much more.

Yeah, it stings a bit, especially when this time of year places like the Alexandra in FW can be under £50* for an en suite with breakfast. But the Alexandra is in FW, with all the other hotels, and the Kingshouse... isn't.

*Actually, checking my records, I had a November stay at the Alex for £35.70 last year. Can't remember if I got brekkie, though.
rgf101

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:48 pm

I stayed during the summer and the heat was unbearable in the rooms. Beds were ok.

Kitchen had less facilities than most Hostels.

Washing and drying were free. Free drying room.

Showers were quite standard when comparing to most hostels.

Hotel itself was great. Choice of 3 bars/dining areas. Food was good. Prices were above average but not scandalous (when considering location)

Staff were nice and helpful.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm

I stayed in the hotel earlier in the year when I was doing the WH Way.
Booked one night so not sure where people are getting a minimum two from.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby crfishwick » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 pm

prog99 wrote:£35 for a bed , that’s way more than a syha hostel. You can sometimes get a twin for not much more.

Exactly! The previous poster who stated it's the norm for an SYHA is a bit out!
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 am

Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:I stayed in the hotel earlier in the year when I was doing the WH Way.

Website will only allow you to book hotel room for 2 nights
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:14 am

I forgot to mention.......

Yes, floors felt very concrete. Strangely basic feeling.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:Website will only allow you to book hotel room for 2 nights

Yeah, that's what I was seeing. Which makes no sense if you're on the WHW. Not sure how firmly they stick to that if you phone or turn up, I'd imagine it depends on how busy they are / expect to be.

Waiting to see how work and weather pan out for later in the week before deciding what I'm doing.
rgf101

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:I stayed in the hotel earlier in the year when I was doing the WH Way.

That maybe due to how the website is setup. Most of these place use a third party site.
If you delve further you can actually change the dates so only one can be booked Done it a few times although not Kinghouse.

Addendum: Just checked and could book just for a night in Feb 2020! :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:37 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:

That maybe due to how the website is setup. Most of these place use a third party site.
If you delve further you can actually change the dates so only one can be booked Done it a few times although not Kinghouse.

Addendum: Just checked and could book just for a night in Feb 2020! :lol: :lol:

Kingshouse hotel website entered Tues 11th Feb 2020 for one night,not available,entered same date for 2 nights,available.
3rd party site exact same thing.
I think they want the riff-raff of the WHW to stay in the bunkhouse.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion