walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Looking to climb these two beauties tomorrow morning, was just hoping someone was nearby and could let me know how they're looking?

Is there lying snow etc?

Thanks.
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby DavidShepherd » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:29 pm

I drove past on Sunday last week and there was a fair bit on both. It's not going to be much different given the weather this week, possibly more icy on the rockier parts.
Both are pretty steep at points so a definite crampons and ice axe day.
Good luck with it!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:I drove past on Sunday last week and there was a fair bit on both. It's not going to be much different given the weather this week, possibly more icy on the rockier parts.
Good luck with it!

Thanks man, I like to pre pack the rucksack so I can just park up and go. I'll make sure to have them handy. Much appreciative of your speedy reply. Have a good weekend!!
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 pm

A lot of the (fairly thin) cover from last weekend has gone - see http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/gallery.php
Still worth packing axe and crampons for these two - both have steep, high north-facing slopes on the normal route.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm

My friend was up Ben Vorlich today and sent me some photos, almost no snow at all and just a couple of tiny patches on the summit so as long as that doesn't change overnight you will be fine without using an ice axe or crampons, however it is still good practice to take them along anyway just to be safe. The extra weight will also work towards improving fitness. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby prog99 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:19 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:I drove past on Sunday last week and there was a fair bit on both. It's not going to be much different given the weather this week, possibly more icy on the rockier parts.
Good luck with it!

Umm it’s been practically tropical this week and there’s been masses of snow loss. Freezing levels just starting to drop down below the very highest summits this afternoon.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

prog99 wrote:
Good luck with it!

Umm it’s been practically tropical this week and there’s been masses of snow loss. Freezing levels just starting to drop down below the very highest summits this afternoon.

The forecasts i saw were that it was still going to be wet and cold in a lot of areas, hence the chat of ice still being around.
Cheers for the tropical exaggeration though.

@sc00ba87 - how did you get on?
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby sc00ba87 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:36 pm

DavidShepherd wrote:
prog99 wrote:
Good luck with it!

The forecasts i saw were that it was still going to be wet and cold in a lot of areas, hence the chat of ice still being around.
Cheers for the tropical exaggeration though.

@sc00ba87 - how did you get on?

Hey man, yeah we managed to tackle both in approx 8 hours car to car. It was a lovely, if a little windy, until nearer the summit of Ben Vorlich when the weather turned for the worse.

All of a sudden, it was frozen cold, we were soaked from walking through the low lying cloud and the wind was trying to blow us back down the path we'd just trodden up.

Being honest, we thought about calling it a day along with the very few others that had dared it but we persevered and took the second summit too. Route was a little tricky to follow on occasion but we got there in the end.

Certainly one of the tougher walks we've did in our fledgling walking career. Thanks for asking man!!
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion