walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

1 of Yorkshire peaks

1 of Yorkshire peaks

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:36 am

Next year I am finally getting to walk one Yorkshire peak. This is with a brain injury group I go to. It has been a long running thing I’ve wanted to do for ages more detail in my post want to walk 3 Yorkshire peaks. The man who set the group up has walked all 3 Yorkshire peaks 3 tines and knows I want to but he’s not sure I’d manage them.

So now I need to make sure I manage the 1 peak as best I can. I’m not sure which peak we will be doing but I know it will be tough and I know I need to eat before setting off this time. I made that mistake last year at hope valley expecting it to be easy wasn’t hungry so didn’t eat. That is the reason the man had decided no more walks like that cos I had to sit down as I felt dizzy, I did complete that walk after eating but learnt from my mistake. Any tips would be appreciated.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Re: 1 of Yorkshire peaks

Postby Outnabout » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Can't run a car without fuel, same applies to your body.

Stay away from stimulants, coffee ect sometimes I find it blunts my appetite.

Find a pace your comfortable with and stick to it, maybe worth finding some local hills and get some hill fitness.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Unfortunately I don’t know many places near me with hills apart from a small area called Danes dyke which is like woods with small hills and steps so I have been going there a bit weather permitting. There is a bit with some very tough steps I’ve timed on an app how long it takes me going up them and how far they are and I can only get my speed up to 35 mins for a mile. The steps are only 0.04 of a mile which means I need to get up them in under 1 and half mins which I haven’t yet done so that is my main area to practice.im also jogging up hills in street for extra training.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Kmo86 wrote:Unfortunately I don’t know many places near me with hills apart from a small area called Danes dyke which is like woods with small hills and steps so I have been going there a bit weather permitting. There is a bit with some very tough steps I’ve timed on an app how long it takes me going up them and how far they are and I can only get my speed up to 35 mins for a mile. The steps are only 0.04 of a mile which means I need to get up them in under 1 and half mins which I haven’t yet done so that is my main area to practice.im also jogging up hills in street for extra training.

I know Danes Dyke (if you mean the one near Bridlington) and it does provide quite an up and down walk, with some steep steps.

I think if I was building up to one of the three peaks, I would do the Danes Dyke walk a few times, but not worry too much about speed.

Stamina is more important. You might want to try, for instance, the walk around Flamborough Head to Bempton Cliffs or the walk along the coast past Sewerby Hall. If you have transport, you could also try sections of the Yorkshire Wolds Way.

But if you are climbing just one of the three Peaks, then the walk will not be overly long anyway. Large sections of the 3 Peaks path have also been rebuilt.

So, I think you can look forward to it confidently.

The main things are to ensure you have warm and rainproof clothes, to have some food and something to drink at the start of the walk, and to take some food and water along with you.

I also suggest going slowly at the start, so as to conserve energy for the later stages.

Good luck! - I'm sure you will be successful.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Kmo86 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks will look into the other places you mentioned. Yea I do mean Danes dyke in Bridlington.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:33 pm

As above take your time and enjoy yourself, a few times I've tried to keep pace with quicker walkers than me and paid the price, don't enjoy much when your thighs cramp up constantly, now I go at my pace, not only do I enjoy it much more but can also see that the pace difference is closing.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm

As above, slow and steady. I carry things like flapjacks as well as normal sandwiches, as they're good energy snacks. Little and often, and make sure you drink plenty of water too. Have a good solid meal the night before so you're well fuelled (eg pasta) and a healthy and nutritious breakfast of your choice (cereal/muesli/porridge etc - this is the bit I struggle with when in the hills, as often I don't fancy much first thing).

When you leave the car, something like a banana can be nice to start with. Then just have a bite of a flapjack every now and then when you stop. If you're well fuelled the night before, you'll only need a bit and can leave the sarnies until a proper lunch stop. But take it steady, its really important to go at your own pace and any good leader will help this happen.

I would say that Pen-y-ghent from Dale Head on the SIlverdale road is the most straightforward (but still very scenic), and that Ingleborough via Crina Bottom is the most attractive. Whernside might be highest, but its a bit less interesting.

Most important of all, have fun and enjoy the day, try not to get worried about "having" to do it, just get a sense of satisfaction from being out in the hills. The summit is neither here nor there, just being out there is what its all about. Best of luck, you'll nail it I'm sure.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Kmo86 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. Actually I think taking something to keep eating on way is a good idea as I’m never that hungry in mornings and I learnt the hard way last year at hope valley which was a similar difficulty walk I felt dizzy and had to stop which is why there has been long gap between these walks. The man who planned the walk decided it was too much for me and wasn’t worth risking doing more. He has now had a year of me still mentioning wanting to do 3 Yorkshire peaks and how much training I’m doing so he’s obviously seen I am serious. As for which peak we will be doing I’ve no idea I know some people say that pent-y-gent is hardest even tho it’s smallest. I’ll talk with the man in new year and see if he’s decided which one and which he thinks is easiest to hardest. I think it could be case of which one would be quickest to get to as it’s like 2 hour drive.

As for speed I’m not too bothered but would like to do it within 3 and half hours as I’m thinking to complete 3 peaks in 12 hours that’s 4 hours each peak and you are going to be going slower towards the end so need to do first peak in under 4 hours. But with being with a group and likely we will stop to eat may not be possible the main thing is finish safely and
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Just remember it's not race and just go at your own pace and enjoy it,stamina is more important than pace.
One of the things is to snack and drink often on a walk,I drink about 2ltrs(water and fruit juice you can add some salt if you think you need it)on a 6hr walk.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Kmo86 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Going to go to Danes dyke and at least to practice the hardest steps a bit and if it’s dry do a few times round trying to keep to 3 mile in an hour. Also going to go Scarborough for day to practice hills there as in New Year I’m having meeting about one peak so showing I’ve been practicing can only do good.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Kmo86 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Has anyone walked any of Yorkshire peaks and Mam tor at hope valley? Just wondering how they compare are the Yorkshire peaks much harder when done individually? I know it’s around same distance walking and I know all Yorkshire peaks are quite a bit higher so I’m guessing the peaks will be harder.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Kmo86 wrote:Has anyone walked any of Yorkshire peaks and Mam tor at hope valley? Just wondering how they compare are the Yorkshire peaks much harder when done individually? I know it’s around same distance walking and I know all Yorkshire peaks are quite a bit higher so I’m guessing the peaks will be harder.

It depends where you start; Mam Tor from the nearest road is a much shorter climb, from lower down near Castleton or Edale the climb will be more similar to the Yorkshire Hills but is still less height gain which is the main thing.

Don't over think this. Almost anybody is capable of doing one of the Yorks 3 peaks, with a little general walking prep, if allowed to do it at their own pace (whatever that may be). The dizzy spell you had is probably a one off, if it isn't you should see a doc anyway. Build up slowly with local walks as you've mentioned, add a few more hilly ones. These are not massive peaks, you just need to be allowed to do them at your own pace and if your leader isn't comfortable with that, or doesn't see that, find somebody else more able to support you.

You can do this.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Kmo86 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for reply. The dizzy spell seemed to be cos I hadn’t eaten thankfully not happened since. I am probably thinking more into this cos I really want to do all 3 Yorkshire peaks sometime which the leader has said he would do if he thought I’d manage them. So I’m seeing this doing one peak as a way of showing I could manage all 3 so although I’m not overly bothered over how long it takes I would like to manage it in around 4 hours or less. Of course with a group for a day out it will likely take longer stopping to eat and not rushing.

I had planned to go to the Yorkshire peaks myself and test myself on one peak to see how long it took which could be part of the reason why the man has decided he will do one peak as he knows I want to do all 3 with him so going on my own would mean recording all I could so he could see how I got on which would be hard as I’d have to find my own way there and up and down a peak. At least this way I can just concentrate on getting up and down safely and see how long it takes and enjoy it.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Postby dav2930 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Kmo86 wrote:Has anyone walked any of Yorkshire peaks and Mam tor at hope valley? Just wondering how they compare are the Yorkshire peaks much harder when done individually? I know it’s around same distance walking and I know all Yorkshire peaks are quite a bit higher so I’m guessing the peaks will be harder.

I agree with Mal about this, both in answer to your specific questions and in his general advice. Any walking with some ascent will be beneficial; just keep doing it as often as possible, gradually increasing distance and ascent, and you'll find your fitness, stamina and speed will improve. Don't worry if you're not as fit or fast as you'd like to be at first; patient persistence will pay off.

Trying one of the Three Peaks on its own is a very good idea. I'd go further and suggest that, after doing one (say Pen-y-Ghent), if you find that doesn't stretch you too much, try the other two together in a day (i.e. Whernside and Ingleborough from Ribblehead). As well as helping to build up fitness and stamina, this will also get you familiarised with parts of the route. It's worth bearing in mind that doing all three is more than just the sum of doing one of them x 3. Pen-y-Ghent is a long way from the other two, so you also need to factor in that distance, as well as the long, gradual descent from Ingleborough back to Horton-in-Ribblesdale. The total distance for the three is about 24 miles, so it would be beneficial to gradually work up to that sort of distance in your local area, with or without hills to climb. See how long it takes you to walk 24 miles on the flat, then allow for how long you think it would take you ascend about 5200 feet - but of course that is looking very much ahead. One step at a time is the best approach and, as others rightly say, the main thing is to enjoy yourself at every stage in your preparation.

Best of luck. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Kmo86 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:48 pm

dav2930 wrote:

I agree with Mal about this, both in answer to your specific questions and in his general advice. Any walking with some ascent will be beneficial; just keep doing it as often as possible, gradually increasing distance and ascent, and you'll find your fitness, stamina and speed will improve. Don't worry if you're not as fit or fast as you'd like to be at first; patient persistence will pay off.

Trying one of the Three Peaks on its own is a very good idea. I'd go further and suggest that, after doing one (say Pen-y-Ghent), if you find that doesn't stretch you too much, try the other two together in a day (i.e. Whernside and Ingleborough from Ribblehead). As well as helping to build up fitness and stamina, this will also get you familiarised with parts of the route. It's worth bearing in mind that doing all three is more than just the sum of doing one of them x 3. Pen-y-Ghent is a long way from the other two, so you also need to factor in that distance, as well as the long, gradual descent from Ingleborough back to Horton-in-Ribblesdale. The total distance for the three is about 24 miles, so it would be beneficial to gradually work up to that sort of distance in your local area, with or without hills to climb. See how long it takes you to walk 24 miles on the flat, then allow for how long you think it would take you ascend about 5200 feet - but of course that is looking very much ahead. One step at a time is the best approach and, as others rightly say, the main thing is to enjoy yourself at every stage in your preparation.

Best of luck. :)

I am definitely open to doing more than one peak if possible that day, but I know it’s not something the leader would actually admit to be willing to do as he knows if I know there is chance of doing more than one peak I will be pushing myself to do more than one. Having said that I think it may be something he would consider at the time as he has added distance on a previous short walk based on everyone managing ok.
Kmo86
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion