walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath Ultra Run

Cape Wrath Ultra Run

Postby Sjiep » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Hello,

how bad is the CW Trail after the Ultra gang has stampeded through? Does it turn the trail into a massive mudfest that it makes it a lot more difficult to walk it? Only just noticed that my dates are somewhat overlapping with the dates for this 2020 run :\
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: Cape Wrath Ultra Run

Postby Outnabout » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I wouldn't think it would be too bad as it isn't like a conventional marathon or race, competitors will be more spaced out lots of walking in ultras too. Sections where the aid station will see the most traffic and be worst affected I imagine.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:30 pm

I can't imagine it's a big problem: there's fewer than 150 entrants and they won't all take exactly the same line on a lot of the route.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Cape Wrath Trail is a mudbath anyway.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm

my best trail ever - btw the word 'wrath' apparently refers to 'turning point' whereby the vikings turned left down for rich pickings...
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:51 am

Kevin29035 wrote:Cape Wrath Trail is a mudbath anyway.

???
Have you completed it? A mud bath utterly wrong. Only in a few places :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:54 am

It is a very long way and I dare say it will be muddy in places but my recollection is not of a mud bath. Just a brilliant walk through magnificent scenery.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby crfishwick » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:05 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:It is a very long way and I dare say it will be muddy in places but my recollection is not of a mud bath. Just a brilliant walk through magnificent scenery.

Perfectly said. As for the route being eroded by a run, impossible Considering the terrain.
Hopefully the route will never be way marked!

Unfortunately the SNT has! Never walked by the originator.
A bloody Hack :clap:
crfishwick

Postby al78 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:59 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:It is a very long way and I dare say it will be muddy in places but my recollection is not of a mud bath. Just a brilliant walk through magnificent scenery.

I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, this would be on it. I don't think my fitness and skills are up to the job at the moment, I could manage up to Inverlael but beyond there it starts to get properly isolated where you really are on your own, and logistical challenges of how to keep stocked with food come into play. There is also the question of how to get back from Cape Wrath at the end, the minibus and ferry will get you to Durness, but is there a bus service available to go south? The other option is turn right and walk along the far north coast until you get to Thurso from where is a rail and bus service to Inverness.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sjiep » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 pm

al78 wrote:

I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, this would be on it. I don't think my fitness and skills are up to the job at the moment, I could manage up to Inverlael but beyond there it starts to get properly isolated where you really are on your own, and logistical challenges of how to keep stocked with food come into play. There is also the question of how to get back from Cape Wrath at the end, the minibus and ferry will get you to Durness, but is there a bus service available to go south? The other option is turn right and walk along the far north coast until you get to Thurso from where is a rail and bus service to Inverness.

Yes, there is a local bus service at Durness. http://www.thedurnessbus.com/durnessnew/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/806-Durness-.pdf. Brings you to Lairg from where you can hop on a train.

On my first trip into the Highlands I did the Ullapool to Cape Wrath stretch of the CWT. It was actually blisteringly hot those days with not a raindrop felt or seen. I was probably in my best shape since years during those days but yeah, it was pretty tough. Shortening some stages will help a lot here though. And if you can spare the money, it helps to have a decent breakfast/lunch/dinner or even bed at the Oykel Bridge Lodge, Inchnadamph Hotel or Old School Guesthouse.
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion