walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Basecamp etiquette

Basecamp etiquette

Postby FBJimmy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are considering taking our first multiday hike this summer.

I was leafing through some old walking magazines and one option caught my eye - a three day walk around the West Mounth Hills (Trail Magazine, June 2013). The write-up suggests a 'lochside base camp' at Loch nan Run.

I've wildcamped before (not hiking) and we always considered the correct etiquette to be to clear camp first thing, but I assume the implication of calling it a 'base camp' is that you would leave the tent there, taking a load off your back for the middle day?
FBJimmy
Mountaineer

Re: Basecamp etiquette

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am

I don't think there's any etiquette about moving a base camp, other than leaving the place clean when you go.

I've certainly set up base camps from time to time, and so have plenty of other folk on this site. Some folk leave their tents in one place for several days.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:14 am

FBJimmy wrote:Hi,

My wife and I are considering taking our first multiday hike this summer.

I was leafing through some old walking magazines and one option caught my eye - a three day walk around the West Mounth Hills (Trail Magazine, June 2013). The write-up suggests a 'lochside base camp' at Loch nan Run.

I've wildcamped before (not hiking) and we always considered the correct etiquette to be to clear camp first thing, but I assume the implication of calling it a 'base camp' is that you would leave the tent there, taking a load off your back for the middle day?

Do you mean Loch nan Eun? If so, we visited there and camped for two nights at nearby Altanour, which is a wonderful sheltered place among the hills. The loch is a good spot, but Altanour is even better - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58920

We left the tents up for a day, while walking to Loch nan Eun and the nearby hills. This was during the stalking season, but we checked and there was no objection.

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am

The only *rule* in most places is the access code - obviously there are places you would be happy to leave things and places you wouldn't, and so on.

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/camping
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Etiquette wise it's fine. First come first served and you're allowed 3 days in a spot.

Bear in mind some tent materials, especially ultralight nylons, degrade under strong UV. Three days isn't enough to worry about but I watched a review of a Canadian who'd left her tent up for a month to stress test it and it was starting to degrade at the stress points.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Etiquette wise it's fine. First come first served and you're allowed 3 days in a spot.

Is that correct or etiquette? A recomendation unless in the 2003 Act stating illegal to spend more than 3 days.
crfishwick

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:51 pm

If you're quiet and leave no trace then you'll be absolutely fine. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Essan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Wild camping in one spot for a few nights is no problem. It may be advisable to leave a note (not too obvious) to say where you are going though: someone seeing the tent unattended over several days may have concerns.

I have in the past left a tent for several days whilst going off to a bothy. But this is in remote areas.

Obviously this is for wild camping, not roadside camping!
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion