walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis - answering the call of nature

Ben Nevis - answering the call of nature

Postby denfinella » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 am

One thing I've often* wondered about the Ben Nevis "tourist" path in peak season is - what do you do when you need a wee? :lol:

I've occasionally found it difficult to find a quiet spot on other fairly popular hills (Ben Lomond in particular), even outside the holidays, so Ben Nevis on a sunny bank holiday weekend must be 50x worse!

*Edit: OK, occasionally!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Ben Nevis - answering the call of nature

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 am

Billy Connolly once said if he had an itchy bum walking down a busy street he would shout out "I'm going to scratch ma bum!!" and people would instinctively look away....so next time you want a wee shout out etc etc :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am

In my case just didn't go :shock: :silent: :wtf:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Raynor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Probably the only time where you are praying for clag and clouds :lol:

When you get nearer the top of the zig zags, there is some scope to go off the path to find a little privacy. You may also be able to do this at the halfway lochan section.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:31 pm

I try to be discreet in such situations but sometimes you just have to accept that finding a totally quiet spot is nigh on impossible, the Ben Nevis tourist track in summer is often very busy. Personally, I'd be on a different route, CMD Arete or a climb as I've no desire to go up the Tourist route again.

In that situation though, I'll just head off the path and try to point myself in such a way that it minimises folks getting too much of a fright. If it's crazy busy or there's lots of kids about then I might get my other half to stand in front of me.

If out with mates I suggest they look the other way and if they don't then tough.

I honestly don't care. I'm not even going to attempt to hold it in all day or get dehydrated by trying to avoid going.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby denfinella » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:39 am

Haha thanks all, yes, a bit of a tricky one. I definitely couldn't manage a full hill day without going!

When I get around to doing Ben Nevis I'm planning on the CMD ascent, but would probably still use the main path for descent.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby madprof » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:05 pm

denfinella wrote:One thing I've often* wondered about the Ben Nevis "tourist" path in peak season is - what do you do when you need a wee? :lol:

I've occasionally found it difficult to find a quiet spot on other fairly popular hills (Ben Lomond in particular), even outside the holidays, so Ben Nevis on a sunny bank holiday weekend must be 50x worse!

Had a dodgy tummy on the CMD arete on New Year's Eve. Had an emergency relief stop down in a quiet place below Aonach Beag (apart from a nice couple who saw my top half and wandered over to see what I was doing...)

Had almost turned around on the arete to help some people over it who were nervous but so glad I didn't because, I've worked out, there really is nowhere to go.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 am

I have often mentioned my recurring nightmare of finding myself in the background of a camera shot of Springwatch or some such programme; while the presenter enthuses about pine martens, I stand up from behind a rock, pulling up my trousers and clutching a bogroll, to the amusement of watching millions of telly viewers the length and breadth of the country... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:18 am

I would walk off piste (perpendicular to the tourist toute) until the curvature of the hill screened me from the crowds.

I can have that issue in southern England on a low level country walk when can be people coming along the paths at any moment, and you can't always see them coming. At least there is usually shrubbery/trees nearby to provide screening.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm

denfinella wrote:One thing I've often* wondered about the Ben Nevis "tourist" path in peak season is - what do you do when you need a wee? :lol:

Ever heard of a P bottle? Works a treat :lol: Unless a number 2 is require. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Outnabout » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:22 pm

When me and the wife used to do festivals, using the portaloos is one of the most disgusting things you will ever do especially for women, so my wife used to use a poncho in a less busy part of the festival for a pee, seemed to spare her blushes.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Outnabout wrote:When me and the wife used to do festivals, using the portaloos is one of the most disgusting things you will ever do especially for women, so my wife used to use a poncho in a less busy part of the festival for a pee, seemed to spare her blushes.

That's even more disgusting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Outnabout » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Outnabout wrote:When me and the wife used to do festivals, using the portaloos is one of the most disgusting things you will ever do especially for women, so my wife used to use a poncho in a less busy part of the festival for a pee, seemed to spare her blushes.

You ever seen in some of them at festivals, can only imagine what their house look like.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Outnabout wrote:
crfishwick wrote:

You ever seen in some of them at festivals, can only imagine what their house look like.

Never been to a festival not my scene Although my own house might not pass muster. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Manwaeadug » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 pm

At TITP I once peed in one of those mud slides that ***** slid about in to get covered head to toe in mud. Annoyed the life out of me they did! Bloody messy enough without some 2 can dan covered in 'look at me' mud clattering in to ye at the start of play!
They got mud on the Armani......I got even. :lol:

:think: They were old jeans.......maybe I overreacted. :lol:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion