walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Measuring Ascent and Descent

Measuring Ascent and Descent

Postby kenny lochaber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi- Would anyone have a recommendation as to which bit of GPS kit- A Garmin watch or whatever ( Preferably analogue rather than smart watch / phone )would be best used to calculate Distance / speed ( I know they all do that)- but also can accurately calculate the ascent you have made and also the descent you have made on a mountain walk across pathless terrain( not the actual altitude you are at) . Would appreciate any opinions as to what more experienced mountaineers found good. Thanks a lot.
kenny lochaber
Mountaineer

Munros:51   
Fionas:1   

Re: Measuring Ascent and Descent

Postby magicdin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:40 am

Or count the contours, kilometres on a paper map, that works too
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:16 am

This relates to part of you question regarding ascent/descent https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=fQOZqCDNUr9izx2Tz9g1k7
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am

kenny lochaber wrote:Hi- Would anyone have a recommendation as to which bit of GPS kit- A Garmin watch or whatever ( Preferably analogue rather than smart watch / phone )would be best used to calculate Distance / speed ( I know they all do that)- but also can accurately calculate the ascent you have made and also the descent you have made on a mountain walk across pathless terrain( not the actual altitude you are at) . Would appreciate any opinions as to what more experienced mountaineers found good. Thanks a lot.

I am not quite sure what you are asking? A normal gps will do that. Counting contours is rather hit and miss IMHO
If you want something like a watch and cheap I would recommend a Garmin Fortrex 401. Brilliant kit. Not there newest version. M.
crfishwick

Postby malky_c » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:11 am

I’d be wary of relying on any GPS unit to give accurate elevation info. I have a cheapish Garmin watch, Jaxter has a more expensive one. Mine always reads 5-10% less ascent than hers, and a count of the contours usually reveals the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think her watch works on air pressure while mine doesn’t calculate any ascent, and relies on the uploaded route being overlaid on a virtual 3D surface.

In short, counting contours is the only reliable way to know.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 am

malky_c wrote:mine doesn’t calculate any ascent, and relies on the uploaded route being overlaid on a virtual 3D surface.

.... and you will likely get different answers depending on the application you upload it to.

Contour counting is pretty good unless your route involves a lot of small ups and downs.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:31 am

malky_c wrote:I’d be wary of relying on any GPS unit to give accurate elevation info. I have a cheapish Garmin watch, Jaxter has a more expensive one. Mine always reads 5-10% less ascent than hers, and a count of the contours usually reveals the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think her watch works on air pressure while mine doesn’t calculate any ascent, and relies on the uploaded route being overlaid on a virtual 3D surface.

In short, counting contours is the only reliable way to know.

To be honest there has not been anything invented that gives you an accurate reading. :lol: That includes contour counting.
Why bother?
crfishwick

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:10 pm

crfishwick wrote:To be honest there has not been anything invented that gives you an accurate reading.

It's hard because it's a mathematically ill-defined problem, akin to the "how long is the coastline" question. And the data is noisy.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:42 pm

jmarkb wrote:
crfishwick wrote:To be honest there has not been anything invented that gives you an accurate reading.

It's hard because it's a mathematically ill-defined problem, akin to the "how long is the coastline" question. And the data is noisy.

It's hard? Every measurement has an error even the Atomic clock :lol:
No point worrying about it. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Strictly speaking, you're confusing error and uncertainty in that last comment.

There are two ways to measure your altitude. One way is to use GPS to determine your location in 3D space, the other is to use air pressure.
The weakness of using air pressure is that it's strongly affected by the weather, so you have to re-calibrate regularly otherwise you'll get calibration drift resulting in erroneous calculated altitude and hence ascent and descent. The trouble with GPS is that it's only as accurate as the GPS calculation of your position - it is possible for it to be tens or even hundreds of metres out in areas where the signal is poor.
When using either method to calculate ascent and descent, you also have to consider sampling frequency. A device will generally calculate your altitude once every x minutes and calculate altitude by drawing straight lines between the points. Clearly if you go from the bottom of the hill to the top and then back down again, sampling frequency won't make a big difference beyond possibly missing the very top of the hill. If, however, a route goes up and down a lot (a ridge, say), then a low sampling frequency will smooth out the undulations and underestimate the ascent and descent.

Long story short, pretty much any GPS or GPS equipped device will do what you want. However, not all devices are created equal and there will always be a slight difference between what the device says and your true ascent and descent so take the readings with a pinch of salt.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm

davekeiller wrote:Strictly speaking, you're confusing error and uncertainty in that last comment.

There are two ways to measure your altitude. One way is to use GPS to determine your location in 3D space, the other is to use air pressure.
The weakness of using air pressure is that it's strongly affected by the weather, so you have to re-calibrate regularly otherwise you'll get calibration drift resulting in erroneous calculated altitude and hence ascent and descent. The trouble with GPS is that it's only as accurate as the GPS calculation of your position - it is possible for it to be tens or even hundreds of metres out in areas where the signal is poor.
When using either method to calculate ascent and descent, you also have to consider sampling frequency. A device will generally calculate your altitude once every x minutes and calculate altitude by drawing straight lines between the points. Clearly if you go from the bottom of the hill to the top and then back down again, sampling frequency won't make a big difference beyond possibly missing the very top of the hill. If, however, a route goes up and down a lot (a ridge, say), then a low sampling frequency will smooth out the undulations and underestimate the ascent and descent.

Long story short, pretty much any GPS or GPS equipped device will do what you want. However, not all devices are created equal and there will always be a slight difference between what the device says and your true ascent and descent so take the readings with a pinch of salt.

:wink: I think I will leave now! Got me hat and coat. :D
crfishwick

Postby kenny lochaber » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Many Thanks for all your responses- long and short- and those with the detail- very much appreciated
kenny lochaber
Mountaineer

Munros:51   
Fionas:1   

Postby Glengavel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Just to add - GPS is less accurate in altitude because you can't see satellites below the horizon. In position, you can see satellites in every direction, which gives greater accuracy.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Glengavel wrote:Just to add - GPS is less accurate in altitude because you can't see satellites below the horizon. In position, you can see satellites in every direction, which gives greater accuracy.

??? An explanation may be required! As the first sentence goes against how all surveying organisation worlwide use gps to ascertain altitude height although in a static position.
crfishwick

Postby Glengavel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Glengavel wrote:Just to add - GPS is less accurate in altitude because you can't see satellites below the horizon. In position, you can see satellites in every direction, which gives greater accuracy.

??? An explanation may be required! As the first sentence goes against how all surveying organisation worlwide use gps to ascertain altitude height although in a static position.

Can't remember the exact details but it was to do that, with position, you can see satellites on all directions, so you get a 'balanced' fix. With altitude, you can only see satellites above you, not below you (because the earth blocks them). So you get an 'unbalanced' fix. Something to do with errors cancelling out.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion