walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

whale watching

whale watching

Postby jacob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:53 am

Could anyone inform me on what would be a nice spot for whale watching in April, not with a tourboot, simply from the mainland, rather not too far away from the Kyle of Lochalsh area?
Many thanks in advance.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: whale watching

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Your best chances would be on Skye: the nearest WDC Shorewatch site is Armadale Pier http://www.wdcs.org/national_regions/scotland/shorewatch/shorewatch_sites.php
Neist Point is supposedly a good spot, and Point of Sleat might also be worth a try. You will need some luck though, and calm sea conditions. Your chances of seeing something are probably a lot higher from a boat.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Skyelines » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm

I've heard of people seeing whales from Rubha Hunish https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/rubhahunish.shtml and I had a sighting of possibly a Minke whale from near Duntulm last year. Too far out to be sure, 600mm lens on the camera but didn't get the shot before it disappeared.

The "season" for whale sightings is generally regarded as from May to September with the peak being around August although there are whales around Scotland all year.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby jacob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Many thanks to the both of you! Very helpful.
jacob

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:18 pm

This may help you pick out a good spot - https://whaletrack.hwdt.org/sightings-map/ you can select by species and also by the date so you can see what has been seen where in April (handy to look at just before you go to see if anything has been reported too). Unfortunately April isn't the peak time for whale sightings.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby jacob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:41 am

Thank you as well KatTai, very useful.
I know April is slightly of-season, but hey...midgefree whalewatching counts for something as well, doesn't it? Beats seeing whales through a cloud of the little beasties anytime if you ask me.
jacob

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am

jacob wrote:Beats seeing whales through a cloud of the little beasties anytime if you ask me.

Indeed - sitting still on a calm day in the middle of midge season on Skye is not recommended!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 pm

I often see whales from the ferries to Lewis from Ullapool and Harris from Uig on the North end of Skye, also Raasay - a very short ten minute trip from Sconser on Skye which is on the Portree bus route from Kyle. Raasay is also good for walks and wildlife like otters, seals, deer and birds. The south end of the Isle of Raasay looks out over the channels between the islands of Scalpay, Raasay and Skye so any marine mammals are going to pass through the channels, making them easier to see. Basking sharks sometimes show themselves too. At Staffin Bay on the North-East part of Skye I saw a Minke Whale, I was out in my canoe when I heard a snort like a horse, and when I looked round there was the big back of a whale arching over to dive. Dolphins sometimes cavort in Loch Ainort but that is not easy to get to from Kyle unless you don't mind hitching. https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/raasay/raasay/index.html

Bay.jpg
Neist Point Cliffs - careful now...

Pilot Whales 01.jpg
Pilot Whales
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jacob » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 am

thanks Caberfeidh for your advice as well.
jacob

Postby brian2434 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 pm

The forum won't let me post a link as I've not posted enough but lots of land based whale watching locations here whaletrail dot org
brian2434
Mountaineer

Munros:47   Corbetts:108
Fionas:17   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:103

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion